Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transparency on reported posts

Options
  • 09-07-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure most people's reaction to the title will be "Oh, God NOO!!" - but hear me out.

I cannot keep track of reported posts unless I happen to remember or post in the forum that a post has been reported. Which means sometimes I end up PMing the mods to see if action has been taken. I'm often told - yeah, we looked at that but decided not to act - as there is no tracking of reported posts the only way I see what happens to reported posts is if action is taken.

Is there any way that something could be put in place that the person reporting could actually see that a mod has looked at the issue and closed the ticket of the reported post? Even if it is just a PM to the reporter stating no action taken.

Thanks for listening.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I think a little yellow card beside any post that has been given an infraction (red for where the user has been banned for that post) would solve many of the problems people have with this.

It would be far more transparent and take the heat out of situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

ToadVine wrote: »
    I think a little yellow card beside any post that has been given an infraction (red for where the user has been banned for that post) would solve many of the problems people have with this.

It would be far more transparent and take the heat out of situations like this.

That is the system currently (did I miss some sarcasm?) - my point is that there is no way for the reporter to know if the mod decided that no action was needed other than PMing the mods. Nor does the reporter know which mod is handling it.

Not sarcasm ... is there really a yellow and red flag put beside infracted/banned posts?

How did I miss that???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yellow card for "Warnings", red card for "Infractions". Sometimes an in-thread noted for a ban, but not always.

Yellow card for "Warnings", red card for "Infractions". Sometimes an in-thread noted for a ban, but not always.

So am I correct in thinking that the post I linked to above was not infracted ? Since there is no flag beside it ?

• Advertisement

So am I correct in thinking that the post I linked to above was not infracted ? Since there is no flag beside it ?

Yep.

Did you report it? If so, you can see my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

MadsL wrote: »
    That is the system currently (did I miss some sarcasm?) - my point is that there is no way for the reporter to know if the mod decided that no action was needed other than PMing the mods. Nor does the reporter know which mod is handling it.

So after you report a post you PM mods to ensure that action was taken? And if action is not taken or mod decides nothing to see here move along?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This has come up a lot here, its a matter of time being wasted, as a Mod responding to someone reporting a post stating no further action to be taken, could end up in PM conversation with them.

The only transparency I think is required, is when someone is infracted/banned and feels the need to question it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Correcto.

bumper234 wrote: »
    So after you report a post you PM mods to ensure that action was taken? And if action is not taken or mod decides nothing to see here move along?:confused:

There have been times when I have reported an obviously abusive post and it has not been infracted. I have then PM'd a mod and they have said they didn't see it, but then take action.

I think some reports slip through the cracks.

• Advertisement

There have been times when I have reported an obviously abusive post and it has not been infracted. I have then PM'd a mod and they have said they didn't see it, but then take action.

I think some reports slip through the cracks.

And this makes you lose sleep or something?

And this makes you lose sleep or something?

I prefer that if I report a post it gets looked at, and given our recent bumping of heads, I prefer it gets looked at carefully. Is it co-incidence that you have shown up in this thread?

I prefer that if I report a post it gets looked at, and given our recent bumping of heads, I prefer it gets looked at carefully. Is it co-incidence that you have shown up in this thread?

Lol it showed up in the new posts section and until your last post i had not even looked at who the OP was so don't be getting paranoid. I am just trying to understand the mentallity of someone who cares so much about words on the internet they would keep track of posts that they have reported and actually follow up on it if they feel they have not received justice.

This has come up a lot here, its a matter of time being wasted, as a Mod responding to someone reporting a post stating no further action to be taken, could end up in PM conversation with them..

We have a public ban list - could we not have a public list of posts reported and action taken?

Lol it showed up in the new posts section and until your last post i had not even looked at who the OP was so don't be getting paranoid. I am just trying to understand the mentallity of someone who cares so much about words on the internet they would keep track of posts that they have reported and actually follow up on it if they feel they have not received justice.

To use your logic for a second; you are caring about the mentality of someone who posts on the internet because they care about what someone who posts on the internet?

