Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for death certificate and possible location of burial

• 09-07-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am trying to find a death record for Patrick Flanagan, listed here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Crossmolina__South/Gortaneden/701944/ as being 72 and head of the household.

I have tried all the usual sources i look up:

rootsireland.ie
    ancestry.com
    mayoancestors.ie
    familysearch.org

but i cannot appear to find any record that fits the bill.

I have also looked at goldenlangen.com for a headstone that may match his but to no avail.

Any expert here able to give me any pointers as to how to find this record or why it does not exist?

I know for sure this is his baptism record.

ifhf_logo_small1.gifChurch Baptism Record

Name:Patrick FlanaganDate of Birth:
    Date of Baptism:11-Jul-1841 Address:MoathParish/District:CROSSMOLINA Gender: MaleCountyCo. Mayo

Denomination:Roman Catholic
    Father:Martin FlanaganMother:Mary Gildea Occupation:

Sponsor 1 /
    Informant 1:Thomas RoachSponsor 2 /
    Informant 2:Mary Walsh

www.rootsireland.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What about this guy ?

Name: Patrick Flanagan
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1916
    Death Age: 75
    Registration District: Ballina
    Death Country: Ireland
    Volume: 4
    Page: 9
    FHL Film Number: 0101606

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Good chance that is him.

Using:

Volume: 4
    Page: 9
    FHL Film Number: 0101606

What do i need to do to see exactly what that record contains. Or how would i go about ordering it?

Also what website did you find that on?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The references the GRO need with an order are the name, Year/Quarter of the death, the Registration District, volume and page.

The other numbers on the BMD Index on the FamilySearch website are their own references and not relevant to the GRO.

Download the form from http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
    and ignore any irrelevant section, and make sure to include the references above and ask for a research cert - these cost €4

A death cert will include name, reported age in years, occupation, status (married/widower etc), date, place and cause of death and the name & address of the informant.

BMD Index is here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

KMFCross wrote: »
    Also what website did you find that on?

Thanks

I used Ancestry as I have an account with them and I find their search features easy to use but here is the same search from familysearch.org

Patrick Flanagan
    born from 1840-1844
    died 1911-1932

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3APatrick%20%2Bsurname%3AFlanagan%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1840-1842%7E%20%2Bdeath_year%3A1911-1932%7E&collection_id=1408347&death_place0=8

These give you 15 results. I checked the census you linked to and saw that he was living in Crossmolina. The closest town where a death would be registered is Ballina and so scanned the 15 results for the one that looked the most likely to be him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Folks,

One more question. What is the best way (if any) to find out where Patrick is buried?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If that is your man, and he died in Crossmolina I'd suggest contacting the parish. It appears Rootsireland and the NLI have no burial records, but there is a chance there is something locally. Unfortunately a lot of parishes never kept burial registers in that era. Obviously if he died elsewhere in the district, look there.

(http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Mayo&parish=Crossmolina&churchid=745 is what I'm going from for the RI/NLI stuff)

Advertisement