Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate the Bray Summerfest funfair?

• 09-07-2013 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭

Hurray, the funfair has arrived again!

Cue a full month of the same 6 songs being played on repeat 10 hours a day; makes it really unpleasant to spend any time out in the garden for most of the summer.

:(

Anyone else already looking forward to the 6th of August?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have never been but living in Enniscorthy we have our own versions - the Strawberry Festival , Street Rhythms etc. To me, all these festivals are akin to the old Hi-de-Hi type holiday camps where you must be active/entertained 24/7. If they tided up Bray and put back some proper tourist infrastructure it would be far more worthwhile for all concerned but that requires money and innovation. Buy ear plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Can't walk along the prom now without the kids driving me crazy wanting to go on everything! It brings tourism though so cant argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

If they tided up Bray and put back some proper tourist infrastructure it would be far more worthwhile for all concerned

You are right. Investment in infrastructure and a concerted effort to imrove the appearance of the town qould help. I think the beach area has been destroyed. I think the powers that be in Bray have little interest in tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

foxy06 wrote: »
    Can't walk along the prom now without the kids driving me crazy wanting to go on everything! It brings tourism though so cant argue with that.

That is the question - does it?

Yesterday (before it arrived) the beach was just as crowded with families enjoying the sun as it was today.

Last year, when there was no sun the funfair was completely empty for 6 days of the week.

It seems to me that people come to the seaside when the weather is good, and not because there are some massively overpriced crappy funfair rides to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

B0jangles wrote: »
    It seems to me that people come to the seaside when the weather is good, and not because there are some massively overpriced crappy funfair rides to be had.

I agree. I was on the seafront today and the place was jammers. I had my 13 year old with me and he had no interest (he did have once) but at this stage I reckon people are tired looking at the same old funfair rides year in year out. Most were just enjoying the weather.

At 1.30 I had to park on Meath Road and it ain't often that happens on a Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I'mk not a fan either, it brings down the tone of the area, however it does bring in, well, i wont call them tourists, they arent paying Americans, but it brings in Dub's.

The beach was packed because of the weather, which we rarely get, the fair will being in crowds even in overcast conditions.

However, do the paying customers of the funfair generally spend in the area? Or do they contribute to anti-social behaviour and litter? I would probably say more of the latter unfortunately.

The funfair should be paying for more bins, a litter warden/litter cleaner-upper and more security/paid gardai to keep it all safer and cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'mk not a fan either, it brings down the tone of the area, however it does bring in, well, i wont call them tourists, they arent paying Americans, but it brings in Dub's.

'Dubs' bring down the tone of Bray?.

LOL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Ahh Yes and the Dutch Recording on the Rides "Please Please PPPPPPP Please Pay in the Car" & "Get You're Tokens for the Next Ride" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I think it's a bit tacky and apart from at weekends, when lots of people from the general area (including Dubs :)) visit anyway, it appears to be largely empty. It also makes a mess of the grass area, which then takes the rest of the year to either regrow itself or needs to be resown by the council, only for the whole cycle to start over again the next year.

I'd rather they spent some money reinstating all the victorian cast-iron seat backs, railings and other accessories, and on maintaining and signposting the cliff path and the routes up Bray Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The Fun Fair this year is smaller than last year by about 30% and it has more traditional rides than in previous years. Some of those rides were on the seafront 50 years ago. I was down the beach yesterday and it was a lot quieter than the previous Fun Fair (in terms of volume).

Here's an infographic explaining how the Fun Fair contribute to the Summerfest:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=670112229670060&set=a.239034072777880.81044.222471607767460&type=1&theater

People spend money when they come to a town on a day out... talk to any of the business owners down that direction same with the cafes and restaurants down the Albert Walk etc.

There are ticket deals on the Summerfest FB page as well...... fifteen quid for 10 rides for adults and a tenner for 10 rides for kids.

And while you might think that it's only "Dubs" down there, there are generally loads of foreign tourists and down there too.

As for Tourism in Bray well, think of what the town does offer: Summerfest, Jazz Fest, Bloomsday, St. Patricks Day Festival, Groove Festival, Gospel Rising Festival. Can you think of other towns of a similar size around the country that offer as many festivals, plus an aquarium, great seafront restaurants, pubs, cafes etc? Then there's Kilruddery, the promenade, the Cliff Walk, Bray Head.

BTW, the Family Fiesta is on this Saturday and Sunday with loads of free stuff for kids including Reuben, Glenroe Farm, Sealife Touch Pool, Puppet Shows, Story Tellers....

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    And while you might think that it's only "Dubs" down there, there are generally loads of foreign tourists and down there too.
    But wouldn't the foreign tourists be there anyway? I seriously doubt people travel to Bray from other countries just for the Summerfest.

Well maybe they could put the whole funfair down in front of the pubs and hotels who profit by it, instead of private homes who get nothing from it except roaring machines and looped music all day, then rowdy drunks at night?

