Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Megathread *READ OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Agricola wrote: »
    Love the crazy attention to detail. When in the back of a taxi, spin around the bonnet camera to look into the car. When you press up to look at your phone, Michael looks down at his phone. Put away the phone he looks up and out the window! Not sure if his should wow me, but it does! :D

The attention to detail is simply astonishing. The water in particular. It looks great but If you wade knee deep in some water your trousers only appear wet to that level. Similarity you leave a trail of water on the ground when you get out.

Also the new police chase system is great. It really makes you have to think about hiding or running either on foot on in a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

5uspect wrote: »

Also the new police chase system is great. It really makes you have to think about hiding or running either on foot on in a car.

Was chased by squad cars and a chopper at night there. The bright beam of light from the chopper illuminating the car and the police radio chatter is so authentic to movie chases its incredible! :D

As I was trying to outrun them, it just dawned on me that I could switch on and off the headlights in this game, so I ducked in under a flyover, parked in the middle of a bunch of other cars and turned off the lights. A few squad cars roared past me, and the light from the chopper past over me. Then silence, and I lost the wanted level soon after. Just like the opening sequence of Drive! :D Immense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have they updated the social club site? It now has a nifty map that shows what you found and didn't find so far. Don;t recall it being there yesterday :confused:

Also it has an amazing array of stats.

Edit: While looking for a "companion" I noticed that another car had pulled over behind me and was also checking out what was on offer for his 50, 70 or 100 dollars :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just a heads up: given the popularity of GTA V we've opted to keep this thread open for general chat about the game, but most of the conversation is taking place over on the GTA forum. Have a gander if you haven't already! Any more specific threads about the game will be sent over there.

You may now resume your general discussion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

5uspect wrote: »
    The attention to detail is simply astonishing. The water in particular. It looks great but If you wade knee deep in some water your trousers only appear wet to that level. Similarity you leave a trail of water on the ground when you get out.

Earlier I was messing with the phones theme and background wallpaper, and it changed in real time in Franklin's hand as I was doing it, fantastic little touches like that make it. The dialogue is absolutely hilarious as well, especially the banter between the three main characters.
    It's cool that they go about their lives when you're not controlling them instead of just staying wherever you leave them. So far I've jumped to them to find Franklin with a prostitute, Michael panned out asleep in his car and Trevor chasing a girl in a dune buggy apologising for pulling his dick out in public :pac:

Any minor gameplay complaints or jaggy lines in the graphics are easily forgiven when it's this much fun, it's injected all humour and mayhem that was sorely missing from IV back into the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

humanji wrote: »
    Is there a cast list anywhere? I could swear Stan Lee is one of the newsreaders.

I've been looking for one too, I'm convinced that the flight school instructor is Bob Odenkirk (Saul Goodman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Denise90 wrote: »
    I've been looking for one too, I'm convinced that the flight school instructor is Bob Odenkirk (Saul Goodman)

Here ya go http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103188/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sadly that only has a handful of the cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,520 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I rode a motorbike yesterday for the first time and cant get over how easy it is to drive compared to a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The heists! My god the heists!

It struck me that GTA is pretty much just becoming the 'all-game'. Remember Smugglers Run 1 and 2 on the PS2? This game has Smugglers Run 3, but because the game is on such an epic scale, it's just a small sub-section of Trevor missions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Headshot wrote: »
    I rode a motorbike yesterday for the first time and cant get over how easy it is to drive compared to a car

I find that too. Rarely even dent a bike no matter what speed Im going, but a car is in bits in 2 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm early in but seem a bit stuck.

Zapped the aliens with Michael (wierd) and also beat a runner.

Franklin's girlfriend has left him and he has done filming Poppy sex tape with Beverly.

Only ? on map is for the street race, and no sign of any other character to go to.

No one answers phones and I have switched characters and story does not progress.
    Also no sign of Trevor yet either.

Have I missed something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Woah...plenty of spoilers there.

Woah...plenty of spoilers there.

Spolers? It's real early in the game

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm early in but seem a bit stuck.
    Zapped the aliens with Michael (wierd) and also beat a runner.

Franklin's girlfriend has left him and he has done filming Poppy sex tape with Beverly.

Only ? on map is for the street race, and no sign of any other character to go to.

No one answers phones and I have switched characters and story does not progress.
    Also no sign of Trevor yet either.

Have I missed something?
    Have you completed that street race then? Or used Franklin to go to Michael's house?

Yeah, but it's still going to ruin some of the jokes for people just starting off.

humanji wrote: »
    Have you completed that street race then? Or used Franklin to go to Michael's house?

