Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Megathread *READ OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I'm taking a time out, on the way somewhere else, but just so happen to be parked in traffic behind one of these vans. I might just rob it :D

Well that went disastrously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First adventure outside the confines of the pre-set missions:

Hopped in a car and headed to the nearby Los Santos International Airport. Used a sand dune as an impromptu ramp to get me and my car over the security gate. Cops and helicopter were on me instantly, so led them on a two minute chase around the huge airport grounds until I found a private jet.

Took to the air, but alas it was too damaged and ended up stalling somewhere just outside the city. I bailed out. Woke up in a hospital in the middle of Hicksville, where there seemed to be a psychopath running around shooting at any passer by. Left her to her business and hopped on the first quad bike that came by. Headed up to the top of the nearby radio tower, and was intrigued by the distant mountain. So off I went to scale it. Alas, one overly enthusiastic acceleration later, my quad went flying down the mountain. I managed to escape, and was forced to continue on foot. Regrettably, I was soon gored by some sort of large wild cat.

Waking up in another hospital, I said **** it and went to the cinema instead, which looked like Mann's Chinese Theatre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have to say I'm in love with this game, Did my first heist and love the way that you can change things up.

Haven't been in a chopper or anything yet, but to be fair I haven't set foot outside of Los Santos yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you replay a mission (for example the first heist) can you get paid twice? Or do you just keep your "best score" for the mission. I have to say I'm loving the mountains of cash you can make. Really lifts the constraints of classic GTA where you start with a tenner and no weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

First day in real work after getting game last night.

Got this GTA grogginess.

This is going to be a long slog.

Game is amazing, and I'm only beginning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My copy just arrived from Amazon!!!! Yes!!!!! I need to go to town first :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

My copy just arrived from Amazon!!!! Yes!!!!! I need to go to town first :(

You swine!

Mine still somewhere in the postal system :(

danthefan wrote: »
    You swine!

Mine still somewhere in the postal system :(

I was shocked! I just woke up and was walking pass door, when a whole bunch of stuff droped in through letterbox. Amazon package gave me morning erection.

In fairness fair play to amazon. Wensday morning with super saver delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

humanji wrote: »
    Is there a cast list anywhere? I could swear Stan Lee is one of the newsreaders.

There's a few voice I want to check up on! One of the DJs on the radio sounds very like JB Smoove [Leon from Curb your enthusiasm] And a few others sound familiar. Michael's son, Jimmy, sounds like one of Jesse's mates in Breaking Bad

[edit] Did my bit of research, I was right on JB Smoove, he does indeed co-host a show on GTA radio under the name Dr. Ray. I was wrong on Jimmy though, its not Jonh Hill either, it's Danny Tamberelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's a few voice I want to check up on! One of the DJs on the radio sounds very like JB Smoove [Leon from Curb your enthusiasm] And a few others sound familiar. Michael's son, Jimmy, sounds like one of Jesse's mates in Breaking Bad

It's Jonah Hill.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    It's Jonah Hill.

It's not. It's Danny Tamberelli.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848543/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Quick blast of it last night.

After completing the intro, decided to start small and explore my house. Plonked down on the couch to smoke some dope while flicking between my 3 channels. Think it was only 3 anyway. Went into the bathroom to try to flush the toilet, sadly it didnt work. Went to the bedroom to put on a tank top and pair of black "Bono" sunglasses. Looking suitably badass/idiotic I bounded out the door but somehow managed to do a "go rigid" animation in midair which meant I fell flat on my face :confused: Which was kind of appropriate since I was wearing sunglasses at night.