Seriously - there is one machine which plays a sample of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VQQEoWlTg on a loop every 10 minutes or so; it's maddening.

Hey Alun, you'd be surprised at the number of hotel rooms booked during the festival are. I'll see if I can get some figures.

As for that Sample BoJangles, I can imagine that to be fairly head wrecking. Which ride is that?

Just found that photo of the rides on the seafront from the 1920s - some of the same rides are here again 90 years later.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=599344176762612&set=a.234502209913479.61595.234210346609332&type=1&theater

Hey Alun, you'd be surprised at the number of hotel rooms booked during the festival are. I'll see if I can get some figures.
    I'm not disputing that the number of hotel rooms booked increases in the summer months, I regularly see e.g. German coaches parked up outside the Esplanade Hotel, but I don't really believe there's a correlation between that and the Summerfest being on, more likely just a coincidence.

As for that Sample BoJangles, I can imagine that to be fairly head wrecking. Which ride is that?

I think it's the waltzer (weirdly called Superbob) but I'm not 100% sure - I'll walk around in a bit and double-check.

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that the number of hotel rooms booked increases in the summer months, I regularly see e.g. German coaches parked up outside the Esplanade Hotel, but I don't really believe there's a correlation between that and the Summerfest being on, more likely just a coincidence.

Have you ever asked the hotels?

Have you ever asked the hotels?
    No I haven't, have you? And if so, what was the question asked exactly? Did you ask them if they a) see a number of increased bookings when Summerfest is on or b) if they have actually asked their guests if the primary reason for their visit is Summerfest or are just assuming this is the case? German school holidays start later than ours

You can divide the tourists up in terms of those coming on tours like the German schools etc who'll be coming anyway and then a lot of UK, NI and Irish tourists coming to the town as they know that there will be something to do here.

I have spoken to the managers of some of the larger hotels and yeah, they attribute a lot of their summer bookings specifically to the festival. Have a chat to Pat from SeaLife who is on the Bray Tourism committee... he'll be able to fill you in with more details.

The topic is the Bray Summerfest FUNFAIR. I dont think anyone has a problem with the Summerfest itself, thats damn good and has great initiatives.

The Funfair (excluding the likes of the big wheel, carousel etc) appeals to a different type of person who tends to arrive with crates of beer, with no top on and ruins the place for everyone else. Its these boneheads who i dont believe are necessary to the economy of Bray. They dont dine in the restaurants, stay in the hotels or order buns in the cafe on Albert Walk.

Thats why i dont see the need for a big funfair, you could throw one or two of the older, more victorian era rides and leave it at that.

• Advertisement

I have spoken to the managers of some of the larger hotels and yeah, they attribute a lot of their summer bookings specifically to the festival. Have a chat to Pat from SeaLife who is on the Bray Tourism committee... he'll be able to fill you in with more details.

If that's true then I'm surprised, frankly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Alun wrote: »
    If that's true then I'm surprised, frankly.

When a tourist is planning their holiday itinerary they are bound to look at what's on in different places. If they see that a festival is on, whether they know anything about it or not, they are more likely to go to that place at that time. Based on that I would be quite confident that the Summerfest does attract more Tourists

If you look at the infographic you can see how much the funfair contributes to the festival to be able to pay for entertainment, music etc.

The funfair that used to be in Bray is now in DL so maybe they;ll stop off there instead of coming out here but I've grown up close to the seafront enough to know that if the sun is out, the boneheads will be out....

Just checked and the "Everybody Dance Now" clip is used on the waltzer, but to be prefectly honest, the whole thing is deafening.

I just recorded two short videos

This is from just across from the fair:

http://youtu.be/krE_4mMOP5Y

And this is what my kitchen sounds like if the window is open:

http://youtu.be/rQjETcEtMjU

Bear in mind this was filmed at 2 pm on a wednesday, so it's not like it's a Bank Holiday Weekend or anything.

This will go on 'til around 8 o'clock tonight and every single day thereafter for the next month.

Sorry for your trouble BoJangles. I'm very close to the beach, but just the other side of the railway which stops the noise travelling over to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Isn't a pity that they couldn't have made a better fist of keeping the likes of Dawson's Amusements going instead of this mess? Looks awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Very jealous of your view Bojangles.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Very jealous of your view Bojangles.

Oh pish...

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

When a tourist is planning their holiday itinerary they are bound to look at what's on in different places. If they see that a festival is on, whether they know anything about it or not, they are more likely to go to that place at that time. Based on that I would be quite confident that the Summerfest does attract more Tourists

Everyone to their own. I would avoid Bray during the Summerfest like the plague. I would be surprised if any foreign visitors would appreciate this event. The funfair just adds another deterrent for me.

• Advertisement

For anyone still interested, it's 10:05 and it's still going strong:

http://youtu.be/L_N3Zj3vMoo

Edit: hurrah! It's finally shut-up after nearly 9 bloody hours!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement