Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 World Matchplay Thread

• 09-07-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I few nice games in the first round. I have a feeling that Taylor may get knocked out by Kellett. Wade V Part could be another cracker if both players are in the mood.

Anderson needs to get his act together in this tournament or face dropping right down the rankings.

BetVictor World Matchplay Draw Bracket

Phil Taylor (1) v Stuart Kellett
    Terry Jenkins (16) v Andy Smith
    Raymond van Barneveld (8) v Mensur Suljovic
    Justin Pipe (9) v Mark Webster
    Simon Whitlock (5) v Jelle Klaasen
    Kevin Painter (12) v Jamie Lewis
    James Wade (4) v John Part
    Mervyn King (13) v Gary Anderson
    Michael van Gerwen (2) v Colin Lloyd
    Kim Huybrechts (15) v Peter Wright
    Wes Newton (7) v Jamie Caven
    Dave Chisnall (10) v Paul Nicholson
    Andy Hamilton (6) v Ronnie Baxter
    Robert Thornton (11) v Ian White
    Adrian Lewis (3) v Ronny Huybrechts
    Brendan Dolan (14) v Steve Beaton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Possible dream tie match-up of Suljovic v Pipe in Round 2.

Klassens first appearance on tv in england since the 'incident' could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Possible dream tie match-up of Suljovic v Pipe in Round 2.

Klassens first appearance on tv in england since the 'incident' could be interesting.

Did he not play in the UK Open???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

buster180 wrote: »
    Did he not play in the UK Open???
    Correct he played in the UK Open and was on ITV4 last weekend in the European Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irelandguy10

Thinking about putting a few euro on someone thinking Terry jenkins i know he will more then likely face phil taylor if he gets through but he is 100-1 some price

Bump, this has kind of sneaked up on us with so much going on in other sports.
    Kicks off tonight, with Terry Jenkins v The Pieman on stage at the moment.
    Also tonight is Wade v Part, Barney v Suljovic and Whitlock v Klaasen.
    Sky Sports 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is this just on tonight and tomorrow?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

KevIRL wrote: »

No it's on all week, finished on Sunday the 28th. This is a huge tournament, second only to the Worlds.

Terry Jenkins 10-3 Andy Smith in the first game of the tournament.

The Winter Gardens is definitely the best venue in darts, the crowd are always packed in and the atmosphere is class.

KevIRL wrote: »

Nope, its a long structure, first round is best of 19 increasing as it goes.
    Runs until next Sunday but as far as i remember its evenings only during the week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Runs until next Sunday but as far as i remember its evenings only during the week.

Correct, there is an afternoon session tomorrow though.

Barney v Suljovic is on next.

Great stuff will get to see a good bit of it so.

• Advertisement

Jamie Lewis is 9/4 to beat Painter this afternoon. He got to the final of the Gibralter tournamentrecently and could be worth a bet. Also +2.5 in the handicap @ evs

Pipe should make a complaint about Websters slow play here.

Pipe beats the injured Webster 10-4.
    Rest of the afternoon session is fairly unappealing.
    Painter v Jamie Lewis, Kim Huybrechts v Wright and Dolan v Beaton.

Evening session looks far better (shirley they could have swapped it round a bit).
    King v Anderson, Chisnail v Nicholson, Taylor v Kellett & MVG v Lloyd.

Huybrechts v Wright has the look of a great game imo.

Also think Lewis could cause a bit of a shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nicholson having a little cry there?

That was very strange, Nicholson crying on stage. Obviously not right mentally. Chisnall wins 10-8

Kingp35 wrote: »
    That was very strange, Nicholson crying on stage. Obviously not right mentally. Chisnall wins 10-8

His twitter page should be fun later!! Something seriously wrong with him at the moment

He cried at the WC of Darts as well didn't he?

James Wade had a cry not too long ago as well.

In other games, when a player cries, we sort of admire it as a by-product of the passion for what they're doing but in darts we label it as a sign of possible mental trouble. I know it's only darts but couldn't it just be that they're so disappointed with themselves that it causes a tear or two to be shed?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

briany wrote: »
    He cried at the WC of Darts as well didn't he?

James Wade had a cry not too long ago as well.

In other games, when a player cries, we sort of admire it as a by-product of the passion for what they're doing but in darts we label it as a sign of possible mental trouble. I know it's only darts but couldn't it just be that they're so disappointed with themselves that it causes a tear or two to be shed?

:rolleyes:

I would tend to agree with you, but there was only one leg in it when he started crying.

Havermeyer wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with you, but there was only one leg in it when he started crying.

Yes but we don't know what was going through his mind. He might have felt his confidence going and was so gutted at having let a clear advantage that a few tears came out. Not something you often see and it could be that he needs to get his head together, or that he's a bit sensitive or that he's just a sulky **** but I wouldn't automatically presuppose one thing over the other is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Maybe he was upset chisnall ignored his tactics of slowing down every leg, nicholson is a strange character and i think he genuinely believes he is a top class darts player and should be winning these kind of events.

He is good but not great and mardle made a good point afterwards that nicholson is squeezing every last drop out of his game and is still falling short. HE should have put chizzy away last night and he knows it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

buster180 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Taylor may get knocked out by Kellett....

I hope you didn't have money on that! :)

RainMaker wrote: »
    I hope you didn't have money on that! :)

Nope. But didn't expect Kellett to be that bad, he was playing well in the floor tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Thornton having a mare on the doubles here...looks so unlikely to hit anything head down already.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Thornton 1 - (Ian) White 4. Thornton living a nightmare on doubles.

bull-25-bull like a boss

Quite the thumping for Thornton there

You could tell right from the off that Thornton wasn't mentally right, obviously his last few hammerings in this tournament was on his mind. Very disappointing.

Close game here between Newton and Caven. 7-7

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Some performance from Caven.

Caven really lifted his game there, quality darts at the end there to win 10-8.

• Advertisement

Not often you see Caven turn it on in front of the cameras.

Advertisement