Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Salon IFSC

Options
  • 09-07-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

On Saturday I received the following text from The Salon in the IFSC

"It is with regret that due to unforeseen circumstances the salon must close short term. All effort will be made to accommodate voucher and course holders"

I am half way through a course of 8 session and want to know what are my rights and if anyone knows what the story is with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chloej

I got the same message, i have paid €300 worth of laser treatment and also bought a €79 living social deal. Have tried calling and emailing them but have had no response. Apparently if you paid by credit card your card holder may be able to issue you with a refund. It's an absolute disgrace I'm so annoyed!!! I was wondering why they seemed so shady about booking my next appointment they kept fobbing me off saying I can't make an appointment until next Oct the whole time knowing they would be closed down by then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It depends how much is left after the other creditors have been paid- most importantly the bank and the staff. Voucher holders etc. are unsecured creditors, which means you are at the bottom of the pile. I believe in the case of HMV, they sold gift cards right up until the end because had they stopped, the company would have collapsed immediately and they were trying to hang on as long as possible to get a buyer. This is probably the same sort of story with this company.

That is, if they have actually liquidated- I just noticed it says 'for a short time'. If they have, find out who the liquidator is, as they will be administering everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I wouldn't be surprised if they've managed to Groupon themselves out of business. They can't be making much of a profit given how many deals they run. The deals websites take a huge chunk of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fudgy

It's awful the way they can do that. Charge you for a course of treatments and then go out of business and keep your money. It will make me think next time I buy one of the deals.

I spoke with my credit card holder and they said if the company has gone into liquidation they may be able to issue me a refund. How do I find out if they have in fact gone into liquidation? I tried looking on http://www.cro.ie/
    under their trading name Myerscough but I couldn't see anything about them going into liquidation?? Anyone any ideas where I can go from here? Much appreciated!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kazzacon

I also spoke to my credit card provider regarding a refund of the funds which I have paid The Salon for laser hair removal. They stated that I must have prove that they have gone into liquidation before any refund can be considered.
    The name of the company was Myerscough Limited but in the last 6/12 months the company named was formally changed to Jajaph Limited.
    I have searched them on the CRO and there is a creditors meeting taking place on the 16th of July which implies that the company will be put into liquidation shortly after this.
    My one concern is proving to my Bank that Jajaph Limited are trading as The Salon as there is no connection between the two on the CRO.
    I found out that the company name is Jajaph Limited through going down to The Salon and looking at their mail which was lying on the floor inside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you can get company documents somehow, it will often say something like "Jajaph Ltd, trading as The Salon". That should prove things to the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Their address is on their CRO listing so that should be proof enough
    http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=486828&type=C

Details
    Type Company
    Number 486828
    Name JAJAPH LIMITED
    Address UNIT 1 CUSTOM HOUSE SQUARE
    MAYOR STREET LOWER
    I.F.S.C.
    DUBLIN 1
    Registered 19/07/2010
    Status Normal

Effective Date 19/07/2010
    Last AR Date 22/06/2012
    Next AR Date 30/06/2013
    Last Accounts to Date 30/09/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mtcoyle

Thank you all so much for this information. I have also been screwed over by The Salon, out of ~€900 and am so angry and upset. I was in only the day before they sent that text and they advised me to wait a number of weeks to have my laser cos it looked like i had a tan - when i had been in for patch test 2 days earlier! Luckily I paid with credit card so I'm hoping ill get some of it returned. Do you know how the credit card company would determine what to refund you if you have used some of your course of treatments? Thanks again for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ghirina79

Hi have a look at this facebook page to gather info and share your experience:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Salon-IFSC-Dublin-Angry-Consumers-Unit-1-Lower-Mayor-St-Dublin/475155795835450?fref=ts

hope this helpsa, I'm in your same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 EC89

In the same situation as all you too.. I paid €300 by visa debit.. Anyone know if there's any hope I will get a refund? I will have to contact my bank tomorrow. This is all very frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'm surprised they kept going as long as they did. Their laser hair removal machines was ****e. I am an ideal candidate for laser (pale skin dark hair) and 6 sessions did close to nothing. Am going somewhere else now and they are great, they say The Salon probably didn't have well trained staff.

EC89 wrote: »
    In the same situation as all you too.. I paid €300 by visa debit.. Anyone know if there's any hope I will get a refund? I will have to contact my bank tomorrow. This is all very frustrating!

Sorry about delay EC89, did you have any success with bank? I think visa debit offers a lot less security than credit card but you may be in luck. I've been put on hold a lot but no result as of yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Olga86

Does anybody know what is the name of the liquidators? Everybody will need it for VISA chargebacks.

Olga86 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what is the name of the liquidators? Everybody will need it for VISA chargebacks.

No I don't, you would think the credit card companies would be able to source that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Olga86

Hmm I was asked today by VISA to provide a copy of correspondence that I attempted to claim money back from liquidator.
    I need to send them a claim for money and if I don't get a response, I have to send a copy to VISA to claim chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

I see a liquidator has been appointed.....how do you find out their name?

http://www.businessbarometer.ie/Risk-Management/Jajaph-Limited-486828

Eph

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CBranno

I'm in the same situation - so annoyed and frustrated. Probably have no hope of getting any money back but it's worth trying!

The Liquidator is:
    Ian McKeown
    McKeown & Associates
    Priorstown House
    Blackhall Wood
    Termonfeckin
    Co Louth
    041 9822102

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thefairyprince

Rang bank (have Mastercard) to see what I needed to do to get refund of my €180 (on top of €79 voucher purchased through Deal website have contacted them separately for a refund). Bank advised write letter to request refund & include copy of liquidation notice or any information I could find on the IFSC Salon. I asked what were the chances of a refund even a partial one - she laughed (in the nicest way possible) 'Slim' apparently.
    Has anyone had any progress in getting refunds (via Banks/Deal websites etc.) since they sent their text & closed their doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scasw

hi, has anyone any luck getting their money back, I am so frustrated, my bank said I paid with a laser card just before they were all replaced with visa debit and so i'm not entitled to have it refunded with the bank so now i have to chase the liquidater, I've rang 3 times now and each time someone is to get back to me and no call yet, i'm down 400e, its disgraceful,, also can i ask if anyone had the hair removal laser treatment and how it was for them, it was very painful for me and i had 3 sessions and didn't see even minor results when i was told i would,, a friend has started sessions in a different salon and its not painful for her at all and she's saw results after 2 sessions.. :mad:

• Advertisement

hi
    have you got to speak with anyone in the liquidators, i keep getting told someone will call me back and i've heard nothing yet,

CBranno wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation - so annoyed and frustrated. Probably have no hope of getting any money back but it's worth trying!

The Liquidator is:
    Ian McKeown
    McKeown & Associates
    Priorstown House
    Blackhall Wood
    Termonfeckin
    Co Louth
    041 9822102

i don't think it should matter how much treatment we've had as if a course of 8 is required to be successful how will it matter if we 've had 2 or 5 etc, it won't be successful so it was a waste of our time having it done, i will definitely never again buy a course of anything in advance, to be out of pocket with no results is so annoying and unfair,

mtcoyle wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for this information. I have also been screwed over by The Salon, out of ~€900 and am so angry and upset. I was in only the day before they sent that text and they advised me to wait a number of weeks to have my laser cos it looked like i had a tan - when i had been in for patch test 2 days earlier! Luckily I paid with credit card so I'm hoping ill get some of it returned. Do you know how the credit card company would determine what to refund you if you have used some of your course of treatments? Thanks again for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CBranno

scasw wrote: »
    hi
    have you got to speak with anyone in the liquidators, i keep getting told someone will call me back and i've heard nothing yet,
    Hi,
    No I haven't managed to make contact with the liquidator. Same story as you - he will ring you back!!!

I think I may have managed to have some luck with the bank though. If you have paid by credit card send their chargeback unit in as much information as possible. I sent in my detailed receipt which stated what I bought i.e. laser full leg, a copy of my credit card receipt, a copy of The Salon Laser Price Brochure and also downloaded the appointment of liquidator notice and the special resolution notice of voluntary liquidation from the Companies Registration Office website (cost me €5.00). I spoke to someone in the chargeback unit, who seemed to think I had enough info for them to process a chargeback (fingers crossed). Bear in mind that they did tell me that there is a 120 day time limit from the date of the transaction for chargeback. So I'm waiting ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Magenta wrote: »
    I'm surprised they kept going as long as they did. Their laser hair removal machines was ****e. I am an ideal candidate for laser (pale skin dark hair) and 6 sessions did close to nothing. Am going somewhere else now and they are great, they say The Salon probably didn't have well trained staff.

"Probably?"
    Haha - having worked there, they had the receptionist doing treatments. I know I worked there with no laser cert (or training) for the first four months.
    The same lady owned "free spirit" and she owns the building on mayor st, so the next salon that sets up there will be her too, and the staff will be told to tell clients it's a different owner, and not to associate the new business with the old, if previous experience is anything to go by. The lady in question is a multi millionaire, so those salons will without a doubt keep popping up.

The machines the salon used are actually good machines the problem was the staff are on such high and unrealistic targets that you're wasting time doing laser treatments for people who have already been convinced to spend more, and those patch tests were given to the experienced sellers, to get as much money out of the client, but would rarely do any full body laser treatments as they were missing out on selling to newer clients. Is why you never got the same girl to do your treatment as the one that sold it to you. Disgraceful that it was allowed get this far tbh.

They had a page on ratemyarea that they had to have removed as the reviews were so awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Folks has anyone tried taking them to the Small Claims Court? My partner is owed €400 from The Salon. I sent in a Small Claims Application in today. The said it'll take 4/5 weeks before i hear anything. I'll leave a post up here if i get anywhere with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexandropolis

Hey everyone...
    I didn't even know that they are closed. I had my session on 5.07.13 (Friday) and I made an next appointment for 16.08.
    I send them an email (after nobody picked up the phone) the next day to say that I was burned very bad - no answer again. Unfortunately I couldn't go there to show them the scars and to see that it is actually not working.
    Today I went there for my session and it is closed... I didn't receive any emails or texts....

I paid by Visa Debit 800 + 79 voucher...

I am soooo so angry right now... Do you have any luck with the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mainsighty

I paid 350 euro in cash extra, and I don't know what to do in this case. About the money spent on voucher, Living Social paid proportionally to the number of sessions that left me to take. Does some have any idea to help me? I paid 250e for four session for facial treatment to have my skin back to normal after they guarantee that my lost of pigmentation could be treated. I went to other clinics after the bed news about the salon and I discovered that my problem don't have treatment. So they lied to me, just to take more money. I am double angry about it!!! Mayra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Don't waste time on small claims court or hope for anything from a liquidator.

Here's your options

If you paid by cash or laser card or mastercard DEBIT card - money is lost. End of story.

If you purchased a voucher from a deal site and the voucher was still valid at the time of closure, the deal site has to refund you as you purchased the voucher from them and were charged by them, not the salon. Therfore, the sales contract for the voucher is with the voucher site.

If you purchase a set of treatments or a gift voucher with a Visa Credit card, mastercard credit card or visa debit card, you have insurance. - A tiny percentage of all creditcard and visa debit card transactions paid by the retailer goes to an insurance fund. There are some rules about timing, but most should be fine.

You simply initiate a chargeback and enclose the details of the liquidation and the liquidator - it may take a few weeks, but most will get their refund.

If you delay, it can affect your claim.

Hope this helps.

Just giving everyone an update - made a claim with the small courts and was told by the liquidator that the company has not got the funds to issue back the money I am owed (€79 Living Social + €300) I got issued a full refund from Living Social however it took a few weeks for them to get back to me, I think they got a bit of a scare when I mentioned that the Small Courts would be involved! I have now made a claim through the charge back in the credit card centre, I was told to submit all the documentation that the small courts sent me, so hopefully if all goes well I will be issued a refund. These people are scum and should be prosecuted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mainsighty

I paid in cash but I have the receipts. So, if we all together open a claim with the small court, we might have more power to get our money back. Does someone know if is it possible to do it?

Advertisement