Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap water in the city

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed their tap water is particularly rancid recently? It has an overpowering smell of chlorine and some other pungent, disinfectant like smell. As soon as you turn on the tap the smell hits you in the face and makes the water pretty much undrinkable. Anyone else noticed this? Im in Dublin 6 by the way..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Personally I wouldn't recommend drinking tap water OP. The very fact that our government adds flouride to it is enough for me. Either get a water filter or buy bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Contact the council Water Quality department & report it. They were very helpful when I had an issue in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Anyone noticed their tap water is particularly rancid recently? It has an overpowering smell of chlorine and some other pungent, disinfectant like smell. As soon as you turn on the tap the smell hits you in the face and makes the water pretty much undrinkable. Anyone else noticed this? Im in Dublin 6 by the way..

This isn't the case in Dublin 4 - the water out of our taps is lovely, same as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Yes! The tapwater was horrible yesterday morning. very chlorinated. It's better now. (I'm in Dublin 8)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't say I noticed in D4 today, or D9 during the week.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Yeah I noticed it smelled kinda "bleachy" this week - In Dublin 2.

I still drank it mind you! Mmmm bleach :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

its been like that on and off for the last 2 years. Cant believe they expect us to pay for it soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

I'm in Dublin 9. Not living here too long but yes, the water has a strong taste of chemicals.

Don't like it at all.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't recommend drinking tap water OP. The very fact that our government adds flouride to it is enough for me. Either get a water filter or buy bottled water.

I generally would drink mainly bottled water but is there any solid evidence of the negative effects of fluoride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I generally would drink mainly bottled water but is there any solid evidence of the negative effects of fluoride?

Brace yourself..... the thread is about to get interesting.

• Advertisement

I'm in Dublin 9. Not living here too long but yes, the water has a strong taste of chemicals.

Don't like it at all.

im in dublin 9 too....ever since the big freeze that knocked out the water it has been like this

im in dublin 9 too....ever since the big freeze that knocked out the water it has been like this

Unless I'm dying of thirst, I have to add something to it. Myself and herself have taken to leaving bottles of it in the fridge with lemon wedges or whatever in it.

If they're going to start charging us for water they'd want to sort out the chemical content.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Brace yourself..... the thread is about to get interesting.

Sorry, don't mean to cause an argument about this. I'd just love to know why there's so much talk about it.

I've read the crap online about "dumbing down the population" etc. Seems like nonsense to me but I'd love to be corrected on it.

Sorry, don't mean to cause an argument about this. I'd just love to know why there's so much talk about it.

I've read the crap online about "dumbing down the population" etc. Seems like nonsense to me but I'd love to be corrected on it.

my former employer was protester of fluoridation of water. He had a daughter with down syndrome and had a lot of evidence to show a link with fluoride. This was back in the days when fluoride in water was of no major concern to most people. He was a fairly intelligent man and not the type of person to have a rant unless it was necessary

my former employer was protester of fluoridation of water. He had a daughter with down syndrome and had a lot of evidence to show a link with fluoride. This was back in the days when fluoride in water was of no major concern to most people. He was a fairly intelligent man and not the type of person to have a rant unless it was necessary

A link between flouride and down syndrome?

Come on now. That's nonsense.

A link between flouride and down syndrome?

Come on now. That's nonsense.

hey....dont shoot the messenger !!!

hey....dont shoot the messenger !!!

Not at all man, it just seems like a very large assumption to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Let's stick to facts rather than unstubstaniated claims, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I use a Brita jug filter to get rid of the bad tastes, it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

reservoir levels are probably low, this can affect the water quality I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Inbox wrote: »
    I use a Brita jug filter to get rid of the bad tastes, it works great.

I noticed the local supermarket suddenly starting selling these. I wonder if it's because people in the area have been requesting them because of the gack quality of water lately.

Anyone know what the limits of chlorine/sanitizing agents is in tap water is in Ireland?

Advertisement