Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term Lease Lapsed, Now a Part 4. Notice Period?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I had a fixed term lease that ran out a couple of months ago. I agreed we'd go monthly with the landlord so I assume I'm a Part 4 now. I have been in the property 3 years.

Does Part 4 run concurrently with Fixed term, i.e. if he wants to me to vacate due to selling the property is my Part 4 from the very start of my being in the property or just from the expiration of the fixed term lease?

Trying to figure how much notice he should give me. (See table below)

Notice Period Duration of Tenancy
    28 days Less than 6 months
    35 days >6 months and <1 year
    42 days >1 year and <2 years
    56 days >2 years and <3 years
    84 days >3 years and <4 years
    112 days >4 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Does Part 4 run concurrently with Fixed term

Basically, yes :) So after three years you'll be 84 days notice, unless you come to another agreement with the landlord which is entirely possible. Given that you're "going monthly" he mightn't have any idea of the Part 4 rules so may be amenable to much less notice than what Part 4 suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Thanks Chris,
    Do Part 4s run in 4 years cycles? So if I was in my 5th year I'd revert to year #1?

Or is it just over 4 years is 112 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

After 4 years a new part 4 tenancy starts. It is my understanding that for the first 6 months of each cycle the terms of termination do not apply (ie the landlord can terminate the tenancy for any reason in those 6 months) but that the 112 days notice will always apply after 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I read somewhere on here that to avail of a part 4 tenancy you must inform your landlord of your intention to do so (at some point, maybe 6 months into your lease? Can't remember).

So what is the status of what would be a part 4 tenancy (eg three years in) if the tenant didn't inform the landlord as to his intention?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you dont inform your landlord of your intention to remain on a part 4 (within 3 months of the lease ending I think) then you can be held liable for any costs that the landlord has incurred (readvertising etc). It does not affect your right to remain on a part 4; these rights are gained automatically after 6 months and cannot be revoked under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

djimi wrote: »
    If you dont inform your landlord of your intention to remain on a part 4 (within 3 months of the lease ending I think) then you can be held liable for any costs that the landlord has incurred (readvertising etc). It does not affect your right to remain on a part 4; these rights are gained automatically after 6 months and cannot be revoked under any circumstances.

Ah, right!

Advertisement