Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards summer mad mountain lake swim challenge

Options
  • 09-07-2013 3:44pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

In the depths of winter, some mad TDAR folks ran up a mountain and jumped in a lake. Is there any talk of doing a summer version, now that the weather is warm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    In the depths of winter, some mad TDAR folks ran up a mountain and jumped in a lake. Is there any talk of doing a summer version, now that the weather is warm?

Talk, will remain just that, talk. You'll never get consensus for a suitable weekend (just look at the TI calendar for the next month!). Did you have a date in mind Oryx? Build it and they will come;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sunday 11th August. 10am. Glenmalure.

Anyone?

Sunday 11th August. 10am. Glenmalure.

Anyone?

All hail the grasper of the nettle!

If the legs are still working a day after Tri the Lough, I'll be there. Proper swim this time, none of this quick dip business:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    All hail the grasper of the nettle!

If the legs are still working a day after Tri the Lough, I'll be there. Proper swim this time, none of this quick dip business:)
    And I am NOT hauling a wetsuit up this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

And I am NOT hauling a wetsuit up this time.

Skinny dipping??? I'm a maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Possibly. Can we like drive up to the lake? :pac:

BTH wrote: »
    Skinny dipping??? I'm a maybe.

There are certain sights I never want to see.

Any more definitely?

Possibly. Can we like drive up to the lake? :pac:

If by like drive you mean drive to the Lodge and then bike and/or run, there are a myriad of route's, options, lakes, available, all of which will redefine your view on what it means to be sentient in this wonderful valley.

1) There's the run we did last December, park at Glenmalure lodge and run up along the forest trails to Kelly's Lough, where we could certainly swim for longer. Better weather would mean a nicer return route via Carrawaystick, where you get a full view across the valley, its one of the best views in Ireland.

2) Again starting from the lodge, we could (mountain) bike along the road through Glenmalure valley, cross the river, past the hostel and up until we run out of trail. Dump the bikes, continue up along the trail (magical views all along here), then run along by table track and Three lakes for a few km, to Lough Firrib. Swimming in this lough is incredible- there's a view from it of Tonelagee that has to be experienced if you want to have lived a full life.

3) For those that aren't into knobbly tyres and shoes, starting from Laragh, long, steep (road) bike up along the Wicklow Gap, dump the bikes at the Reservoir, run the couple of km to Lough Firrib for a swim, and the return will certainly dry you off!

4), 5), 6), etc, loads more options. All can end at a fantastic pub (Lynham's or the Lodge), but for it to happen needs people committing to a great day out. Don't get me wrong, I'd like nothing more than to be the sole accompaniment to a wetsuitless Oryx up in the mountains, but I get the feeling she's organising this in the hope a gang from the forum can come together for a good bit of fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    If by like drive you mean drive to the Lodge and then bike and/or run, there are a myriad of route's, options, lakes, available, all of which will redefine your view on what it means to be sentient in this wonderful valley.

I'm becoming a like swimmer these days so this stuff all sounds crazy to me. Can we not just meet in Bray, go for a long swim and then just like drink like beer in one of Bray's fine establishments?

I'm becoming a like swimmer these days so this stuff all sounds crazy to me. Can we not just meet in Bray, go for a long swim and then just like drink like beer in one of Bray's fine establishments?
    Youd miss the pretty scenery though. :P

And I'm boring and teetotal these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sounds good if I can get free that weekend

Advertisement