Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gloveless,T-Shirt,Shorts and Runners on a Fireblade

• 09-07-2013 11:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a chap riding in the above mentioned clothes on a 00 reg Fireblade.

He fairly flew way from the traffic lights allmost side swiping a long line of cars.

Just a word of caution to all here.

Yep,the weather is scorching hot (30-31 degrees C today expected).......but so too will you body be scorching,if you get knocked off your bike wearing clothes like the above and your body is being cheese grated by the road surface.

Dont let your guard down,with regards safety,just because the weather is nice.

Take care and be safe.

Regards.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Was the rider wearing a helmet?

That is all you are legally required to wear when on a motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

..... ignoring the pile of dirt in the second post .....

I do agree with you Paddy. The hot weather does tend to make a few people weigh up the odds of melting in the gear and taking the risk of just wearing less protective gear.

On Sunday a mate told me he took his bandit out for a spin in shorts and a t-shirt and he said it felt great being out for a spin in the heat without all the gear.

I genuinely couldn't get my head around it because all the "what if" in my mind.
    But then again, if we focus on what iffs then none of us would ever relax and drive a bike at all.

goodlad wrote: »
    ..... ignoring the pile of dirt in the second post .....

Are you saying that I am wrong?
    Or are you trying to imply the law is wrong?
    Or are you trying to imply that there should be no individual choice?

If I am wrong, please correct me, as I have always understood that legally the only protective gear you are required to wear is a helmet.

If I am not wrong about the law, then once someone has a helmet on the rest is individual choice.

I am not telling anyone what to wear or what not to wear, I am saying the choice is yours to make.
    I am also not trying to imply that more gear is not safer or better in an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

in fairness, with the hot weather the body temp while wearing textiles or even leathers can get a tad high.

happened to myself and some friends in Gibraltar coming back across the border - mid day stupid heat, lid and tee and shorts cos we would have passed out in atgatt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Jaysus... the dirt just keeps piling up in here. Someone should sweep up or something...
    kaimera wrote: »
    in fairness, with the hot weather the body temp while wearing textiles or even leathers can get a tad high.

happened to myself and some friends in Gibraltar coming back across the border - mid day stupid heat, lid and tee and shorts cos we would have passed out in atgatt.

Yeah it can get fierce warm. I whipped out the liners in my textiles and just had tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt on under my textiles and was melting the other day.

Although im sure the heat in Gibraltar was a lot higher than here so like you says, you whipped the gear or you would of passed out.

I just couldn't ever see the temps we get here in Ireland be enough for me to head out in little or not protective gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Sweat washes off, road rash doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

OH-BOY-ITS-THIS-THREAD-AGAIN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

regardless if you're on a scooter or a fireblade, its the same tarmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wossack wrote: »
    OH-BOY-ITS-THIS-THREAD-AGAIN.jpg

+1

Saw a guy on a beemer in slax ,shirt and tie...guy on a wing t-shirt and shorts........and this was only in Bray ....whats the world copming too...:rolleyes:....ETHO i say (again)....;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Didn't realise you were a member of the fashion police Paddy.

Have you rang Joe Duffy about it yet?

• Advertisement

Was in mondello yesterday, fcuk me it was a mare...ATG on...probably 28 degrees....uncomfortable but totally worth it....makes you realise what all the racers have to put up with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Was in mondello yesterday, fcuk me it was a mare...ATG on...probably 28 degrees....uncomfortable but totally worth it....makes you realise what all the racers have to put up with...

the unimaginable is that along with hayfever without being aloud to take medication!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I will save you all the bother and just delete this thread now!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hydration is the key TBH

goodlad wrote: »
    Jaysus... the dirt just keeps piling up in here. Someone should sweep up or something...

The only stuff that needs to be swept up here is the ****e from the high horses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

P.C. wrote: »
    Was the rider wearing a helmet?

That is all you are legally required to wear when on a motorcycle.

No he was wearing a 5 gallon cowboy hat...:pac:

Yes he was wearing his crash helmet.....a badly scratched/scraped Arai one to be exact.