Checked my garage to see a fairly boring looking car. Left it where it was and walked down the street to come across what looked like a Dodge Challenger at a traffic light. Fired out the driver and then checked the map for icons. Noticed a high heel symbol which I assumed was a clothes shop - it wasnt. Wandered into the strip club, sat at the podium and threw some money at a stripper. Then was offered a private dance which I didnt like to refuse for a measly 40 quid. During the dance I discovered the "grope" button. Just like in the GTAIV stripclub I began to question what I was doing with my life and was about to leave when I was promptly thrown out by two bouncers for excessive groping! 2 minutes into the game and I was kicked out of a stripclub, this was GTA alright! :D

Checked the map again to find the pistol symbol. Noticed I had no guns so headed to Ammunation. Could only afford to buy a hunting knife! :( Tried out my shooting skills at the range, it wasnt pretty. Back outside the shop, knifed the first pedestrian I found in full view of a squad car! High speed chase ensued where I ended up getting shot by a police helicopter. Will definitely need to buy body armour!

Now the long wait til I get back to it tonight! :D

It's such a vast, fulfilling, diverse gaming experience. I love that everyone has different side stories, I love that everyone will experience unique events. The only time it feels 'on rails' is during cut scenes, even in missions you can have a completely different experience to other players.

Last night I was cruising along in a Banshee, somewhere along the coast, heading towards the pier/funfair, when I spotted a chopper landing in the distance! I instantly re-directed that-a-way, as I got to the heli-pad, the pilot had just left it, and I jumped in. Wahey! free chopper! I got to fly over the city, and scope out areas I never would have found in a car/walking. Later, I was in a cable car, heading up to Mount Chiliad. When I got to the top there was a couple of scrambler bikes abandoned there, grabbed one and tried to make it down the side of the mountain .... hit an awkward bump and died! After recovering I headed to that strip club, took the private dance, made sure to do my groping when the bouncer wasn't looking, seemed to be getting somewhere when the dancer stopped and looked for more cash to continue ... feck that - took off, did a couple of actual missions and unlocked Michael - meaning a whole new bunch of missions.

Loving it, not even scratched the surface yet, so much to see and do.

People complain about the price of the game, and moan that it might be a bit better looking on PC blah, de blah ... this is a game to play on a large screen, chill on the sofa, have some beers/smokes/plenty of munchies, and just buzzzzzz! It's fun, it's a blast, you'll be more entertained in 2 hours play than any movie or other game will offer. I don't think games like this suit PC at all. Who wants to be hunched over a keyboard, sat in the usual stiff chair, worrying about how sharp the textures are because they spent €1500+ on a rig that should be able to handle it??

Nah, this game is for the couch spud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just heard a thud down stairs and went to see it was my copy from amazon , wasn't expecting it to arrive until tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Can play PC on the big screen sat on the couch with a controller

With bonus option of hunching over glowing monitor analysing the sharpness of textures :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bit of advice, don't walk near a planes propeller.

People complain about the price of the game, and moan that it might be a bit better looking on PC blah, de blah ... this is a game to play on a large screen, chill on the sofa, have some beers/smokes/plenty of munchies, and just buzzzzzz! It's fun, it's a blast, you'll be more entertained in 2 hours play than any movie or other game will offer. I don't think games like this suit PC at all. Who wants to be hunched over a keyboard, sat in the usual stiff chair, worrying about how sharp the textures are because they spent €1500+ on a rig that should be able to handle it??

In fairness it's easy to get a more comfortable set up for a PC with a bit of thought put into it.

Also you could use a controller if needs be.

But when it comes to the online aspect, the PC would offer a lot more with manual aiming.
    You kind of have to use auto with the controllers which would take away from the skill of it when it launches.
    Varik wrote: »
    Bit of advice, don't walk near a planes propeller.

I learned this the hard way last night, just finished the first flying mission and was impatient getting out. Don't think it completed as I hadn't pressed A to continue after the mission stats :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

Copy arrived this morning in work from amazon only posted on Monday evening so i wasnt expecting it so quickly. Good work amazon/an post

Going to give this a good belt tonight

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Can play PC on the big screen sat on the couch with a controller

With bonus option of hunching over glowing monitor analysing the sharpness of textures :p

Of course it's possible, just not for everyone. I have a decent laptop, 17" full HD, i7, 3.3Ghz, NVidia 640M 2GB card ... it'll handle any modern games on high at least. I'm not completely against GTA on PC, it's more of a chill to lay back on a sofa and play, and not worry about graphics. Which, IMO, are completely fine as is - at least on my 42" HDTV ;)

Only regular PC gamers would have anything close to that size monitor hooked up - the guys who spend a LOT of money on their rigs. Nobody ever expects a console to match those, but they do the job running games like this pretty smooth for a hell of a lot less. Affordable to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im amazed at how good it looks compared to GTAIV especially. I was expecting the typical aliased fuzzy mess but they really have wrung everything out of the old hardware.

