Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little Black Box

• 09-07-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Has anyone had a look at this, http://www.thelittleblackbox.nl/en/
    I have been using XBMC for a while now with a PC with all my media upstairs and another PC in the living room which is connected to my 42" TV in the kitchen so I can't hear it in the next room. But now I am currently installing a projector in the sitting room and looking to get something quiet to use in there.
    What are your impressions of the Little Black Box I was going to buy a Mac Mini and use that or build a dedicated HTPC but this little box looks great for the money.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got a link to the specifications?

Specs are on the website, its an Amlogic M3 box.

Specs are on the website, its an Amlogic M3 box.

If I could see the specs I would not have asked ....... and I still cannot see the specs so your post was not at all helpful.

Thank you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭corkscott

here are specs

An XBMC Linux STB called The Little Black Box has been officially announced today. This XBMC device is powered by AMLogic AML8726-M3 @ 1 GHz, and comes with 1GB RAM, 4GB Flash, HDMI and AV output and more..

Little Black Box hardware specifications:
    SoC – AMLogic AML8726-M3 ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz + Mali-400 GPU

Dual Sided Remote
    System Memory – 1GB RAM
    Storage – 4GB NAND Flash
    Video Output – HDMI (1080p) and composite
    Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet + 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
    USB – 2x USB host ports
    Weight – 500 g
    Dimensions – 10 x 10 x 3 cm
    The package will come with the box, a dual sided RF remote with a qwerty keyboard and standard remote buttons (pictured on the right), an HDMI cable, a power supply, and a quick start guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

If I could see the specs I would not have asked ....... and I still cannot see the specs so your post was not at all helpful.

Thank you anyway.

There is an Additional Information tab here but here is the information:
    Additional Information
    Weight 0.50 kg
    Dimensions 10 x 10 x 3 cm
    Chipset Family ARM Cortex A9
    Chipset Model Amlogic 8726-M3
    Chipset GPU Mali400
    Intern Geheugen 1GB
    Intern Opslag 4GB
    USB 2 keer
    LAN 10/100 MBit
    WIFI a/b/g/n
    Video Output HDMI
    Audio Output HDMI
    Max Resolutie 1080p [Full HD]
    Additionele Informatie Ondanks dat er analoge composiet A/V uitgangen zichtbaar zijn, zijn deze software matig niet aangesloten. De software is geoptimaliseerd voor een minimale resolutie van 720p wat het gebruik van composiet slecht mogelijk maakt.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link and information ..... appreciated.

Not that it matters to me, as I would be using HDMI, but this looks a little 'odd' .....
    Additionele Informatie Ondanks dat er analoge composiet A/V uitgangen zichtbaar zijn, zijn deze software matig niet aangesloten. De software is geoptimaliseerd voor een minimale resolutie van 720p wat het gebruik van composiet slecht mogelijk maakt.

Google Translate:

Additional Information Despite the analog composite A / V outputs are visible, moderately not connected this software. The software is optimized for a minimum resolution of 720p which is hardly possible using composite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Looks good...

Specs seem well capable of running xbmc, but would like to see more review videos before i made up my mind.

Its a promising candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Whats wrong with a Raspberry Pi ?

Mate has it hooked up to a projected and it does 7.1 to his onkyo and 1080p no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Whats wrong with a Raspberry Pi ?

Mate has it hooked up to a projected and it does 7.1 to his onkyo and 1080p no problem.

I was going to buy a Pi but then I saw this Black box device. I'm thinking with the cost of the Pi, keyboard, mouse, etc would I be better off getting black box which has an all in one solution.

Its still early days and I will wait until reviews are out on it.

Any advice ?

Edit: forgot to mention the Ouya. So its Ouya vs Pi vs Black box

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Luckycharms_74, I wouldn't recommend a PI for XBMC,

I've had two PI's which I've run XBMC on, the first died and the the second had sd card corruption issues.

Now they both ran xbmc and played all HD content perfectly fine (720 and 1080), however they were extremely slow to create library's and had to have fan art off to use the memu's. (its known to be sluggish on menu's, skins etc).

Finally gave up on PI this week and just got a Ouya, only have it a few hours and in comparison its a pleasure to use. Well worth the 110e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Cabaal wrote: »
    Luckycharms_74, I wouldn't recommend a PI for XBMC,

I've had two PI's which I've run XBMC on, the first died and the the second had sd card corruption issues.

Now they both ran xbmc and played all HD content perfectly fine (720 and 1080), however they were extremely slow to create library's and had to have fan art off to use the memu's. (its known to be sluggish on menu's, skins etc).

Finally gave up on PI this week and just got a Ouya, only have it a few hours and in comparison its a pleasure to use. Well worth the 110e

You recommend the OUYA over this little black box.
    Does it have wifi built in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

There is no comparison between this box and the Ouya in terms of performance. I just went from a Geniatech MyGica EnjoyTV 520 (more powerful than the LittleBlackBox) to an Ouya and the difference in performance is significant and quite noticeable. Here's a quick spec comparison:

LittleBlackBox
    Chipset Family: ARM Cortex A9
    Chipset Model: Amlogic 8726-M3
    Chipset GPU: Mali400
    RAM: 1GB

Geniatech MyGica 520
    Chipset Family:ARM Cortex A9
    Chipset Model: Amlogic 8726-M6 (dual core)
    GPU: Mali400MP2

Ouya
    nVidia Tegra 3
    CPU: ARM CortexA9, Quad Core @ 1.6GHz (or 1.7GHz in single-core mode)
    GPU: 520MHz ULP GeForce (8 pixel shader units)
    RAM: 1GB 1600MHz DDR3

The Tegra is the key. It just spanks anything Mali can put out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well worth the 110e

Where can this be ordered? I See it on Amazon.co.uk at about €120 but is it available anywhere here in Ireland?