Haven't won the race yet, really don't like the racing and I'm crap at it, but that seems like a side mission to me.

Have brought Michael to Franklin's house and nothing happened but I will try vice versa tonight.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Haven't won the race yet, really don't like the racing and I'm crap at it, but that seems like a side mission to me.

Have brought Michael to Franklin's house and nothing happened but I will try vice versa tonight.

Thanks.

Yea go to Michael's House as Franklin it'll kick start a whole new bunch of missions! :)

Thanks.
    I hate them myself. Thankfully, if you fail twice you're given the option to skip it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'm 27% in and not done any of that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Right, so in the interest of fairness, I decided to make an attempt to try this again, but with a different frame of mind. I'd been playing GTA games previously like games. There was a story and progression there that I followed, because that's pretty much how my brain works for these things. Instead, this time I made a concerted effort to align my play style with each of the characters. They're scum, so I played like scum. Rather than fully absorbing myself in the open world (which I still find boring), I made the decision that for each mission I completed, I'd do a bit of exploring, seeing the sights and sounds of Los Santos, before switching character to one of the other guys, saving me the game-killing to-ing and fro-ing that drives me mental when looking for what I've to do next.

And you know what, it's kinda worked.

I'm certainly not in the 10/10 camp, but it's definitely an 8/10 for me now. Some of the writing is very enjoyable, particularly the interplay between characters, and while the missions are still pretty uninspired in places, putting yourself in the right mindset for the game does make a huge difference. I'm hoping I don't get bored of it before I can get through it all, which is my fear, but so far so good.

It's also proven to be a good exercise for me, mentally, approaching things from a new slant to see if my appreciation of the body of work changes in kind. It certainly won't make me an open world enthusiast, but I've definitely learned something here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm 27% in and not done any of that stuff.
    Then you skipped it as it happens at about 8% in. Although in general I think a spoiler tag should have been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

COYVB wrote: »
    I'm certainly not in the 10/10 camp, but it's definitely an 8/10 for me now. Some of the writing is very enjoyable, particularly the interplay between characters, and while the missions are still pretty uninspired in places, putting yourself in the right mindset for the game does make a huge difference. I'm hoping I don't get bored of it before I can get through it all, which is my fear, but so far so good.

Missions are uninspired? You haven't played enough of them yet so. It contains some of the best missions in any open world game ever. Glad you are starting to enjoy it though, hopefully that will increase as you play on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

DarkJager wrote: »
    Missions are uninspired? You haven't played enough of them yet so. It contains some of the best missions in any open world game ever. Glad you are starting to enjoy it though, hopefully that will increase as you play on :)

Well, essentially they all distill into twists on the very same mechanic, even if some of the set pieces themselves are quite well scripted. That's always been my issue with the GTA series... it's very "drive here, do x, drive somewhere else, do y, drive back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

COYVB wrote: »
    Right, so in the interest of fairness, I decided to make an attempt to try this again, but with a different frame of mind. I'd been playing GTA games previously like games. There was a story and progression there that I followed, because that's pretty much how my brain works for these things. Instead, this time I made a concerted effort to align my play style with each of the characters. They're scum, so I played like scum. Rather than fully absorbing myself in the open world (which I still find boring), I made the decision that for each mission I completed, I'd do a bit of exploring, seeing the sights and sounds of Los Santos, before switching character to one of the other guys, saving me the game-killing to-ing and fro-ing that drives me mental when looking for what I've to do next.

And you know what, it's kinda worked.

It's also proven to be a good exercise for me, mentally, approaching things from a new slant to see if my appreciation of the body of work changes in kind. It certainly won't make me an open world enthusiast, but I've definitely learned something here

They get much, much better once all three characters start interacting. The first one you do with all of them and the ability to change between them is brilliant.

I do find myself playing differently with each of them as well, Franklin is more by the book, Michael I do the odd crazy thing and Trevor, well...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

krudler wrote: »
    I do find myself playing differently with each of them as well, Franklin is more by the book, Michael I do the odd crazy thing and Trevor, well...

haha I'm the same, when I get tired of doing missions I always switch to Trevor & just **** things up

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

That`s a seller Amazon is still selling it for 38 pounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just got it for the 360 and I've just started installing the first disc. Will there be an option to just play from the second disc instead of installing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just got it for the 360 and I've just started installing the first disc. Will there be an option to just play from the second disc instead of installing?

It will aask you to put in disk two to finish the install but it dont install that disk

Advertisement