Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock or go up?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,
    New to this forum but looking for some advice. We're seriously looking at a new project. We have found a property (bungalow) but would need to significantly increase the size of it to make it workable for our needs.

I'm talking adding approx. 1000 square feet. The question is would it be cheaper in the long run to completely knock the place and build from the ground up or to take the roof off, go up a floor and re-roof with obvious remodelling of the existing ground floor.

House is structurally sound and there should be no real problems going up a level given where the property is located.

Just looking for some opinions as I've never done this before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Posh Boy wrote: »
    Hi,
    New to this forum but looking for some advice. We're seriously looking at a new project. We have found a property (bungalow) but would need to significantly increase the size of it to make it workable for our needs.

I'm talking adding approx. 1000 square feet. The question is would it be cheaper in the long run to completely knock the place and build from the ground up or to take the roof off, go up a floor and re-roof with obvious remodelling of the existing ground floor.

House is structurally sound and there should be no real problems going up a level given where the property is located.

Just looking for some opinions as I've never done this before.

I had much the same proposition as you have. We actually took the roof off and built up as the house was structurally sound(1.5 storey) We did take some walls down in order to realign the windows. There was alot of donkey work and there were times where i was going wtf didn't we just knock it and start from a fresh slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 floorplan_ie

You are going to need to get it coated, I'm afraid. It depends on the level of work that needs to be done to the existing house.

How old is the bungalow? Does it needs more floor it wall insulation? Electrics or heating? How many walls will you move? Are you to keep existing doors/ skirting/ architraves/ floor finishes etc - or do they change to match? Doors the toilet or kitchen needs to move?

If the two prices start to get similar, it is probably better to knock and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Posh Boy

Was thinking of getting an architect involved assuming the sale goes through. The property was build in the 70's I think but is very sound, good insulation and damp proofing all round, not a single crack to be seen. It's a shame to have to knock the walls but the layout is all wrong for what we want.

Will probably be moving some of the plumbing but the kitchen will stay where it is currently.

Audioslaven, interesting to hear you did something similar, looking back are you happy with the way you did it? Roughly what was your budget and what did you get for that? Did you go direct labour?

Was thinking of getting an architect involved assuming the sale goes through. The property was build in the 70's I think but is very sound, good insulation and damp proofing all round, not a single crack to be seen. It's a shame to have to knock the walls but the layout is all wrong for what we want.

Will probably be moving some of the plumbing but the kitchen will stay where it is currently.

Audioslaven, interesting to hear you did something similar, looking back are you happy with the way you did it? Roughly what was your budget and what did you get for that? Did you go direct labour?

Yes we went direct labour and happy now its over. I had some dark nights wondering were we doing the correct thing. We had an architect so he was really the deciding factor on what way to go. He basically said the structure was fine and to build on top of this. I had a budget of around 180K. We basically gutted the house and built new walls. Some internal walls were realigned and the front walls of the house were knocked to realign new windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 floorplan_ie

If the house was built in the 1970s, it is unlikely to have floor or wall insulation.

• Advertisement

I checked it out and it has 2 block layers, the cavity has been pumped and theres additional dry line insulation on batons inside that, there's also a good DPC membrane in place. I was surprised by that. Whoever built it first day was thinking ahead.

The house is dry as a bone inside so it'd be a shame to knock it but we will wait and see what the architect comes up with.

I'd be hoping to go ahead with an initial budget of about 150K, lets see how that works out.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

DPC or DPM? Is the floor insulated? I would speak to an architect though. Nobody here can advise without knowing the place. That aside, if the house is as solid as described, it seems very wasteful to knock it. The only caution is that you have no idea what actually lurks beneath the surface til you start work. Have you considered just buying a house that fits your needs? Not trying to be smart but it amazes me why people buy houses that don't fit their needs, spend a fortune in time effort and money, and by the end could have bought a house that already met their needs for the same overall cost.
    I checked it out and it has 2 block layers, the cavity has been pumped and theres additional dry line insulation on batons inside that, there's also a good DPC membrane in place. I was surprised by that. Whoever built it first day was thinking ahead.

The house is dry as a bone inside so it'd be a shame to knock it but we will wait and see what the architect comes up with.

I'd be hoping to go ahead with an initial budget of about 150K, lets see how that works out.......

We actually dug up the floors, put in a radon sump and laid a radon sheet. I was a little paronoid about radon gas as my area was hightlighted as high. We used a tar based sticking sheets to tie it to the wall. We then laid insulation of top of this. This also acted as a DPC. Now we couldn't put in savage insulation 2" was the minimum we could put in, other parts got 8". It was some job but if the house is not big, you would be surprise how fast you can get it done. I think 150K is not bad and very doable for that (direct labour) based on what you say about the house. You can save a **** load if you are willing to do the donkey work yourself. I had included a garage at my budget which was over 10K. We basically got everything redone... kitchen, electrics, plumbing, doors windows etc ...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the advice and good to hear it can be done.

We have been looking at pretty much every house on the market within our target area over the last 4 years so this is the only one at the moment we are interested in. We've been out bid a number of times on other properties. To be honest, I'm not scared of the project, I can see so much potential in the property.

As for the donkey work. I'd love to get my hands dirty but the day job will get in the way, plus the kids (they're very young). Maybe at the weekends I could do my bit.

Anyway, fingers crossed it will have a happy ending for us.

Thanks for the advice and good to hear it can be done.

We have been looking at pretty much every house on the market within our target area over the last 4 years so this is the only one at the moment we are interested in. We've been out bid a number of times on other properties. To be honest, I'm not scared of the project, I can see so much potential in the property.

As for the donkey work. I'd love to get my hands dirty but the day job will get in the way, plus the kids (they're very young). Maybe at the weekends I could do my bit.

Anyway, fingers crossed it will have a happy ending for us.

No thats sound. I would say I saved a bit by doing the donkey work so if you have to get guys in then you are looking at €€. It took us just over a year. My brother in law was a chippy so I had him employed full time on it, so the work that required two was done at the weekends or on holidays. I was every saturday and sunday for the full year so forget about beering sessions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement