Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway courts schedules of cases

Options
  • 09-07-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I was trying to find on the internet the courts schedule. I want to bring a friend to see a court case. Does not have to be a big case just a general one like Judge Judy.

Is the public allowed to any court case in Galway or only specific ones?

Do they publish the schedule online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

As far as I'm aware the public can attend any case that isn't family law or a special sitting of the supreme court to do with terrorism or something of that ilk.

Courts.ie has some info: http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/fd1b5d60ef39f31380256e43003d0107/49f74c64165b5cfd80256e450050b947?OpenDocument

Very hard to know when any specific case will be on though. Stuff gets delayed all over the place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

District Court matters are listed on the day, on a notice board just inside the door. First Tuesday of the month for Civil matters, Criminal on all Mondays and mosts Wednesdays.

Circuit Court lists can be found on courts.ie -> Legal Diary -> Provincial Diary. Then put in Galway as the venue and select the dates you want. As previously mentioned, Family Law hearings are in camera, everthing else is open to the public in Galway. Avoid a motions day if you're there for entertainment, they're incredibly dull and procedural for the most part.

The High Court sits in Galway about 3 times a year at present, for personal injuries matters. Next sitting isn't until October or November off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

thanks a million. Exactly what i was looking for. There is some civil cases on thursday that would be good to see. Just does not have the time the case is on at beside the case.

here is the link if any one else wants to look for a case
    http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/LookupPageLink/Provincial+Diary?OpenDocument&l=en

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

evoke wrote: »
    thanks a million. Exactly what i was looking for. There is some civil cases on thursday that would be good to see. Just does not have the time the case is on at beside the case.
    The list will start at half ten. If you're there for that time, you'll get a good idea of what order things will run in. Some cases may be adjourned, some struck out because they've been settled and some may get put back into the list for other reasons (unavailabilty, not enough time available if it's a weighty matter). Lunch is at the discretion of the judge but sticks to the general 1-2pm.

Also, in this weather, Court 4 upstairs will be an absolute furnace unless the air con is turned up to the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

thanks. you really know you courts inside out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sideshow Bob has seen his fair share of courtrooms alright

Thanks, I think it's important that people spend some time around the courts if they ever get a chance to see how things work. It's quite important to learn that what's plead in court, what the judge decides and what gets spun and repackaged for the newspapers are often very different things.
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sideshow Bob has seen his fair share of courtrooms alright
    My tattoo is merely German for "The Bart, The" and no one who speaks German could be an evil man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

do ye know when the courts break for summer holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

i may be wrong but when the tricolour is flying the court is in session.

And the funny drunken related stuff is usually monday mornings in the courtroom on the left inside the door

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

flynnlives wrote: »
    i may be wrong but when the tricolour is flying the court is in session.

And the funny drunken related stuff is usually monday mornings in the courtroom on the left inside the door

ooooooooooook, duly noted but it doesn't really answer my question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

do ye know when the courts break for summer holidays?

My first thought was that they break in the same month that the criminals do.

This page would seem to imply that there is a reduced service in August:

http://courts.ie/offices.nsf/fd1b5d60ef39f31380256e43003d0107/49f74c64165b5cfd80256e450050b947?OpenDocument

No mention of other holidays, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

District Courts

Normal District Court sittings do not take place around the country in August, altho there is a sitting in the main town in each county on one day each week

Circuit Courts and High Courts

These do not normally sit during August and September ( The Long Vacation )
    There are sittings of the High COurt during this vacation in Dublin to deal with urgent matters.

County Registrar will arrange for a Circuit Court judge to sit during the LV if urgently required.

THe LV goes back to the time about 200 years ago when many judges and barristers had estates on which the harvest had to be saved.

While August is a quiet month in many businesses, the world does not stand still in September. It is likely that the Long Vacation willl be reduced to just August and September become a normal working month

Advertisement