Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local outdoor swimming spots

Options
  • 09-07-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

anywhere decent to go for a swim besides the canal and the tolka? I was thinking perhaps the liffey in certain spots?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

As a kayaker I'd advise to wash your hands straight after going swimming in the liffey, wiels disease is a known problem in spots along the river.

I don't know of any particular spots in d15 unfortunately, but there's a few lakes in Wicklow and the seaside isn't too far away either..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Apparently there is a 'lake' of some description up in Tyrrelstown. You get to it by walking down through the fields from the schools.
    I haven't seen it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a man made lake small lake, similar to what's in Waterville. Plus access is officially prohibited at the moment as there's still works going on. There's fencing up but it's easy to get over it at one of the little bridges

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Anyone know how far tide needs to be in to swim at Half Moon on east wall. At 6pm on Friday, tide will be half way out!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

anywhere decent to go for a swim besides the canal and the tolka? I was thinking perhaps the liffey in certain spots?

Jesus, the canal and tolka......decent :eek:

Before going swimming think "Would I drink this water?" because you will ingest a bit of it during swimming.
    Tolka [No]
    Liffey [No]
    Canal [Not even if you paid me]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Unfortunately Ireland and Dublin has a severe lack of outdoor swimming pools.

Canals and rivers can be dangerous as well as dirty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I decided to go to brittas bay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good call man, far too many stories of tragic drownings this week, theres nothing to be said for swimming in the canals and rivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Unfortunately Ireland and Dublin has a severe lack of outdoor swimming pools.
    To be honest it's not warm enough on enough days of the year to make sense to build them. The summers can be a total washout oftentimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've tried outdoor pools in this country in the past, and they've been extremely unpleasant experiences. Way too cold, and generally very dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was walking down along the Royal Canal today near Drumcondra and Mountjoy Prison (admittedly that was D7/D9)and saw a chap swimming in the lock near the Brendan Behan statue at Binn's Bridge. Not if you paid me!!!

Also saw photos of kids from in Ballyfermot taking a dip in the Grand Canal, is that as mankey as its north side counterpart?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Before going swimming think "Would I drink this water?" because you will ingest a bit of it during swimming.
    Tolka [No]
    Liffey [No]
    Canal [Not even if you paid me]

Would ya drink sea water ?

Would ya drink sea water ?

Generally applies to freshwater but I wouldn't mind it if I was swimming in it.
    Sure a bit of dehydration never hurt anyone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Howsabout swimming pool water ? Or used bath water ?????

Only ever swim in pure evian peeps ;-)

Advertisement