Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age for trampolines

Options
  • 09-07-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    We have a 3.7 year old. Is he too young for a trampoline with the safety netting?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

He is not too young. He will love it.

Even our youngest ( 20 mth old ) is on it many times a day and has done so for a while. I use it to lay out and read !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

marizpan wrote: »
    He is not too young. He will love it.

Even our youngest ( 20 mth old ) is on it many times a day and has done so for a while. I use it to lay out and read !

Which one did you get? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Which one did you get? Thanks.

We purchased ours from symths and choose the middle size. I think it was priced then for about €160-170.

The ladder for it was a very expensive extra at €40, so we use a toddler slide placed next to the entrance instead. Cheaper and more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

We got our trampoline when my son was 1 and it was the best toy we ever bought. If you have the space go for at least a 10' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

We bought the 8ft trampoline in Smyths a few yers back for our daughters 4th birthday, i was a bit dubious about it at the beginning but it has been the best purchase we have made for the garden, her and the friends are never off it and the 'big' kids are also known to hsve a little bounce late at night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Me too..... We purchased an 8ft one with netting when our eldest was 5 , we got it at the end of the summer when the prices were good.

The best purchase ever !

Now 7 she still loves it , and our now 2YO loves it too.

Couple of rules we make , and STRICTLY ENFORCE

a) The must close the entrance to the netting
    b) NO FLIPPING in any way shape or form

The only thing , it makes s**t of the lawn , we gave up moving it around , and we now have a lovely bare patch , but I suppose it will recover when they grow up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm going to disagree and say don't buy one.

My 10 year old DD had a very simple fall on one right at the start of the school holidays. She is very quiet and there would be no messing. She broke her elbow and has a full arm cast for the summer holidays. :mad:

I got rid of mine several days later. We had the safety net, under net, everything needed and a simple fall resulted in a very nasty injury. While we were waiting at the fracture clinic, there were numerous children there with breaks from trampolines.

They are also not meant for children under 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Knine wrote: »
    I'm going to disagree and say don't buy one.

My 10 year old DD had a very simple fall on one right at the start of the school holidays. She is very quiet and there would be no messing. She broke her elbow and has a full arm cast for the summer holidays. :mad:

I got rid of mine several days later. We had the safety net, under net, everything needed and a simple fall resulted in a very nasty injury. While we were waiting at the fracture clinic, there were numerous children there with breaks from trampolines.

They are also not meant for children under 5.

I've a friend who's an A&E nurse and she reckons accidents involving bouncy castles/trampolines are one of the the most common injuries in A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

My son broke his leg after his brother fell on him on the trampoline. Did keep it for a while after but after several more bumps on the head ect from kids crashing into one another we got rid. Now they have taken to trying to spin right over the top of the swings. Might get rid of them.....but I believe the adoption process is a bit drawn out ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭corklad12

I know a radiographer and she says there were accidents with trampolines a few years ago but they have died down a good bit now. Before that there were loads of accidents with heelys and another time especially around Christmas during the mid 2000's there were a lot of go-cart accidents. With kids they will always have little accidents. I wouldn't let this put you off getting a trampoline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

corklad12 wrote: »
    I know a radiographer and she says there were accidents with trampolines a few years ago but they have died down a good bit now. Before that there were loads of accidents with heelys and another time especially around Christmas during the mid 2000's there were a lot of go-cart accidents. With kids they will always have little accidents. I wouldn't let this put you off getting a trampoline.

Yeah I agree. Mine are looking for skateboards now. The thoughts of it givee chest pains but can't wrap them in cotton wool forever. I may get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    We got our trampoline when my son was 1 and it was the best toy we ever bought. If you have the space go for at least a 10' one.

+1

It's a great exercise as it works nearly every muscle in the body. The kids also use it as a playroom (their "house")

I would have preferred a smaller one as the 10' one has taken over the garden, but you really need that size. A 8' one is too small, unless only 1 very small child would ever use it at the same time. Fat chance :D

Advertisement