Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil or gas heating better?

• 09-07-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭

My father lets a house that currently has a kerosene oil fired boiler. This is coming to the end of its life and we are hoping to arrange a new one before the autumn/winter. I've personally used both and probably favoured oil but prepaying for fuel often puts off tenants. Is there much difference between oil and gas in a) installation costs for a new boiler and b) running/fuel costs, c) reliability/lifetime of boiler and finally if one is changing from oil to gas is there any extra charges incurred with either the RGI or gas supplier? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

sweetie wrote: »
    My father lets a house that currently has a kerosene oil fired boiler. This is coming to the end of its life and we are hoping to arrange a new one before the autumn/winter. I've personally used both and probably favoured oil but prepaying for fuel often puts off tenants. Is there much difference between oil and gas in a) installation costs for a new boiler and b) running/fuel costs, c) reliability/lifetime of boiler and finally if one is changing from oil to gas is there any extra charges incurred with either the RGI or gas supplier? thanks

gas is cheaaper per kwh than oil. If you have gas mains available in your area better option financially for the tennant.

Cost of new gas boiler against cost of new oil boiler burner. Would be pretty much the same. However it would be more than likly a straight swap with the oil boiler and a balancing flue. You will need to bring a gas line to the new gas boiler.

New gas boilers must be fit by an rgi and in order to get your warrantee on the oil boiler . it must be fitted by an oftec registered plumber and passport sent off.

My choice would be gas and that tank for the oil is also gone. I fit both systems and registered with both organisations. However if you where to follow all the procedures in place for the oil. You more than likly will be replacing more than the boiler.
    The TI/133D assessment of the oil storage and fire risk should be carried out and boiler passport complete on commisioning. (others may have different opionions) however i comply with assessment and passport or i dont do the job. As far as I am concerned legislation leaves me liable.
    Gas is regulated and all rgi,s will follow the procedure. but not with oil. be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Definitely cheaper for Nat Gas.

Especially for rental properties, it is easier to manage with Nat Gas also as the bill contract will be with the tenant. With oil you rarely get left with oil in the tank & always an issue between lettings.
    Tenants can also opt for pre-pay meter which suits most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Handier and cheaper for tenants ( Nat gas ) tenant can get another bill pay board gas customer ( gas or electric )
    To go guarantor, and do not need to pay deposit on gas.
    Very handy as they have also had to lay out for deposit and month in advance on house.
    But if its a choice between LPG (gas) and kerosene, go oil.
    From an oil fan!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    Definitely cheaper for Nat Gas.

Especially for rental properties, it is easier to manage with Nat Gas also as the bill contract will be with the tenant. With oil you rarely get left with oil in the tank & always an issue between lettings.
    Tenants can also opt for pre-pay meter which suits most.

Pre pay a lot more expinsive per Kw.
    I prefer the gaurantor route. If they can't afford the gas bill I wouldn't want them renting off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

scudo2 wrote: »
    Pre pay a lot more expinsive per Kw.
    I prefer the gaurantor route. If they can't afford the gas bill I wouldn't want them renting off me.

True it's more expensive per kwh but most people need to budget & cannot afford lump sum bills. The pre-pay meter system offers this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement