Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Megathread *READ OP*

Comments

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Jaysus, there's always one, trolling for attention. "amazing, excellent everything, but people suck so....3.5/5."

tbh I imagine that a 3.5 out of 5 score is far more reflective of the actual game than any of the 10/10. GTA4 was met with similar perfect scores only for it to turn out to be nowhere near close to perfect. Anytime a major title is released the main critics fall all over themselves to give the best possible score only to then go back years later and look at the game and give a less flattering review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Going to be 55 in tesco , or 50 if you spend €20 was expecting better from them.

Still glad I went the amazon route now the sizable saving makes the wait bearable, any word if supervalue are stocking it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tbh I imagine that a 3.5 out of 5 score is far more reflective of the actual game than any of the 10/10. GTA4 was met with similar perfect scores only for it to turn out to be nowhere near close to perfect. Anytime a major title is released the main critics fall all over themselves to give the best possible score only to then go back years later and look at the game and give a less flattering review.

Bioshock Infinite effect.... It was good, but not as good as Reviews were raving about it. I agree, GTA 4 had great reviews, but it was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Bioshock Infinite effect.... It was good, but not as good as Reviews were raving about it. I agree, GTA 4 had great reviews, but it was crap.

Crap by GTA's standards. I didn't hate GTA IV so much as I was disappointed with it. I did get several hours enjoyment out of it (especially with the cheats) and it kept me interested enough to play the story to near completion, didn't bother with the multiplayer (was there a multiplayer?) as I don't care for that sort of thing.

It was the needy friends/girlfriends thing that pissed me off the most. That and the fact it felt more like a step back or a step sideways next to San Andreas, which was brilliant.

Cannot ****ing wait to play V! Soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Mine arrived today, from Amazon via PM, and I'm 430 kilometres the other end of the country until Wednesday week, sickened!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Anyone else going to the HMV Opening in Dundrum? Wondering what time I should get there for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm getting too sensible in my old age. I'll pop over to the shops tomorrow at lunch and if I can't get a copy I'll just wait.

I wonder when I lost my zest for life. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Anytime a major title is released the main critics fall all over themselves to give the best possible score only to then go back years later and look at the game and give a less flattering review.

I reckon that speaks to the quality of the gaming industry ever improving rather than blind love of a new game. Almost every game would get a reduced score if comparing it to games coming out a few years later. For example, Ocarina of Time is not a 10/10 game in 2013.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I reckon that speaks to the quality of the gaming industry ever improving rather than blind love of a new game. Almost every game would get a reduced score if comparing it to games coming out a few years later. For example, Ocarina of Time is not a 10/10 game in 2013.

I think it speaks more about the dreadful state of games journalism out there. Far too many of them are immature 20 somethings that fall for the hype everytime and therefore can't give an impartial opinion.

As for Ocarina of Time, sure it's aged and the engine is janky but it still holds up as an amazing and playable piece of software after all these years, definitely a 9/10 at the very least and at release it was a 10/10 game due to how ahead of it's time it was. Sure that does back up your point about how fast the industry is moving but in the case of something like GTAIV you look back at it and think it really wasn't deserve of those scores at the time and was always a fairly dull game with lots of problems. There's a big difference there.

Of course that's not really anything new, for example look at donkey Kong Country, a pretty mediocre platformer at the time with some pretty naff graphics but reviews got caught in the hype storm of 3D CGI on the SNES and gave it silly scores. I guess we are all guilty of this as well, myself included, so it's good and healthy to look back at something and admit you are where wrong. It annoys me how many can't do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems there's problems with installing the game on the HDD of 360's. You are only supposed to install the first disc otherwise you get textruee streaming errors. The game is optimised to stream data from the HDD and disc 2 at the same time.

Bit of a pain in the ass if you like your 360 to be quiet when you play games and don't want to risk it overheating (the DVD drive contributes a lot to this since it sits on top of the GPU).

Also apparently installing disc 1, a 7.7 GB install, is mandatory. If you have a 4GB XBox 360 you're boned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would agree mostly, but OOT, remains one of my favourite games of all time. It's got so much character and charm. I can still hear the ST in my head! :D I bought a N64 just for that game! I was a Playstation only player at the time.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seems there's problems with installing the game on the HDD of 360's. You are only supposed to install the first disc otherwise you get textruee streaming errors. The game is optimised to stream data from the HDD and disc 2 at the same time.

Bit of a pain in the ass if you like your 360 to be quiet when you play games and don't want to risk it overheating (the DVD drive contributes a lot to this since it sits on top of the GPU).

Also apparently installing disc 1, a 7.7 GB install, is mandatory. If you have a 4GB XBox 360 you're boned.

yeah, Rockstar announced today [on FB] that you are not to install the actual gameplay disc,just the install one. Or you're likely to encounter problems like you mention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is why more publications need to do away with review scores. Allow the criticisms to speak for themselves. Plenty of the gushingly enthusiastic reviews have plenty of valid criticisms - the treatment of women, a narrative of mixed success, a lot of driving from A to B. These are points worth raising, even if they're completely overwhelmed by the good the game does. It's why it's reductive to have to try and simplify what could be a complex response into a couple of numbers. It's ludicrous, really.

As for The Escapist review, the main complaint seems to be that the reviewer didn't like playing as a psychopath (a note echoed briefly in the Eurogamer one, anyway). It's a valid if not entirely convincingly argued point, although personally I think a psychopathic player character actually suits the world and gameplay of GTA better than an 'allegedly' well-adjusted one like Nico, creating a contradiction in the process. Guess we'll wait and see how the three player approach works in this context, all we can do is reserve judgement.

That said, I'd love a world where critics were brave enough to voice sensible dissent without facing the inevitable backlash. I've read excellent reviews I've completely disagreed with - the fun part of criticism, and the bit that can help improve our own analytical skills, is proactively engaging and accepting alternate opinions: a trait the most vocal gamers have yet to adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

As for The Escapist review, the main complaint seems to be that the reviewer didn't like playing as a psychopath

As the reviewer reversed over pedestrians, murdered hookers, sucker punched grannies, gunned down waves of cops

"the main character is too much of a psychopath"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Well in fairness, GTA 4 wasn't crap. It was clearly a game that was overall reasonably well-designed and at least engaging enough to warrant a finish. I'd have personally said it was a 5 or a 6 out of 10 game, although I tend to treat the 4-6 range differently to the gaming press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Folks, does this have mouse & keyboard support on the 360?

And if so, can I use any mouse and keyboard or do I need some xbox proprietary peripherals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

since when have we got to the point if a critic score out weighs the article where it matters most

I have seen people on eurogamer bitch that its not a 10, others saying about the escapist guy he is trolling.

Since when has ones opinion or view on a game is wrong from a bunch of people who not have even played the game yet.

many people dislike mgs4 while i think its amazing and i think the dark knight rises is a stupid film while everyone else loved it

i am glad the escapist dude had the balls to give the score he did and he had a right to if he saw merit.

It wont deter peoples enjoyment from the game

It wasn't balls made him do it, it was brains. Look how many are mentioning his review all over the net now! I'd never heard of him before today - clever boy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Having not played it yet I have no opinion on it yet. Most of the people attacking a review should at least played it. Thats just my thoughts on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Having not played it yet I have no opinion on it yet. Most of the people attacking a review should at least played it. Thats just my thoughts on it.

We were talking about this in the office today, how people will salivate for opinions for something they haven't played, but as soon as they hear one they don't like, they'll go against it, abuse the author and tell them they're wrong, like clockwork. Makes you wonder if there's actually any point in reviewing games as opposed to just running features, because, fcuk knows, gamers certainly dont want any opinion other than their own

• Advertisement

Gaming journalism for the most part is rather poor with most reviews bring little more than a brief overview of the game with a score tacked on. GTA4 was never anything other than a rather average game with done poor gaming mechanics and a storyline that simply wasn't interesting. It was like that on day one. It simply wasn't a game worthy of all those 10/10 reviews and I doubt part 5 is either. Compare GTA4 with Vice City and they're worlds apart. VC remains just as much fun as the first day it hit shelves whereas GTA4 is a chore yo play. Sure driving around is fun but the storyline is woeful

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

KonFusion wrote: »
    Folks, does this have mouse & keyboard support on the 360?

And if so, can I use any mouse and keyboard or do I need some xbox proprietary peripherals?

Pretty sure the xbox has never had support for mouse and keyboard. PS3 might tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

5uspect wrote: »
    Pretty sure the xbox has never had support for mouse and keyboard. PS3 might tho.

Really? Ah feck.

PS3 might eh... hmm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The game is bloody hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have to get through a day of work then its sweet GTA freedom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have to get through a day of work then its sweet GTA freedom!

High five! 3 days off after today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

****ting it that I won't find a copy this evening :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

YbFocus wrote: »

Harvey Normans and Argos are spose to have loads of copies if there's one near you. Smyths also seems to have copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Harvey Normans and Argos are spose to have loads of copies if there's one near you. Smyths also seems to have copies.
    All sold out as far as I know. You can check the stock availability on their site.
    YbFocus wrote: »

Unless you preordered, you're probably out of luck. You may get a copy tomorrow as you'll get plenty of people who never picked up their copies, or cancelled pre-orders at the last minute because they got the game elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

anyone know what price harveys are selling it for? or, where is cheapest for that matter?

Advertisement