Appoliges for the late reply,as we just back home from visting Mount Usher Gardens and also lying on the beach and going for a nice swim.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Can't believe the same topic keeps rearing it's head. It's simple - live and let live! If someone wants to head off on their bike dressed for the beach, leave him at it. At the same time, if someone decides to wear full leathers, so what?

I had to head in to Navan yesterday. It was 29C when I left. I had on full leathers, gloves and boots. Yeah I was melting, but it was my choice. Passed a couple of lads in shorts and flip-flops. They nodded, I nodded back... Leave them at it.

The law may say we only have to wear a helmet, the rest is up to us. That's fair enough, I'll still wear my leathers and boots though. Just in case. :)

paddy147 wrote: »
    going for a nice swim.:)

Hope you wore a lifejacket, can't be taking unnecessary risks now...

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Didn't realise you were a member of the fashion police Paddy.

Have you rang Joe Duffy about it yet?

When I saw that lad on the Fireblade and thought about the possible scenario/outcome,I felt compelled to post this thread purely on the safety awareness aspect of it..

In the event of an RTA then the rider could suffer possible life changing injuries or even worse.....a fatality and another family left without a father or a brother or a son.

No biker and family wants/needs that to happen to them.

The reason for posting this thread was/is to just make everyone (newbies and experienced bikers alike) more aware and not to let their guard slip,because the weather is scorching hot.

If you want to slagg me off for posting this thread as a safety reminder to all bikers,then fine,work away.

But surely making all bikers (newbies and experienced) more safety aware and reminding them to keep up their safety guard (even in this hot sunny weather) is a worthwhile cause.

Maybe you dont see it that way,but I do see it that way.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

into galway with the civvie this morning, full leathers and fecking melting.... saw about 4 or 5 lads with t shirts and shorts today. wish i was brave enough to do it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Can't believe the same topic keeps rearing it's head. It's simple - live and let live! If someone wants to head off on their bike dressed for the beach, leave him at it. At the same time, if someone decides to wear full leathers, so what?

I had to head in to Navan yesterday. It was 29C when I left. I had on full leathers, gloves and boots. Yeah I was melting, but it was my choice. Passed a couple of lads in shorts and flip-flops. They nodded, I nodded back... Leave them at it.

The law may say we only have to wear a helmet, the rest is up to us. That's fair enough, I'll still wear my leathers and boots though. Just in case. :)

Exactly. Numb nuts like to form an opinion of lads when it got nothing to do with them.
    Sure its dangerous , biking in general is dangerous. If they want to stay safe , walk. (away form the road).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

hm baddly scratched arai.. well u must have been with him on the bike as passenger to spot that.

i think wishing to all safe drive is one thing, but going further with this "clothing eticket" is mad.

i think u care way to much about others.

no ofense please. with all respect

Ed

Bikerguy wrote: »
    hm baddly scratched arai.. well u must have been with him on the bike as passenger to spot that.

i think wishing to all safe drive is one thing, but going further with this "clothing eticket" is mad.

i think u care way to much about others.

no ofense please. with all respect

Ed

I was actually crossing at the traffic lights and the bike/rider was all of 2 feet away from me stopped at the red lights.The crash helmet and visor had seen much better days.The side of the helmet (his right side) looked like it had been on contact with either tarmac or a wall or some object,as it was fairly heavily scraped and bashed up.

I do care....honestly I do.

And I certainly did not intend for this thread to go the way it has gone.

All I was trying to do was to keep the safety issue at the front of everyones mind,whether they be a complete newbie to biking or a long term experienced biker......(seen as the lovely hot weather can sometimes lull people into a false sense of security).

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And I certainly did not intend for this thread to go the way it has gone.