Should we compare mama's basements?

We have a public ban list - could we not have a public list of posts reported and action taken?

To what end? To satisfy the tiny minority who this "affects"?

To use your logic for a second; you are caring about the mentality of someone who posts on the internet because they care about what someone who posts on the internet?

Should we compare mama's basements?

Lol i don't really "care" and mamma's dead i got no basement

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This was discussed before (last March).

Have a read through that thread to help you understand why this would greatly (and unnecessarily IMHO) result in an increased workload for mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't see why the post you linked to should recieve any kind of action

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why? I report posts, and after that, its not my problem anymore, and tbh, I dont care what happens next.

The only reason someone would want a follow up is if they are somehow affected by the post in question. In that case, if you see no action, by all means pm the mod to ask why. But with the majority of reported posts it would just be a massive headache to respond indivudually to the reporter simply because procedure requires it. Honestly, most do not care.

• Advertisement

To what end? To satisfy the tiny minority who this "affects"?

Well, how many people look at the ban list?

seamus post in the previous thread seems to outline a mechanism that would work, and actually help mods following a particular thread.

Also I could envision a system that would do the following:

1. Add the report post to a database
    2. Automatically send a tracking ID to the reporter
    3. Update the database once a post has been actioned/or marked no action
    4. The reporter could then check the database tracking and only see posts they have reported (not every post) - no interaction with mods required.

This would actually reduce mod work responding to PMs reminding about reported posts.

Well, how many people look at the ban list?

seamus post in the previous thread seems to outline a mechanism that would work, and actually help mods following a particular thread.

Also I could envision a system that would do the following:

1. Add the report post to a database
    2. Automatically send a tracking ID to the reporter
    3. Update the database once a post has been actioned/or marked no action
    4. The reporter could then check the database tracking and only see posts they have reported (not every post) - no interaction with mods required.

This would actually reduce mod work responding to PMs reminding about reported posts.

All excellent ideas. Now where should boards send the invoice? You know to play for the guys to write up the code and then integrate it into an already perfectly working system? I assume you will be paying for this as you seem to be the only one who wants it? Or should the owners take the hit to keep one customer happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

One of the other significant issues in that thread is developer time - as is common in so many organisations, there is a huge list of things to do, and if it is agreed that something like this is to be implemented, it has to go to the end of a very big list.

So it is not an unwillingness to do anything, it is a question of time and resources.

All excellent ideas. Now where should boards send the invoice? You know to play for the guys to write up the code and then integrate it into an already perfectly working system? I assume you will be paying for this as you seem to be the only one who wants it? Or should the owners take the hit to keep one customer happy?

What's with the hostility?

I'm plainly not the only one that thinks this is a good idea gien the other thread. I accept there are finite resources, I never questioned that, but the point of feedback is to throw out discussion of ideas.

And boards.ie is perfect? OK.

What's with the hostility?

I'm plainly not the only one that thinks this is a good idea gien the other thread. I accept there are finite resources, I never questioned that, but the point of feedback is to throw out discussion of ideas.

And boards.ie is perfect? OK.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Well we would not be having intense debate about the front page if boards were perfect now would we?

Well we would not be having intense debate about the front page if boards were perfect now would we?

Please show me where i said "BOARDS" is perfect

Actually don't bother because you will claim what i wrote means what you think it means so i will reword just for you.
    All excellent ideas. Now where should boards send the invoice? You know to play for the guys to write up the code and then integrate it into an already good system that 99.9% of the customers seem happy with? I assume you will be paying for this as you seem to be the only one who wants it? Or should the owners take the hit to keep one customer happy?

There you go;)

Please show me where i said "BOARDS" is perfect

*sigh*

Now we are getting into squabbles about terminology. Not playing that game again as it tends to descend into you insulting me.

*sigh*

Now we are getting into squabbles about terminology. Not playing that game again as it tends to descend into you insulting me.

Gives you something to report....i like to encourage hobbies in the young:D

• Advertisement

Gives you something to report....i like to encourage hobbies in the young:D

...and we are done here.

Advertisement