Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp ingestation - blackcurrant bush

• 09-07-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi - We have a blackcurrant bush in the garden.
    Not sure exactly what it is but gives a fruit each year (not sure if safe edible or not)

Anyway - each year we have a period where it is absolutely jumping with wasps. At the moment its absolutely buzzing.

Is it normal that wasps are attracted particularly to a blackcurrant plant.

Its a nice looking feature so we don't really want to remove it, however may bite the bullet and just get rid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Before you do that, I'd love a cutting or the whole thing if you like!! Wasps are great for eating greenfly and pollinating my tomatoes! I wouldn't try moving it for the moment though unless you like getting stung for your troubles :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Supercell wrote: »
    Before you do that, I'd love a cutting or the whole thing if you like!! Wasps are great for eating greenfly and pollinating my tomatoes! I wouldn't try moving it for the moment though unless you like getting stung for your troubles :)

But do you know if there is a link that black currant bush always typically attracts wasps?
    If so - is it a brief spell typically each year or no particular duration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Only if its in flower or being devoured by greenfly and the bees are attracted by the resultant sap I would have thought.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

might be a nest near by, wasps sometimes borrow underground

Advertisement