Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call me crazy...

• 09-07-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

As the title says, call me crazy, insane, obsessive, WHATEVER!! But is there sun cream for dogs? (If I were reading this id call me insane too...)

I have an American Pitbull, and her skin is insanely sensitive. With this good weather its too cruel to leave her locked in, and yesterday she got burnt!! blistered and all :O shes only a year old so sitting in the shade isnt an option for heras she is super curious. iv been keeping her out of the sun during peak hot times but she burns so easily it only takes 10 minutes!!!!

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

ask a vet, he might have some.
    I suppose you can rub some 'human' suncream on her ear tips as that's where she will burn easiest and not lick it off.
    make sure she has plenty of water and shade and try to keep her in the shade (good luck with that)

But yes, you crazy, doggie sunscreen is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Far as I know you can use kids sun cream on them. She's absolutely gorgeous OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya use a sensitive suncream on her, kids version probably best.

She is stunning OP, lovely colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I use childrens suncream on my cat... try using a little bit ..give it a few hours to see how her skin reacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Such a gorgeous fur angel. :) If I call you crazy, then I don't know what I could call myself. I spent an hour this morning following my eldest girl (JRx) around the garden, holding an umbrella, to shade her. Unlike her baby brother, she refuses to sit in the shade.
    Don't you love being a fur Mommy/Daddy. :D

• Advertisement

did a quick google and baby formulated sunscreen seems to be the consensus. On the bridge of it's nose, tummy, groin and ear tips. make sure it's non toxic etc and try to stop the dog from licking it.

Other recommendations are to put it in some light clothes. like old t-shirts etc. (dogs sweat through the tongue so clothes wont affect it) maybe a doggy hat ;-)

Not sure about how Id feel if I saw a pitbull in a summer dress and bonnet running at me during a heat wave tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

its fine to put sun screen on dogs, in fact its recommended. ust check the ingredients - some are more suitable than others. zinc oxide can give dogs gastro problems so be careful. also make sure the sunscreen you use doesnt contain PABA as its toxic to dogs.

I put a childs t shirt on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

did a quick google and baby formulated sunscreen seems to be the consensus. On the bridge of it's nose, tummy, groin and ear tips. make sure it's non toxic etc and try to stop the dog from licking it.

Other recommendations are to put it in some light clothes. like old t-shirts etc. (dogs sweat through the tongue so clothes wont affect it) maybe a doggy hat ;-)

Not sure about how Id feel if I saw a pitbull in a summer dress and bonnet running at me during a heat wave tho.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We use kids factor 50 and it does the treat. We wait until it dries in though before letting him loose otherwise he would lick it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Bought some factor 50 kids lotion and lathered up :)
    Day at the pier went down a treat!

Thanks again Boardsies!

Fend + Mika the American Pitbull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I would not say crazy I would say smart for asking a valid question that is in your dogs best interest in this unusually hot weather.
    It is mostly pets with white heads/ears that get it worst I think.
    Cats can get skin cancer on the ears.

It might be a good idea for a mod to make a thread about sunburn/water/hot tar on roads..... keep it on the first page for a few days.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My puppy is pure white except for a bit of colour on his ears. He has pink rimmed eyes and lots of pink around his nose. I tried putting sun cream( children's) on his nose and he licked it all off and spent the next good while drooling :(
    I just keep him out of the sun now as best i can and TBH he's not keen on it anyway so I'm lucky.

fend wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

Bought some factor 50 kids lotion and lathered up :)
    Day at the pier went down a treat!

Thanks again Boardsies!

Fend + Mika the American Pitbull

I notice there is no sun dress or sun hat on that dog. You're clearly not listening to sound proven advice ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Sure you can use sunscreen!

however

It's much better to keep dogs out of the sun. My dog will die (soon, unfortunately) because skin cancer developed inside his nose. He had surgery once but a year+ later the tumour has returned and this time it will take him. Our vet said that the most likely cause of this is sun exposure. Just something to keep in mind - some spots cannot be protected with sunscreen and skin cancer is so vicious once it develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I can imagine the tabloid headlines: "Evil Vicious Pitbulls Now Dressing Like Humans During Heat Wave In Order To Combat Quite Logical And Sane Restrictions Against Them So They Can MAUL Your Kids While Stealing Your Ice-Cream!"

She is such a gorgeous dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

You're not crazy or obsessive, it's exactly what I do with my cat which is almost completely white and you wouldn't believe it she loves basking in the sun for hours.
    Here is Italy the sun can be very harsh and in fact my cat developed a desquamation of the tops of her ears. As soon as we realized of that we started putting sun cream on all her ears, inside and outside.
    I use a baby sun cream with a PF 60+. And because it's a baby cream I guess it's not toxic at all.
    Lately I started putting this cream on her nose as well because it seems she's losing some hair on it.

LucyBliss wrote: »
    I can imagine the tabloid headlines: "Evil Vicious Pitbulls Now Dressing Like Humans During Heat Wave In Order To Combat Quite Logical And Sane Restrictions Against Them So They Can MAUL Your Kids While Stealing Your Ice-Cream!"

She is such a gorgeous dog!

What paper do you read with a headline like that?!

More like
    Sun Make Ugly Lady Go Mental

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What paper do you read with a headline like that?!

More like
    Sun Make Ugly Lady Go MentalBarking Mad
    Fixed that for you :P

Nody wrote: »
    Fixed that for you :P

genius

• Advertisement
Advertisement