Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel

Options
  • 09-07-2013 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I got an ovesized order through PM last week which I collected assuming it would be 3.50.
    I then found my card debited for 14 euro.

When I enquired I was told that thouugh the parcel was only 22 kg they charge based on the dimensions which puts it at 60.5 kg.

The dimesnional weight calculation is hidden below the fold on the webpage.
    While they do state the dimensional weight its so far down out of nornal view that a person sees the charges for something under 35kg and assumes thats the cost.

Though they might be covered in calculating this way, all it leave me with is a sour taste and an additional €10.50 down:(
    Dimensional weight example calculation

Length x Width x Height in cm / 3000 = Dimensional Weight
    For example, if you collect an oversized parcel weighing 20kgs from the Nightline Finglas depot, you will not have to pay anything other than the original Parcel Motel charge of €3.50.
    If you collect an oversized parcel weighing 36kgs you will be charged €7.00.
    If you ask us to deliver a parcel weighing 20kgs to your house, we will charge you €14.00.
    If you ask us to deliver a parcel weighing 36kgs, we will charge you €21.00.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So what's the issue? It's down to you to read the T's & C's properly BEFORE using the service. Did you honestly expect to pay only E3.50 for a large parcel??

If you'd had the parcel delivered direct, I'm sure it would cost a LOT more than E14!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's no fold on a web page. All depends on device used when it comes to need to scroll down. I can't see what your issue is. Read the T&C on any arrangement like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Almost any courier company will use dimensional weight calculations.

You didn't really think you could have a huge duck down duvet delivered for the same price as a good sized novel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've no issue with it in general. spent 20 years in transport but above the fold( am in web development now)) it says 3.50 under 35kg and you think grand. only reading down is the mention of dimensional weight.

it should be referred to were the costs are. not everyone reads below the fold and all important information should be clearly visible to the reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What fold? If I look at any page on a tablet I see less than on a laptop, more than on the phone. More in portrait than landscape. And of course more of less depending on font settings.

Anyway, plain and simple, there is nothing unusual in dimensional costing. If you were in transport then you should have been particularly aware of this. There is no consumer issue here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It looks like their T&Cs do have them covered. However, I would still register feedback with them about this. They might improve the website information to make this clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dudara wrote: »
    It looks like their T&Cs do have them covered. However, I would still register feedback with them about this. They might improve the website information to make this clearer.

agreed as I said in post 1. t&c cover them but the issue is design of the page to have a cost as you look at the screen and then the details about dimensional weight below the viewable screen. its poor web design and in my estimation sharp practice.
    their customer service refused to answer the point about the page fold but then they're not web developers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

agreed as I said in post 1. t&c cover them but the issue is design of the page to have a cost as you look at the screen and then the details about dimensional weight below the viewable screen. its poor web design and in my estimation sharp practice.
    their customer service refused to answer the point about the page fold but then they're not web developers:)

http://www.thereisnopagefold.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Even if there was a fold, just because something is below it doesn't mean it's not important. As others have said the information is on the page you need to scroll down to see it.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Return your monitor to where it was purchased, there is something funky with it if it's got a fold in it. Remember you contract is with the seller not the manufacturer. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is the second time in the last while that someone has missed this:

http://postimg.org/image/ubps92fjr/

boards.jpg?noCache=1373411903

I have to say I didnt know this either, it was only when I saw others discussing this that I realised there was another way of setting pricing.

When I send something by courier I enter the dimensions and weight and I am given a quote, end of.

though I did think it was very cheap up to 30kg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Interesting ads... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The dimesnional weight calculation is hidden below the fold on the webpage.
    While they do state the dimensional weight its so far down out of nornal view that a person sees the charges for something under 35kg and assumes thats the cost.

It's not as if you're forced to read 14 pages of T&Cs to find out. There's a How much does it cost? page that has 4 distinct sections (the 2nd section starts "above the fold"), 2 of which deal with dimensional weight which is standard in shipping/courier companies).

So if you refuse to read more than half the page (whether or not it's below the fold), on a page that's laid out to easily explain the cost (without T&C lingo), then it's not just them at fault.

This is a lot different to someone not reading through thousands of words, in legal speak, of T&Cs.

However, if you feel strongly about it, do as dudara suggests above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

I just only realised there was a scroll bar on boards,
    I found it strange that there were only ever 2 posts in every thread.
    now I know how to scroll I can see the light.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - if you can't stay helpful and on topic, then please don't post

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

All oversize deliveries to the depot are now a min of 7 euro, oddly.

Advertisement