Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on Lawnmower

• 09-07-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

New house and with it came a garden about .75-1 acre in size. Flat at the back but a fairly hefty slope (~30Deg) at the front.

Any recommendations on a good ride on to do the job? Looking for one with a large cutting deck, mulcher and collector. Brand new or second hand.

Obviously the cheaper the better. Based in midlands too.

Cheers,

Stooge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭blackbox

For a steep slope I would strongly recommend a 4-wheel drive.

Collection may be difficult on a steep slope unless you get one that collects into a trailer (weight of collected grass takes weight off front wheels).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Thanks for the reply blackbox! I wouldve thought there would be more opinions or feedback on this :o

Have been offered a brand new craftsman 17.5hp B&S engine with mulcher and collector, hydro for 2100. 38 inch deck. No fuel pump though.

4wd will add on more money to what is already an expensive purchase :( If anybody is selling or knows of any going can you give me a shout?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

stooge wrote: »
    I wouldve thought there would be more opinions or feedback on this

the lack of feedback is because there a lots of threads about ride on mowers, have a search there and you'll find all the information your looking for

in fairness to myself I've had a look on the big lawnmower thread and havent found the information I need. Many opinions seem to be a little old and I am looking for current 'bargains' or offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

in fairness to myself I've had a look on the big lawnmower thread and havent found the information I need. Many opinions seem to be a little old and I am looking for current 'bargains' or offers.

Walk behind mower, Honda, Viking, or snapper.

You can do an acre especially if awkward like a slope quicker than a ride on. I am a pro gardener and only use walk behinds.

A good Honda etc. should cost between €700-€1500. Don't forget to ask the dealer for their best price if they don't offer one go elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Thanks monkeynuz, the slope on the garden is quite steep so I dont think a ride-on would perform that well. Going to see if I can stretch to a walk behind and a ride-on and use them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭irishshadowfax

Hi Stooge, how did you get on in the end? I'm in the exact same boat, got a 30 degree slope also, was going for the new Honda HRX537 HYE this week which I was getting at a good price but that all fell through (long story). Now I'm thinking again about the ride-on. Pic of lawn attached.

Hi Stooge, how did you get on in the end? I'm in the exact same boat, got a 30 degree slope also, was going for the new Honda HRX537 HYE this week which I was getting at a good price but that all fell through (long story). Now I'm thinking again about the ride-on. Pic of lawn attached.

Hi,

I ended up buying the Craftsman that I mentioned earlier in this thread. 17.5hp B&S engine with mulcher and collector, hydro for E2000. 38 inch deck.

It's going well, a little heavy and slow going up the slope but if you keep the grass height down by regular cutting then I can do my lawn in about an hour. (I actually underestimated the size as I have approx 1.25 acres to cut! It is also a bit awkward when it comes to turning, the turning circle isnt great so going round obstacles like trees and such takes a few goes. As a result I would suggest looking into a zero turn mower.

If you want I can PM you details of where I got it, but I did buy the last one in stock and they said they probably wont get more in until next year. There was another local dealer with the same type machine for about 500E more.

Hi,

I ended up buying the Craftsman that I mentioned earlier in this thread. 17.5hp B&S engine with mulcher and collector, hydro for E2000. 38 inch deck.

It's going well, a little heavy and slow going up the slope but if you keep the grass height down by regular cutting then I can do my lawn in about an hour. (I actually underestimated the size as I have approx 1.25 acres to cut! It is also a bit awkward when it comes to turning, the turning circle isnt great so going round obstacles like trees and such takes a few goes. As a result I would suggest looking into a zero turn mower.

If you want I can PM you details of where I got it, but I did buy the last one in stock and they said they probably wont get more in until next year. There was another local dealer with the same type machine for about 500E more.

Thanks Stooge, much appreciated and will keep this in mind.

IS

• Registered Users Posts: 3 milano35

Similiar lawn myself. Because of the slope you are best to get a mower that has an engine with full oil pressure lubrication. I know kolher and Kawasaki engine have this. Some husqvarna and cub cadet mowers use them.

• Advertisement

milano35 wrote: »
    Similiar lawn myself. Because of the slope you are best to get a mower that has an engine with full oil pressure lubrication. I know kolher and Kawasaki engine have this. Some husqvarna and cub cadet mowers use them.

Thanks Milano - I was thinking of getting http://www.esaleslocal.com/Alpina-A98HB.htm It has the same chassis, deck and engine as the Castelgarden XD140HD but is a different colour. I'm guessing this would not have the full oil pressure lubrication - How would I look out for this on a technical spec ?

Also do you think 4 wheel drive may be required?

Thanks
    IS

milano35 wrote: »

Yeah, I did want to get one with an oil pump but the extra cost meant that I couldnt afford it. Over time the engine could be damaged while on the slope but with regular servicing and keeping it in good shape you can minimize the impact.

An engine with full oil pressure lubrication will make a difference on a slope. It will allow you to go sideways on the slope without causing the engine stress. You should be able to get a quality mower with a 17hp kohler for <2000.

I use a husqvarna CTH171 myself with a 38" deck. If the ground is wet, I sometimes get slipping on the steeper parts of the garden when mowing sideways. This is easily sorted by shifting you weight onto the spinning wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 NicoDuranton

Hello,
    I'm digging up the trail because I am in the same situation: I am looking into buying a ride on after wasting 2 years and countless hours mowing 1 acre with a push mower...
    I thought about buying the fellow first:

http://www.mcculloch.com/ie/products/tractors/m125-97hrb/

but after reading the trail, I understand I would be better off with a fully pressured engine since there are some steep slopes in my garden.

My budget lies around €2000 and I was thinking about one of these 2 models:

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/garden-tractors/compare-garden-tractors/?nid=498553,498531

Any thoughts - advises?
    I intended to buy online but would be glad to buy locally (Cork - Macroom area) if possible.

Thanks a million!

Nick

I would recommend kohler if you have slopes. I use a CTH myself as the hydrostatic transmission makes life easier on the slopes. I'm not sure if you are interested in 2nd hand but after a quick check on done deal I see a CTH191 for sale in your area. Big engine, full oil pressure, hydro transmission, mulch/collect option. Might be worth a look ?

Sure enough, I am open to anything because anything is better than what I have at the moment. ;)

Hi Nick, was looking at the LTH 154 too, fits everything for my needs; hydro, full pressure lub, mulch (dont want/need a collector), and priced at €2,600 - all husq stockist showing the same price... I'm in the Kenmare area so wouldn't be too far - I was thinking of getting the bigger CTH194 for €2760 from the North but have been advised most important thing is buy local cause they'd be much more inclined to help out if something goes wrong as well as parts and servicing each year.

Purchasing a CTH194 from the North or a LTH locally both appear to be largely outside of my budget, unfortunately.
    But now that I know what to look for and which criteria I have to take into account, I'll stay on the lookout.
    I'd prefer to purchase locally too, for the obvious ease of service reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you thought about a two stroke? AS motor make very nice mowers that are suitable for slopes and the like.

Advertisement