Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational health for nursing degree

Options
  • 09-07-2013 3:39pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a place on a nursing degree in UCD and received my registration/occupational health info today.

I've had some health problems and am now really worried they won't let me register even though I'm working as a HCA and have been well for quite a while. I was wondering if there was anyone that has been through this process that could tell me a bit about it? Do they just say yes or no? Or do they ask you to meet with them? I'm worried now and suddenly this isn't as much fun as it was :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm about to start 4th year nursing now, so that form is a while ago for me - but i don't recall any issues arising for anyone from it. The only situation that I could see there being a problem is that if you could potentially be a danger to yourself or others while on clinical placement.

I really wouldn't be worried about it though if you're managing your work as a HCA. Really. The UCD school of nursing staff are all v helpful if you have any questions or want to call them for a chat about it.

Did you get the form for choosing your hospital? That's the important one to get back to them quickly to increase your chances of getting your first choice. :)

This might be of interest:
    http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Supporting%20Nursing%20and%20Midwifery%20Students%20with%20a%20Disability%20in%20Clinical%20Practice.pdf

edited to add: by danger to others i'm thinking of something like untreated TB, something uncommon like that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Thanks Cuckoo. Yeah I've sent back the hospital choice form. Hoping for Vincent's but would be just as happy with the Mater. Did work experience there and loved it but Vincent's is a lot easier to get to for me.

Thanks for that link, it's very helpful and heartening as my disability is there and they seem to offer loads of support. I'm hoping that working as a HCA will be helpful. I know my employer would give me a letter attesting to my fitness as she's already offered any help she can and my gp will do the same.

I'm probably over thinking things, it's just that it takes so much work to get this far and I'd hate to be stopped for something that's outside of my control.

Advertisement