Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.netvision.ie - Site Review

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

First thought, how small??

Are you developing the site on an 11" monitor, it's using about an eighth of the browser window on my Mac.

Second thought, the design looks a little on the dated side (from about when an 11" monitor might have been the norm).

Given that one of the main features of the product is its cloud credentials (modern, state of the art etc etc) the site doesn't reflect this well at all.

I've attached a screenshot (one third size) to show you what I mean about the size.

261814.png

It might be worth going on a google trawl for other cloud enabled products, check out their themes. Parse.com is as good a place as any to start.

Great start though and any web presence has to be a million times better than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sgealbhain

Wow - It does look small! No I'm using 1600 x 900 wide screen and looks fine on that.. thanks for the input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Needs a lot of work:
    • Could have much better SEO and avoid spamming meta keywords = at least a Bing penalty.
    • Should be able to buy from site.
    • Should have responsive layout.
    • Some text needs better contrast.
    • Should have a contact form.
    • Incomplete address.
    • Lots of scope for upping the effectiveness of copy Sales-wise, what are the benefits? (listed for cloud but not business/personal which are the same page)
    • The products info is missing, what are the features?
    • No 404.
    • Inconsistent layout, jumps between pages.
    • Are you licenced, considering the recent legislation?
    • Are you insured?
    • Layout is too small and makes text in graphics unclear.
    • Re-check your spelling, punctuation and grammar for mistakes.
    • There's some strange stuff going on with background colours/images, imagemaps, etc. under the bonnet. While that sort of works, some code monkeys like myself might be asking why do it that way when it would be better to do it more simply.

Work on your site, there's plenty of potential for you in this market.

gl/hth

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

I'd go with dated, too.

Blurry buttons, standard font (use a custom web font), no responsiveness (you'd expect to be mobile friendly, being so small, but no).

The splash (frontpage) image looks like an outdated mix of unrelated images (wrong perspective, no eye flow). Too many fonts (the logo, the splash image, the top buttons, the body content. Use no more than 2 fonts on a page, and be consistent.

Other suggestions:

1. Add pretty links (using .htaccess)
    2. Move the LinkedIn badge to the homepage

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Do you think I'm heading in a better direction now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's definitely a step in the right direction but there's almost no product information. Is it still a work in progress?

Screenshots, video, usage scenarios, installation instruction, extending your system. Online ordering, postage/shipping costs etc etc.

Your call to action "Go" isn't very meaningful or visible.

Use URL rewriting to get more meaningful URLs (Settings -> Permalinks if you're using WordPress). That could turn http://www.netvision.ie/?page_id=119 into http://www.netvision.ie/contact-us

Thanks Graham. Definitely still a WIP. Hard to get anything done as I'm balancing a full time job (actually moving into a new job soon) and studying also! This is a side project :)

All of those items you mentioned are in the pipeline! I'm trying to fix the permalinks issue with the hosting provider. I've changed them to /index.php/page/ for the moment as it's 'nicer'. Going forward I just want the /page/ name but that's generating a 404 at the moment.

Lots of interesting stuff going to be happening soon hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

For the footer I would make sure the social media logos are coloured. e.g Facebook should be blue

Advertisement