Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile insurance - Sim free phone

Options
  • 09-07-2013 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, can anyone tell me what happens on a claim for loss with mobile insurance when you have a sim free phone? Who actually provides the new phone? If i remember correctly the phone comes from the service provider, arranged by the insurance company, but i may be wrong.

Examples :
    1)Sim free phone from amazon, purchase info available, correct model insured, on an irish network

2)Unlocked phone bought from one network, using sim card from another network, correct model insured

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I too wonder this. I've a Note II from Amazon, on Three's 3Pay, and as per all insurance, you only can claim when the IMEI is blocked and the police are informed. Now, Three say that they do not take the IMEI numbers of 'non-Three handsets'.

What can the state of play be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mc_dida

Guess no one has had a similar situation before so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

mc_dida wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me what happens on a claim for loss with mobile insurance when you have a sim free phone? Who actually provides the new phone? If i remember correctly the phone comes from the service provider, arranged by the insurance company, but i may be wrong.

Examples :
    1)Sim free phone from amazon, purchase info available, correct model insured, on an irish network

2)Unlocked phone bought from one network, using sim card from another network, correct model insured

I always thought you will be cover in both cases, as I thought Insurance company will be blocking phone by IEMI to be use in Ireland but I think there was a case here before about it, Insurance will not settle claim as the networks in Ireland will not block phone by IEMI as phone was not bought by them or IEMI wasn't register with them, insurance company wanted a letter from Network to say it was block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

So, what can be done about it for us so? There's no point paying for insurance if it can't be claimed upon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

This is amazing. Surely the network the phone was being used on at the time of loss should arrange for it to be locked? What difference should who the original seller of the phone make?

Perhaps Comreg should get involved in this. Not that I would place too much faith in those guys solving this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement