Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transparency on reported posts

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

MadsL wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks for modding.

Let me be clear again - I'm not talking about following up every reported post with a PM to the reporter. I'm suggesting just pushing a button if you decide not action a reported post, hardly paperwork.

Yes but currently I am emailed any reported posts. I can pop my head onto mobile boards to read it and the thread then if deem it to be ok not go any further.
    With this system I would be obliged to make my way to a computer (full site needed to moderate) and tick a box just to satisfy a small number of posters.

I'm not trying to be unflamatory, just honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its not as simple as you make it sound. You are bringing accountability on a mods inaction on a reported post because it wasn't deemed to be problematic. Whoever reported it will then get an expectation to be able to challenge each instance of it. What's the point in implementing a ticket system without providing that bit of service too? Its inviting more actions of a mod. It's not really needed as most of the time we as users see when action is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I have no idea. I'm not a CMod. Rec seems to have more muppets. Am I wrong?

You're just showing how little you know about the moderation on here right now. Soc has some of the most troublesome forums on this site in it. Just because there's more visible moderator action going on doesn't actually tell you that much about how much moderator, CMod and Admin time is being taken up by that forum. Some of the forums that create the most headaches are actually rather small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Not many people read feedback. Maybe (pulls figure from air) 0.01% of all users.

But, I'm having a discussion with the mods here about it, you have made your view clear that you are opposed to the idea, no need to keep criticising me for having my view on it.

Yes but it's not a private discussion so i am entitled to reply with my opinion. It's not just me that is opposed to it EVERYONE (6/7 mods?) Is opposed to it but you still keep insisting that it's a good idea when it clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yes but currently I am emailed any reported posts. I can pop my head onto mobile boards to read it and the thread then if deem it to be ok not go any further.
    With this system I would be obliged to make my way to a computer (full site needed to moderate) and tick a box just to satisfy a small number of posters.

I'm not trying to be unflamatory, just honest.

Fair point, I had not realised that moderation was not enabled on touch.boards.ie - I'm sure there are calls for it.
    I realise you are being honest, no worries.
    Its not as simple as you make it sound. You are bringing accountability on a mods inaction on a reported post because it wasn't deemed to be problematic. Whoever reported it will then get an expectation to be able to challenge each instance of it. What's the point in implementing a ticket system without providing that bit of service too? Its inviting more actions of a mod. It's not really needed as most of the time we as users see when action is taken.

Hmmm. Yep, I must admit that I have challenged inaction; xenophobic posts on AH particularly grind my gears but the are not against charter. It hadn't occurred to me that inaction might bring accountability. Could perhaps be anon to the reporting user.
    nesf wrote: »
    You're just showing how little you know about the moderation on here right now. Soc has some of the most troublesome forums on this site in it. Just because there's more visible moderator action going on doesn't actually tell you that much about how much moderator, CMod and Admin time is being taken up by that forum. Some of the forums that create the most headaches are actually rather small.

In fairness nesf, as I am neither a mod, Cmod or Admin it is hard for me to see behind the scenes. I did not mean to imply that Soc mods have less to do, they just struck me as more 'civil' somehow. I guess you do have the likes of Politics, Parenting and PI to get the blood up.
    bumper234 wrote: »
    Yes but it's not a private discussion so i am entitled to reply with my opinion. It's not just me that is opposed to it EVERYONE (6/7 mods?) Is opposed to it but you still keep insisting that it's a good idea when it clearly isn't.

Yes. There are 6/7 mods who have responded. Could you let them deal with it and stop hectoring me about the fact that I am responding to their comments. You are adding little else to the discussion. I feel like you are trying to mod me yourself frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Fair point, I had not realised that moderation was not enabled on touch.boards.ie - I'm sure there are calls for it.

Hmmm. Yep, I must admit that I have challenged inaction; xenophobic posts on AH particularly grind my gears but the are not against charter. It hadn't occurred to me that inaction might bring accountability. Could perhaps be anon to the reporting user.

In fairness nesf, as I am neither a mod, Cmod or Admin it is hard for me to see behind the scenes. I did not mean to imply that Soc mods have less to do, they just struck me as more 'civil' somehow. I guess you do have the likes of Politics, Parenting and PI to get the blood up.

Yes. There are 6/7 mods who have responded. Could you let them deal with it and stop hectoring me about the fact that I am responding to their comments. You are adding little else to the discussion. I feel like you are trying to mod me yourself frankly.

You couldn't pay me enough.

bumper234 wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me enough.

Why do you insist in being personal?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bumper234, if you have nothing constructive to contribute, don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Those three wouldn't be the worst actually. Not by a long shot. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm trying to point out that you don't know what's going on behind the scenes so you don't know how much of an issue this actually is and how much extra work it could generate for certain mods (and you wouldn't know who would be worse affected).

nesf wrote: »
    Those three wouldn't be the worst actually. Not by a long shot. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm trying to point out that you don't know what's going on behind the scenes so you don't know how much of an issue this actually is and how much extra work it could generate for certain mods (and you wouldn't know who would be worse affected).

OK, fair enough if it adds work for the mods, that really was the opposite of what I hoped such a system would achieve. The idea of a Dispute Resolution for reported posts I guess would drive most mods up the wall. I hoped that it could have been setup as a pure self-service system.

So, as I said, just floating an idea...clearly a bad one if the mods feel it would add more work. Thanks for your input.

And thanks to all who mod/cmod/admin. Fair play to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm sure most people's reaction to the title will be "Oh, God NOO!!" - but hear me out.

I cannot keep track of reported posts unless I happen to remember or post in the forum that a post has been reported. Which means sometimes I end up PMing the mods to see if action has been taken. I'm often told - yeah, we looked at that but decided not to act - as there is no tracking of reported posts the only way I see what happens to reported posts is if action is taken.

Is there any way that something could be put in place that the person reporting could actually see that a mod has looked at the issue and closed the ticket of the reported post? Even if it is just a PM to the reporter stating no action taken.

Thanks for listening.

I responded to a user yesterday and tbh, I'm not 100% on what I'm replying to. I have personal stuff going on, family stuff going on, I know mods give a whole lot of time to this site, but sometimes we do have real life stuff that is far more important than the minutae of Boards.

I'd love to see some creative ideas rather than just criticism, which all of us can do, I'm not creative myself, though I love creative writers!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I responded to a user yesterday and tbh, I'm not 100% on what I'm replying to. I have personal stuff going on, family stuff going on, I know mods give a whole lot of time to this site, but sometimes we do have real life stuff that is far more important than the minutae of Boards.

I'd love to see some creative ideas rather than just criticism, which all of us can do, I'm not creative myself, though I love creative writers!

I hope you didn't read anything into this thread as critical K-9, and certainly not personally critical of you. Thanks for modding, especially AH.

I'm just trying to see if there is a way users can see what action has taken without having to PM a mod...it seems my idea may be more trouble than it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm not proposing that mods have to reply to every report.

I'm proposing a self-service lookup, a report generates a ticket number assigned to the report and PM/emails it to the user, using that ticket number a user who reported a post can look up and see the status of the reported post.

1. Unactioned
    2. Pending - and mod who 'grabbed' it for consideration.
    3. Warning
    4. infraction
    5. No action taken

No more nagging PMs to mods and fewer mod PM responses.

You'd actually probably have more nagging PMs

'What? That only got an warning/infraction??' 'Why was no action taken on this' etc

I frequently take action on posts that haven't been reported, I just come across them myself. What happens if those posts are then reported? I have to go in and fill out something to show what I've done? Sorry but that would put me off modding a huge amount, it would make it feel like a chore.

LizT wrote: »
    You'd actually probably have more nagging PMs

'What? That only got an warning/infraction??' 'Why was no action taken on this' etc

I frequently take action on posts that haven't been reported, I just come across them myself. What happens if those posts are then reported? I have to go in and fill out something to show what I've done? Sorry but that would put me off modding a huge amount, it would make it feel like a chore.

Yep, I imagine the gunfighter style drive-by infraction is satisfying alright. Pew!! Pew!!

I guess such a system would mean you would have to report the post yourself, then infract it. Unless some clever hamsters did that for you.

I wouldn't support anything that mad modding a chore.

T'anks for modding missus.

Advertisement