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Where can this be ordered? I See it on Amazon.co.uk at about €120 but is it available anywhere here in Ireland?

Unless you get someone selling theirs on the only options are Amazon or Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

kyub wrote: »
    There is no comparison between this box and the Ouya in terms of performance. I just went from a Geniatech MyGica EnjoyTV 520 (more powerful than the LittleBlackBox) to an Ouya and the difference in performance is significant and quite noticeable. Here's a quick spec comparison:

LittleBlackBox
    Chipset Family: ARM Cortex A9
    Chipset Model: Amlogic 8726-M3
    Chipset GPU: Mali400

Geniatech MyGica 520
    Chipset Family:ARM Cortex A9
    Chipset Model: Amlogic 8726-M6 (dual core)
    GPU: Mali400MP2

Ouya
    nVidia Tegra 3
    CPU: ARM CortexA9, Quad Core @ 1.6GHz (or 1.7GHz in single-core mode)
    GPU: 520MHz ULP GeForce (8 pixel shader units)
    RAM: 1GB 1600MHz DDR3

The Tegra is the key. It just spanks anything Mali can put out. :)

your points here are valed but there is a few things to take into account.
    the single core box can run linux and xbmc runs the best on linux by miles.
    the dual core is on android and xbmc is very very buggy still on this platform .
    with the ouya yes the quadcore is great but to my knowledge xbmc on uses 2 core at any time so in most cases quadcore is wasted on a quadcore box and also i believe ouya is still very buggy as it is also on android.
    i have the first box running linux and i love it .way smoother and faster than apple tv2.my main htpc is custom built also running linux open-elec from a ssd and really you just cant beat it

Yeah, I've run XBMC on a HTPC (Windows & Linux versions), XBMC Androis on a Geniatech MyGica 520, a non-branded Gbox Midnight and now the Ouya. There is work being done to get linux running on the dual core boxes. I expect it will be around in the next couple of months.

To be honest, the Android version (libstagefright version) is working perfectly for me on the Ouya. I haven't experienced any crashes or issues and it plays everything perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi guys,

Quick questions: Can you run HD internet based streams on the Ouya either via a browser or via an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sashodev.LiveStreaming given it is Android based?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1 james g meaney

hi guys will TLBB work download speed 2.6mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Hi Guys,

I have heard (through pretty unreliable sources) that a wide list of free to air channels can be streamed on this device. Some even suggesting that its a viable alternative to a cable/satellite TV subscription. I would be very skeptical about such a claim but if anyone knows any more, please share what you know. Particularly with reference to the following:

Is this type of streaming legal?
    If there is the slightest hint of any legal issues, i would be pretty sure this device would become unusable for this purpose very quickly as soon as the big players (Sky/UPC) start loosing customers.

What is the streaming quality like?
    Would love to hear from anyone who already has a Little Black Box on this.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have heard (through pretty unreliable sources) that a wide list of free to air channels can be streamed on this device.
    Correct, it's just a question of determining what channels you want and then loading the correct add-on. Check out www.xbmchub.com for info on easily configuring XBMC with all the popular add-ons etc
    Some even suggesting that its a viable alternative to a cable/satellite TV subscription. I would be very skeptical about such a claim but if anyone knows any more, please share what you know.

I have XBMC with all the aforementioned add-ons etc PLUS I'm paying for UPC. Why? If I lived on my own I'd happily ditch UPC and rely 100% on XBMC and other content streaming options but using the menus and switching channels etc is a little fiddly compared to just hitting channel up/down on a traditional remote control and my wife/kids prefer the ease of use with UPC so for a quiet life I'm still paying for UPC :o

Having said that I just ordered a new Minix Neo X7 from Amazon.co.uk which I'm going to set up to be as easy to menu surf as possible and if that works I may well pull the plug on UPC and see how we get on!!!
    No, it's definitely not legal.
    What is the streaming quality like?
    Would love to hear from anyone who already has a Little Black Box on this
    I can't speak for the Little Black Box but XBMC on an Ouya or any other device I've tried it on (various Android phones and tablets + a Windows 8 PC) it's been spot on. If you are trying to watch one of the latest movies the quality can depend on the source of the movie but in general anything that's been out a while is spot on as is watching live sport etc contingent of course on having a good broadband connection. Fortunately I have a 100mb fibre connection from UPC :p

BTW, in my opinion this is the best option for a pure Android based XBMC media centre on the market at the moment. http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOX7.html It's £88 delivered FOC to Parcel Motel. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E2R0Z3Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ben

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HarcourtGreen viewpost.gif
    No, it's definitely not legal.

I know nothing of this but would like some information if available.
    If you have any references/links I would appreciate them, thanks.

I find it strange that it is illegal to receive over internet what is available free from satellite.

I can understand if it is illegal to make the streams available without permission ...... but illegal to watch those streams?

That is why I seek some further info. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its kind of a different topic. You should probably great a new seperate topic to discuss that.

http://mp3.about.com/od/digitalmusicfaq/f/Is-Streaming-Media-Illegal.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_aspects_of_downloading_and_streaming

As a general point on demand services are much superior experience to streaming.

beauf wrote: »
    Its kind of a different topic. You should probably great a new seperate topic to discuss that.

http://mp3.about.com/od/digitalmusicfaq/f/Is-Streaming-Media-Illegal.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_aspects_of_downloading_and_streaming

As a general point on demand services are much superior experience to streaming.

Yes .... my bad ...... needs to be separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Thanks for this info Ben - Very informative.

Thanks for this info Ben - Very informative.

You're welcome HG, this time last year I hadn't a clue about this stuff (still have a lot to learn) but I got a lot of help here so it's nice to give a little back.

Ben

Advertisement