See, that's the problem with expressing an opinion, other people might not agree with you :rolleyes: :pac:
    All I was trying to do was to keep the safety issue at the front of everyones mind,whether they be a complete newbie to biking or a long term experienced biker......(seen as the lovely hot weather can sometimes lull people into a false sense of security)

Sorry but I've heard enough patronising sh**e about riding motorcycles from the likes of Gay Byrne (who at least rides one), Noel Brett, Conor Faughnan etc. to last me a lifetime already. This stuff is all over the ROTR and theory test etc. You'll be reminding us to keep left next :rolleyes:

BTW I ride ATGATT and have done so in 35C+ weather, but that's my choice.

Taking your safety argument to its logical conclusion, the conclusion is leave the bike at home because it'll never be the safest option.

Motorcycling is doomed if the safety argument is ever allowed to trump the liberty argument. But individual liberty is not highly regarded in this country...

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    See, that's the problem with expressing an opinion, other people might not agree with you :rolleyes: :pac:

Sorry but I've heard enough patronising sh**e about riding motorcycles from the likes of Gay Byrne (who at least rides one), Noel Brett, Conor Faughnan etc. to last me a lifetime already. This stuff is all over the ROTR and theory test etc. You'll be reminding us to keep left next :rolleyes:

BTW I ride ATGATT and have done so in 35C+ weather, but that's my choice.

Taking your safety argument to its logical conclusion, the conclusion is leave the bike at home because it'll never be the safest option.

Motorcycling is doomed if the safety argument is ever allowed to trump the liberty argument. But individual liberty is not highly regarded in this country...

I posted the thread as a simple reminder to both newbie bikers and experienced bikers.
    People who may usually wear all their gear,but who might possibly be lulled into a false sense of security seen as the sunny hot weather can sometimes do this to peoples minds and not needing to wear protective gear.....(like how dare I think of bike safety and even mention it here on a motorbike forum).

I didnt post this thread to offend anyone or start an arguement with anyone,and Im not wanting an arguement with anyone.
    If people want to slagg me off for posting this thread,then so be it,but Im not going to slagg them back.

All I was saying was to not let the hot sunny weather lull a biker into a false sense of security,with regards their biking,their personal safety and their approach to it.

I honestly and genuinely do hope everyone stays safe while out biking (whether it be a moped,scooter or a superbike) in this lovely hot weather....(and in all weather too).....and that they think of and put their own safety on a bike 1st and foremost.:)

Thanks and Regards.

I was actually crossing at the traffic lights and the bike/rider was all of 2 feet away from me stopped at the red lights.

I do care....honestly I do.

QUOTE]

If it bothered you that much paddy, you should have had a word with the guy, if you were that close....but i think he might have told you where to go ....;)

These "clothing " threads always end up this way...i'd have thought youd know this by now....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paddy, the mistake you're making is to assume people making a choice you don't agree with are doing so out of ignorance. This is the exact same as the people who feel the need to tell riders that 'bikes are dangerous' at every opportunity even though they've never sat on one on their life.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

why
    do
    we
    need
    all
    the
    big
    gaps
    in
    a

Bumped into the very same lad and bike about an hour ago down at Tesco in Artane Castle.

Happened to be looking at the polished exhaust piping and end can on the bike,when out comes the biker himself from being in Tesco.

He had on a black bike jacket and a alpine stars gloves.
    Kevlar jeans and a pair of black boots on him.

Chatted with him in a light hearted manner and he told me that a garda bike stopped him outside The Regency Hotel yesterday to "chat" to him about his lack of atire and to think of his safety in the event of a car smacking him off his bike.

He said himself that he "wasnt on the ball" yesterday and was just to fcuking tired and hot to be bothered with his gear.

Told me that him and his missus have a 3 week old baby girl who is screaming the house down at the momment.I said congratts to him and his missus on their baby.:)
    He said back.....need to think of her now and be there for her,so back on with me gear so.Sweating like a pig here but fcuk it.
    We joked about how its a good way to sweat off a few pounds......,as he said himself......who needs a gym in this weather.

He showed me a few pics off his phone of his other bike,a lovely polished frame TLR 1000.

He shook my hand,I shook his hand,wished each other well and he was off on his merry way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

...and all was right with the world :D

Advertisement