Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We all need to "chill out"

Options
  • 09-07-2013 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

So says the newspaper of record!

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/off-road-triathlon-with-a-little-less-attitude-1.1456721
    That said you don’t want to make things too exclusive. The most active thread in the triathlon forum on Boards.ie recently asked if triathlon had got too open, ie was it being made too easy to account for all the “newbies”?
    Chill out guys and girls. Most of us are going to be back at the desk on Monday, not training for our next Ironman. If you are taking your sport that seriously, are you still having fun?

Personally I'm outraged! That wasn't what the thread was about at all-I thought it was more about unreasonable cancellations meaning too many shortened events. Given Fintan O'Toole's recent anti-cyclist rant and the relentlessly negative articles published during National Bike Week, it makes me wonder what axe the IT have to grind.

What do you think? Gentle harmless ribbing or the last gasps of a dying institution trying to increase circulation by needlessly being contrarian?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The message I got from that article was that 'adventure' racers were failed triathletes, and triathletes were failed runners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

looks like somebody really needs to chill out')
    And also better a failed triathlete in a sport where Europe wins than a runner where Europeans are at best 3rd class at world level ')
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    So says the newspaper of record!

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/off-road-triathlon-with-a-little-less-attitude-1.1456721

Personally I'm outraged! That wasn't what the thread was about at all-I thought it was more about unreasonable cancellations meaning too many shortened events. Given Fintan O'Toole's recent anti-cyclist rant and the relentlessly negative articles published during National Bike Week, it makes me wonder what axe the IT have to grind.

What do you think? Gentle harmless ribbing or the last gasps of a dying institution trying to increase circulation by needlessly being contrarian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I'd say enduro is spitting feathers after reading that.

There's probably a bit of truth to it. No-one likes triathletes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

These 'adventure racers' really do need to get over their inability to swim and accept it gracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'd say enduro is spitting feathers after reading that.

Yup, was just starting to post but decided better of it and sat back to chill out instead :)

Just another clueless journo who has progressed from knowing feck all about one sport to knowing feck all about multiple sports.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*Hi John* (You just know he is reading this).

Are we still having fun? Jeez, dont you read Dorys log?

The only bit he got right was that we take ourselves seriously. So do fly fishers. And hurlers. And anyone big into their sport/hobby.

Otherwise it was ill informed filler from a guy who doesn't know enough to realise how much he doesnt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Is the Irish Times still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I blame that Paul in Accounts guy. If Paul wasn't so boring I reckon John would like triathletes at little more.

Paul needs to kayak up a mountain or something and show John it's not all serious business (but he better have stats on heart rate, power, cadence and speed for the rest of us to study).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are people who like doing an occasional 'event' - DCM, Great Ireland run, Gaelforce, Dublin Tri, mudrun, Sean Kelly tour, whatever - and are happy if they finish it, maybe a bit faster than the year before or ahead of one of their mates.

And there are people who train first and pick an event afterwards (and go back to training after that)

One group needs to chill out, the other needs to stop ****ing around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well I never... A thread I started has been turned into an article in a failing newspaper... is this what fame feels like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mloc123 wrote: »
    Well I never... A thread I started has been turned into an article in a failing newspaper... is this what fame feels like?

You should get onto them looking for your cut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Oryx wrote: »
    *Hi John* (You just know he is reading this).

Are we still having fun? Jeez, dont you read Dorys log?

The only bit he got right was that we take ourselves seriously. So do fly fishers. And hurlers. And anyone big into their sport/hobby.

Otherwise it was ill informed filler from a guy who doesn't know enough to realise how much he doesnt know.

could you actually tell me whats ill imforemd in this article he gets it quite right from a point where 90 % of the poplation stand.

I am actually suprised Gavin did not ask for his own elite wave last weekend ( he would have had a very good point ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well from reading the most popular threads here recently, I would have read it as this :P
    RayCun wrote: »
    The message I got from that article was that 'adventure' racers were failed triathletes, and triathletes were cheats :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

peter kern wrote: »
    could you actually tell me whats ill imforemd in this article he gets it quite right from a point where 90 % of the poplation stand.
    He calls Dublin Dares You an adventure race.

Adventure racing is not an off road triathlon. Its a multisport race. No swim, no tri!

Wetsuits are utterly flattering on the right people. :P

Advertisement