Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This will be interesting to guys with 10/22s, Comparing 10/22 bolts High-speed

Options
  • 09-07-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I had a few guys ask me to take a high speed of a standard 10/22 bolt and an upgraded one.
    I hope you find it interesting

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The top one, as you said, closes slower than the standard one. However is it the bolt handle or am i seeing things, but the top one seems to pitch/yaw more than the standard.

Also the bolt bounce while bigger on the standard is not of such variation as to cause me any concern. Other than that the standard seems to be capable of a higher rate of fire. Supposition there based on bolt speed.

Now i say this as a complete impartial as i don't own one, and am basing my comments on viewing the video only.

Good video though. Very well done on it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Good Video.

What is the weight of the 2 bolts complete with all mods attached ?

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Cass wrote: »
    The top one, as you said, closes slower than the standard one. However is it the bolt handle or am i seeing things, but the top one seems to pitch/yaw more than the standard.

Also the bolt bounce while bigger on the standard is not of such variation as to cause me any concern. Other than that the standard seems to be capable of a higher rate of fire. Supposition there based on bolt speed.

Now i say this as a complete impartial as i don't own one, and am basing my comments on viewing the video only.

Good video though. Very well done on it.

Good points the pitch you see is not the bolt but the guide rail its about 3 mil shorter than the normal one, why i don't know, so when the bolt hits the buffer the shock causes it to pitch down but the bolt does not just the rod and the handle pitch, thats what i see i may be wrong.

The faster cycle time of the stock ruger while closes faster i really don't think a human could possibly fire it that fast maybe they can but i sure cannot

Good Video.

GH

ohh I'll have to get back to you on that

Ziggieire wrote: »
    Good points the pitch you see is not the bolt but the guide rail its about 3 mil shorter than the normal one, why i don't know, so when the bolt hits the buffer the shock causes it to pitch down but the bolt does not just the rod and the handle pitch, thats what i see i may be wrong.
    It obviously does not affect the performance? Would it cause long term issues or wear and tear?

Again a Ruger newbie here so curious.
    The faster cycle time of the stock ruger while closes faster i really don't think a human could possibly fire it that fast maybe they can but i sure cannot
    I would love to see 10 rounds in each, have them "linked" to a machine that would start them at the same time, and a timer would measure which one fires the 10 the fastest.

Regardless of the outcome, as you said a human would most likely not perceive the time difference.

That's the thing about your videos. they allow for questions that would never come up due to not being able to see it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

It obviously does not affect the performance? Would it cause long term issues or wear and tear?

no the only thing the rod touches is it goes trough the chargeing handle and the back of it is sitting in a indent at the rear of the receiver, the spring is always under tension so it never touches anything else

I would love to see 10 rounds in each, have them "linked" to a machine that would start them at the same time, and a timer would measure which one fires the 10 the fastest.

Regardless of the outcome, as you said a human would most likely not perceive the time difference.
    Ill ask santa
    That's the thing about your videos. they allow for questions that would never come up due to not being able to see it.
    Thats what i'm going for i know i don't have the answers but between all of us we can make a dam good guess

.......... but between all of us we can make a dam good guess
    Can't beat SWAG. (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

ohh I'll have to get back to you on that

With the 10/22 being a heavy bolt delayed design (just like the Carl Gustaf, Uzi and Mac 10 SMGs) there would be a direct relationship with the speed at which the gun cycles (bolt speed) and the weight of the bolt.

The heavier the bolt the slower and longer it takes on firing for the bolt to commence rearward movement.

There is clear evidence of this all across the net and YouTube with people running lightened bolts in their Uzis.

Obviously the Ruger is a semi auto vs the uzi being full auto but as their action is the same guy bares significant relevance

Gh

Good Video.

GH

after-market bolt is 6.3oz firing pin is .1oz and handle spring shaft is 1.6 = 7.4oz
    stock ruger bolt 6.4 oz firing pin is .3oz handle spring shaft is .8oz = 7.5 oz

Advertisement