Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to move students from books to electronic formats

• 09-07-2013 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Where does a school even start on this road?

I'm in a DEIS school but there is a general will to move away from books. However, there isn't the knowledge within the school of either the technical options or the finances of such a move.

1. What organisation would be the first port of call to talk to us? We need somebody to come out to us and talk to us. Is there such a state organisation?

2. How much would each ipad/laptop etc cost when it's being sold in bulk to students in our area?

3.What sort of state subsidy would be available?

4. Technically, how do you ensure the kids don't go off using websites they are not supposed to be using and avoid studying (I'm always asked this, but I don't know the answer)

I'd be particularly grateful if somebody in a Deis school could explain how they convinced parents to spend the money to move towards ipads etc. It's incredibly hard just to get a voluntary contribution out of them here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

hi Seanchai I will attempt to answer your questions one by one....

1. What organisation would be the first port of call to talk to us? We need somebody to come out to us and talk to us. Is there such a state organisation?

There is no state organisation concerned directly with this, though the NCTE may be of some help. There are private companies who offer services including deployment, insurance, ebooks etc on a cost per pupil basis. I can give you some names if you like if you want to PM me.

2. How much would each ipad/laptop etc cost when it's being sold in bulk to students in our area?

The price can vary a lot depending on what you are getting.. Insurance, a case, what software etc. in addition the number of eBook titles will affect the price.

3.What sort of state subsidy would be available?

None.

4. Technically, how do you ensure the kids don't go off using websites they are not supposed to be using and avoid studying (I'm always asked this, but I don't know the answer)

I would suggest that your school would need a good quality wireless network with separate student and teacher networks. Your firewall can then be used to block inappropriate content. There are software packages available that allow the teacher to view all student screens also which my help.

We were going to introduce them this Sept but pulled the plug on it back around February. Aiming for Sept 2014 now. I wouldn't be in a headlong rush to introduce it really until everything is in place. Get the staff on board first and maybe get them the devices first for a year. The following year get the kids going.

As you can see on another thread here MusicMental is making books for her (?) own classes - This is where the real potential for ICT use is at IMO. I have a big problem with publishers, maybe its just me.

From an educational point of view the textbook can be very limiting on both teacher and pupil and restricts creativity and spontaneity. How many subject plans have you seen where the the curriculum is divided by chapter? E.G. September - Christmas Chapters 1,2 & 3 - Not a mention of content, methodology, cross curricular links etc., etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also apple give very little discount so check out other tablets. Also books are not that cheap electronically and you cannot reuse i.e. once the 3 year cycle is up, that's it, you can't take the book and use it on another student's tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm not so sure the technology is there yet to facilitate a complete switch from paper to e-books.

Have you checked availability of books? I know Folens is doing a lot of work in this area, but are you sure the books that you want are available in e-book format.

Which brings me to the next question - why iPads? Why not Android tablets? What infrastructure will no need to facilitate the management of these devices (whichever you choose) - this is always a problem. We have about 20 iPads and 10 iPhones and it is becoming a nightmare to manage (granted, we are 3rd level, but it's still the same issue).

What about the end of each term when books change - who does that/how is it done?

What technical support will you have, when not if, something goes wrong during a class? What terms are the books under? I am finding (again, at third level) that there is no cost difference between physical books and e-books, which I find outrageous.

Content filtering is easy - that can be done at the network level, same as regular computers on the school network.

As teacherhead points out, if you rush into this without proper planning and thought, it can end up more hassle than it is worth and aside from wasting a lot of money, could end up putting people off the technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I teach in a DEIS school and I just don't see how it could be introduced in an affordable way, even leaving aside any other considerations.

Our students pay €35 per year book rental, except TY, payable in installments of as little as €5, and even then it is a struggle to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Do you have a school librarian? (some DEIS schools do) If so, they would be a great help to you on this, especially in terms of the technicalities and the marketing/transitioning from print to ebooks.

I think it is too early yet to think about transitioning completely - still a wait and see market imo - jumping in too fast and being stuck with expensive licenses from publishers and restrictive technology could be costly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

While I love technology and I think it's the way of the future I will echo some of what has been said.

1. You need a well set up and maintained wireless network

2. In relation to the iPad/other tablet debate, this came down for us on to the fact that there was a company there to walk us through inservice and support for the iPads and the parents were happy

3. Hopefully in time there will be more teachers who have the spare time/energy to create free books that will enable a move away from costly publishers. I'm in a VEC and my principal has agreed to bring some sort of collaboration idea to the VEC principals in September. The only way we will get out of the publishers hands is by putting time into it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Seanchai wrote: »
    I'd be particularly grateful if somebody in a Deis school could explain how they convinced parents to spend the money to move towards ipads etc. It's incredibly hard just to get a voluntary contribution out of them here.

I,d be happy enough to convince some of these parents to get their kids to start having breakfast in the morning and helping them do their homework at night.

Also a packed lunch maybe.............

Before I start convincing them to get IPads etc.

And in fairness as someone who works in a DEIS school, its hard to justify asking parents into giving a voluntary contribution for IPADs and such, when their kids are being sent in to school hungry, without a lunch and in crap shoes etc.

Also, are IPADS going to really help these kids access the curriculum in any real more engaging ways than the books used now?

I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Which brings me to the next question - why iPads? Why not Android tablets?
    Good question. A better question might be 'Why not Netbooks, that have a proper keyboard, so students can actually create some meaningful content'?

Another question might be 'Will the hardware and the software work for students with disabilities, including students with physical disabilities who might not have the fine motor control required to swipe their way round a touchscreen, and students with sight loss who need screen reading software and apps that are compatible with screen reading software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Schools need to be very careful about rushing into this.

One short term solution I would suggest is students being allowed a kindle or some other similar device. This could solve the age old problem of the overloaded school bag.

After that let the new JC bed in before moving on to tablets etc

Advertisement