Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Payee money Transfer to Australia ?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Does anyone know if there is a charge with Bank of Ireland if I set up my Australia bank account has a payee and transfer a couple of thousand to my Australia account ? And will it automatically change currency?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

There will be a charge - i don't know how much but with Danske bank it is €15 for an express transfer and €12 for a standard transfer. Also you will teansfer in euro and receive in AUD.

My suggestion is instead to open an account with currencyfair.ie. thiey operate a 'peer to peer' exchange and it only costs €4 to send money to Oz and you'll get a much better exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 on Mel b I use currency fair regularly and find it very handy and good rates, screw the banks at every opportunity is my motto

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iphone4quest

thanks.

the exchange rate with BOI at the moment is shocking.

Set up currency fair and it's requesting a scan of my passport/drivers licence and a bill with prof of address.

I have no scanner and only arrived in Oz, so therefore have no bills..

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

See if there is a Kinkos (if they still exist) or another place like a library where you can scan your passport. It's always a good idea when you go travelling to have a scan of your passport and other important documents saved in your email or somewhere like dropbox on case they get lost / stolen and this is another reason now.

As for proof of address, i'm not sure - contact currencyfair and see what they suggest. I presume you have joined a bank - can you get them to print you a statement, or what abut your letter from the tax office with your TFN number - they may be enough??

Advertisement