Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled Migrant Visa (189) Australia

Options
  • 09-07-2013 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I'm currently starting the skilled migrant visa 189 to Australia. Its coming across as really expensive. About 4 grand for me & my partner visa expenses.

I'm a Irish nurse & in order to qualify for the first step: Expression Of Interest, I have to get a full skilled assessment completed from the ANMAC.
    About 600 euro.
    ANMAC require me to sit an English exam: the IELTS exam. Another 190 euro
    My question is...
    Do I need to buy any of the practise tests or preparation books online...? (More dosh)
    And if I do, is there anyone out there who has them & doesn't need them anymore?
    Any advice would be great from anyone who has been through the 189 process, even more valuable if there's a nurse out there who has done it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

If you're worrying about how much it costs to get a resident visa then maybe you should rethink going to Australia at all. It's not cheap to live there.

There are practice test available online. Google is your friend. If you are an Irish citizen and have passed your leaving certificate there are exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Hi,
    I'm currently starting the skilled migrant visa 189 to Australia. Its coming across as really expensive. About 4 grand for me & my partner visa expenses.

4 grand is a conservative estimate i'd reckon i could be wrong. youve got to factor in flights plus start up fees. Id say your looking more like 12-15 grand. As the other poster said its expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

im in australia now and iv asked a few people who have got them in the work place....all in all you could be looking at about 5-9000 for that sort of visa

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sally Bobby

Hi
    Thanks for your information about the English exam. I've sent an email to the Nursing Council enquiring about exemption.
    I was originally hoping to go back out on a 457 visa but it seems to be harder to find a sponsor now. I did a 4 year stint before 2007.
    I thought the 189 would give us more freedom & security.
    I understand the standard of living has increased dramatically in Australia but if we stay in Ireland, we're looking at a much bleaker picture. We simply can't sustain any more bills & my partner is in construction.
    Can any one recommend a good nursing recruitment agency ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Hi Sally, did you manage to sort out your 189 visa after?
    I'm starting the process now as an accountant and just did my IELTS exam on Sat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was just about to post that $4k is way off given that the visa fee for a couple is $5280, then I seen the thread is 2 years old.

whatif..., you are probably better off asking in the general migration thread

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

whatif... wrote: »
    Hi Sally, did you manage to sort out your 189 visa after?
    I'm starting the process now as an accountant and just did my IELTS exam on Sat

Recently completed my 189 application if you have any questions?

Recently completed my 189 application if you have any questions?

Hey - ya thanks - one in particular I've emailed about but haven't received an answer.
    I was getting my student transcript results together & the form askes for the Student Handbook also?! Are they asking for the course syllabus or did you just leave this out? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Hi whatif,

Before you spend any more money, I would hold off getting anymore info together until the SOL is released for the 2015-16 year. There has been much speculation that accountants will be removed from the SOL which will mean that the 189 is not an option for you.

I am in the same boat, have everything done (skills assessment completed included) but just missed this years cut off as the occupation ceiling has been reached for 2015 for accountants.

If accountants are removed from the SOL, this means that for PR you would most likely have to go down the 186 route (you are still in Ireland yes?). This is an employer sponsered PR visa and works from the CSOL which it has not been suggested accountants may be removed from (but who knows)

My advice would be to not spend any more money until the SOL is released hopefully later this month. My EOI is in so I'm hoping to get a quick invite in July 15 provided accountants stay on the SOL (i applied with 65 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I've read online that there will be no more invites in any occupation before July, seemingly confirmed with DIBP.

• Advertisement

Thanks Legend 100 - what's the best website to see how many places there are for the SOL?

Anybody know how much work experience is required before applying for the Skilled Employment Assessment?

I'm applying for my skills assessment and employment assessment at the same time.
    I've been working as a chartered accountant for around 8 months - somebody told me I need at least a year's employment before I can apply - but I don't see anything like this on the website - only that I need >20hrs/wk in continuous employment over 'a period of time'

Advertisement