Still though, when Im bombing around at full pelt in a sports car or in a heavy firefight and then its starts creaking down to 20fps, I really pine for a PC version of it. Its by no mean unplayable but an overall higher frame rate would make it so much more enjoyable.

As for the hunched over the keyboard Vs Couch debate, hook your gaming PC up to your HDTV. A good PC will eat any modern game when its being run in 1080p. Then plug in your 360 controller. Best of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Agricola wrote: »
    Im amazed at how good it looks compared to GTAIV especially. I was expecting the typical aliased fuzzy mess but they really have wrung everything out of the old hardware.

Still though, when Im bombing around at full pelt in a sports car or in a heavy firefight and then its starts creaking down to 20fps, I really pine for a PC version of it. Its by no mean unplayable but an overall higher frame rate would make it so much more enjoyable.

Still though, i can't remember it happening (and it has happened). The game is just too good to leave the odd framerate drop or pop-ins taking away from the experience.

Now back to it for another marathon session!

I'm finding the menus and maps very laggy, might try installing the 2nd disc onto a flash drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

My copy from Amazon (posted Monday evening) arrived this morning!

Incredible game!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Has anyone robbed a Security Van for giggles yet?

I thought it was hilarious.

I gave it a go just now. A lot better looking on ps3 then gta 4 was that's for sure, but it is still an ads looking game. I can't wait get a proper pc version and play it all pumped out 1080p on 42inch tv.

Game so far is fun. A lot more fun then gta 4 already. Dialog is just awesome. Just listening to banter between characters made me smile lots of Times. Still can't find a good radio station, just needs more time.

Lmao you can take "selfies" on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Of course it's possible, just not for everyone. I have a decent laptop, 17" full HD, i7, 3.3Ghz, NVidia 640M 2GB card ... it'll handle any modern games on high at least. I'm not completely against GTA on PC, it's more of a chill to lay back on a sofa and play, and not worry about graphics. Which, IMO, are completely fine as is - at least on my 42" HDTV ;)

Only regular PC gamers would have anything close to that size monitor hooked up - the guys who spend a LOT of money on their rigs. Nobody ever expects a console to match those, but they do the job running games like this pretty smooth for a hell of a lot less. Affordable to most people.

Your laptop doesn't have HDMI out ? Honestly... has any graphics card in the last 4 or 5 years not had HDMI out ? Even my 3 year old laptop has one fs..

It mightn't suit everyone to play it on PC, but it sure as hell would suit a lot of others. I've my TV on the wall right behind my system, all connected and perfectly positioned for some lounging on the bed playing some casual games. Much rather play it like that with higher resolutions, textures and framerates along with much less pop-ins etc that my PC would provide than on the console. It runs quite well on the console anyway, but still.. i look forward to a PC release.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Vicxas wrote: »

I tried to last night. It was near the end of a playing it all day marathon, and I was beginning to feel the effects of the beers. Needless to say it went disastrously wrong and total mayhem ensued. I wound up in a hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Vicxas wrote: »

I saw one, pulled up near it, hopped out of the car and ran towards it. The guys saw me, got in the truck and ran me over. So I got up and ran to my car to chase them, only to find some utter b*stard stealing my car and ran me over with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I gave it a go just now. A lot better looking on ps3 then gta 4 was that's for sure, but it is still an ads looking game. I can't wait get a proper pc version and play it all pumped out 1080p on 42inch tv.

Game so far is fun. A lot more fun then gta 4 already. Dialog is just awesome. Just listening to banter between characters made me smile lots of Times. Still can't find a good radio station, just needs more time.

Rock Radio.
    Queen, Genesis, Foreigner

Advertisement