Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100mb: Will I get full speeds wirelessly with 802.11ac?

• 09-07-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭

I've had the UPC 100mb service for a while now. My connection wirelessly (802.11n) tops out at 60-70mb/s. My modem/router is in another part of the house so I can't hook ethernet up to it. In an attempt to get the full speeds I'm paying for, I bought two homeplug adapters which use ethernet over the power sockets. Even with this I'm only getting 70-80 mb/s if I'm lucky.

Connecting my laptop up to the router with ethernet nets me a speed of over 120mb/s, so I know this is possible.

My question is: If I bought an 802.11ac wireless router and got a 802.11ac adapter for my PC, will this get me the full speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Elessar wrote: »
    I've had the UPC 100mb service for a while now. My connection wirelessly (802.11n) tops out at 60-70mb/s. My modem/router is in another part of the house so I can't hook ethernet up to it. In an attempt to get the full speeds I'm paying for, I bought two homeplug adapters which use ethernet over the power sockets. Even with this I'm only getting 70-80 mb/s if I'm lucky.

Connecting my laptop up to the router with ethernet nets me a speed of over 120mb/s, so I know this is possible.

My question is: If I bought an 802.11ac wireless router and got a 802.11ac adapter for my PC, will this get me the full speeds?

The answer to this is sadly a resounding "possibly"!

the reason I say this is that wireless technology of any type depends on many factors - such as

1) How far away are you from the router?
    2) Is it an old house with thick brick/concrete walls?
    3) How many other wifi networks are in the area using the same limited wifi resource?

All of these things can impact wireless performance.

If none of the factors are an issue then you should easily get full speeds :)

I'm surprised homeplugs dont work - you may have the older standard 1 ones, the newer ones support 200Mbps/300Mbps - Vodafone and eircom sell these. Again though - distance between sockets and cable quality can impact performance

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm not too far, its from the back bedroom to the front one, there is maybe a wall and a door (no concrete) between them. No one else uses my Wifi either. I am seriously considering upgrading, maybe getting Apple's new 802.11ac Airport express base station and running my UPC router to it.

The homeplugs I got were, I think, rated at 150mbps, I thought that would be enough but obviously not (€80 down the drain!). They emit a loud electric whine noise though and I'd rather be rid of them.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement