Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gelert Solo Tent tips?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

Bought one of these recently, havnt unbagged it yet but from some of the review I,ve read there could be some issues with the rods breaking, some people seemed to have added Duct tape to strengthen them but wasnt able to make out where they were doing this? where is the most stress on a rod? the top of the roof or where it is close to the ground? is it possible to buy some generic replacements?

anyone had one of these? is it very fragile or like anything just go easy with it.

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/gelert-solo-tent-green.html

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Carbon fibre poles tend to break in the pole segment at the apex of the curve. I suppose you could preventatively reinforce that area with tape if you want.

You can temporarily repair a broken pole by taping it tightly (with the pole straight) which will get you through a camping trip. Most camping shops will have replacement pole segments and shock cord so you can repair you poles (indeed some shops will offer a pole repair service!).

If you find one pole is consistently breaking, try shortening it by half an inch or so, it'll relieve the stress on it and should prevent repeat breakages (not to mention repairs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks, I seem to have bought a tent that has generated a lot of reviews online and people either love it or hate it. Some people seem to have gone to the bother of switching them out for aluminium ones to avoiding breaking in the winter, apparently carbon fibre ones aren't as strong in cold weather which I wasn't aware of

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement