Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate the Bray Summerfest funfair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Killian allen

Was at the funfair Wicklow last night was great but bray is fantastic pity no music I. The rides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Plenty of screaming though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Was at the funfair Wicklow last night was great but bray is fantastic pity no music I. The rides

Easy to say that if you don't have to live beside it for a full month.

Also, I don't know what part of the funfair you were in but there's still a hell of a lot of loud music playing all day in the Bray one :(.

I wet down agane tonight the music is down to the lowest it is great look at the fun all the kids are havering it is a different company running t this year it seem alot better than normal

• Registered Users Posts: 11 2 weeks is enough

I wet down agane tonight the music is down to the lowest it is great look at the fun all the kids are havering it is a different company running t this year it seem alot better than normal

Apart from the noise pollution with each ride playing a different tune, the green area being wrecked, the generators burning diesel and the destruction of the carbon footprint it's good someone is having a good time because it isn't the seafront residents. How much did you spend on those two nights? Or are you one of the volunteers who get free tickets and a hi viz jacket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Brought the kids down and 4 euro for a bumper car and 3 euro for a slide. Total rip off. Not impressed with the ridiculous prices

Fairground have been on bray sea front back as far a the 70s it is Grest for kids that bull the music is down to a minim unlike other years the fairground is run verry well ha alot of security as for the skunk bags there is none there Securitey don't let them in there in bray all year around I think u far for you people to give out about something that bring such joy to kids it look fantastic like Blackpool. Pitty it does not stay full time

Pity parents with young children have to stay away from seafront because they can't afford the funfair. Pity they can't enjoy the natural amenity that is free and fantastic, especially in the good weather,pity they weren't made aware that the funfair burns 20,000 in diesel ( and this info came from George Bird ) and that we all will pay for it with our health. People are more intelligent and aware nowadays. Noise and air pollution doesn't cut it. Do you know that noise actually affects the reading ability in young children? Excess noise damages hearing. Excess noise and the stress caused by it can elevate blood pressure and cause heart attacks. Now put that outside your window for your summer and see if you think it's fabulous for your young children.

If you are talking about the Wicklow one I can tell you it is the same company Moore's running it this year as every year. That damn zigzag is the same one I rode on as a small child. The only thing missing is that dangerous big wheel. The bumper cars are the same one they have had for beyond years too. Yes they brought some new rides down (bout bloody time) but that's about it.

I will agree their music level is not as bad as previous years, but I can still here it clearly in my home. And yesterday some bugger running one of the rides was screaming his head off about various things through some megaphone. Delightful!

Fairground have been on bray sea front back as far a the 70s it is Grest for kids that bull the music is down to a minim unlike other years the fairground is run verry well ha alot of security as for the skunk bags there is none there Securitey don't let them in there in bray all year around I think u far for you people to give out about something that bring such joy to kids it look fantastic like Blackpool. Pitty it does not stay full time

1. I'm very well aware that the funfair has been a fixture on Bray seafront for many years; my grandparents ran a hotel there from the 1940's to the 1970's and could tell stories about the fun times they had dealing with hotel guests complaining every night about the noise from the fairground (back then they were allowed to keep playing music at full volume until 11 p.m.).

The craziest one was the time my poor grandma got so furious about the noise that she got the hotel fireaxe out and went over to the guy running the nearest machine and basically said either they got the noise down or there'd only be firewood there in the morning!

(bear in mind she was only about 5 feet tall, so the axe was probably nearly as big as she was :) )

2. You must be craaaaazy keen on funfairs if you think having that thing there permanently would be a good thing; personally I'm counting the hours left til it goes.

• Advertisement

A fair permanently gah god help ye if that ever got off the ground.

Alun wrote: »
    But wouldn't the foreign tourists be there anyway? I seriously doubt people travel to Bray from other countries just for the Summerfest.

It is not birds funfair it is bells and it does not use anything like that in fuil the has doesn't use that that is stupid it is fantastic smell of candy is and sound of kids screaming and te music fantastic should stay all summer would be great

It is not birds funfair it is bells and it does not use anything like that in fuil the has doesn't use that that is stupid it is fantastic smell of candy is and sound of kids screaming and te music fantastic should stay all summer would be great

I have to ask - are you the same Killian Allen who operates and rents out funfair equipment as Freestyle Amusements?

We know its not Bird's this year and that Bell's have taken over. We have no stats for the diesel used this year and I'd say you haven't either. I refer you to George Bird's letter on summerfest file in Bray Town Council where he says''we estimate we contribute directly and indirectly in excess of 80,000 euro to the local economy in little over a month..and in excess of 40,000 by way of direct payment. He saud 'we have operated in Bray for the past 10 years and we also purchase 20,000 euro of diesel annually.. Do your sums 200,000 over ten years in real money is a lot of bread, a lot of diesel and an unacceptable level of noise and air pollution in the community. A lot of days and nights when our homes are uninhabitable.Mr Bird backed up his figures by saying he is tax and vat compliant ,that he paid for parking, advertising for air show and Summerfest, provision of extra Gardai and even supplied flowers. The smell of candy floss doesn't wipe out the serious damage the noise and air pollution is doing to our community. QED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

snob moan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

it is fantastic smell of candy is and sound of kids screaming and te music fantastic should stay all summer would be great

Hows business Killian? http://www.donedeal.ie/businessopportunities-for-sale/candyfloss-trailer/5144543

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fleury

No, not a snob moan. It is a comment from an informed person who knows the problems caused by noise and air pollution.

Killian could you ask them to put the funfair outside YOUR home next year. You would love it even more then, the music the screaming , the roaring generators,your windows closed all Summer while you swelter in the heat, your nerves shattered throughout the long hot Summer days & nights! They may give you free tickets for the rides and a big candy floss to thank you for sacrificing your Summer. Or maybe they would not because you love it all so much!

Killian, what makes you think anyone wants Bray's Seafront to look like Blackpool? Ugh! It is an area of great natural beauty that is now spoilt by an ugly environmentally unfriendly funfair.

fleury wrote: »
    Killian could you ask them to put the funfair outside YOUR home next year. You would love it even more then, the music the screaming , the roaring generators,your windows closed all Summer while you swelter in the heat, your nerves shattered throughout the long hot Summer days & nights! They may give you free tickets for the rides and a big candy floss to thank you for sacrificing your Summer. Or maybe they would not because you love it all!

He can't hear you Fleury, the music is too loud or he is too busy selling candy floss to screamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Killian, what makes you think anyone wants Bray's Seafront to look like Blackpool? Ugh! It is an area of great natural beauty that is now spoilt by an ugly environmentally unfriendly funfair.

Bray is a shíte hole, full of scum all year round, not people coming from different places outside of bray, most of them are from bray. The funfair doesn't attract them, they are already there full time.

I'd have to say i'd hate to have that outside my house for a month, but to all the people who say you can't go down because of noise and your kids wanting to go on rides and all the other moaning. Maybe try have some fun in your life, your kids might like it.

Air pollution?? My Health?? Cop on ffs. You breath that crap on a daily basis funfair or not.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Bray is a shíte hole, full of scum all year round, not people coming from different places outside of bray, most of them are from bray. The funfair doesn't attract them, they are already there full time.

Well thank you for your candid opinion of Bray.

:rolleyes:

sallymomo wrote: »
    5) The committee and volunteers of the Bray summerfest give up their time and efforts for free and should be applauded for doing so.

Sally we hear this mantra day in day out.Why should we applaud people who are ruining Bray, causing havoc and distress in the lives and homes iof residents???? What arrogance to think that by ruining our lives they are helping Bray and the community. The residents are the community, there are 8000 living in the immediate area of the seafront, who can't open their windows . Who can't enjoy their gardens. Whose peace of mind is destroyed by the anti social behaviour that follows these events organised in their free time by the smug volunteers. Would they like to be woken in the early hours by yahoos screaming and shouting as they make their drunken way home, having been blasted out of it by screaming and thumpin music all day.Have you found any bottles or condoms or vomit at your gate. Have you looked out to see fellas urinating in your plants, girls squatting between cars, or defecating behind your parked car??? We have, and the self congratulatory committee ignore us and reward themselves with a drinks party from the non profit making Summerfest. It's time to face facts.

No, not a snob moan. It is a comment from an informed person who knows the problems caused by noise and air pollution.

Get a life.

It is creating a fun fueled time for some children while they are off school.

It will be winter soon and there wont be a soul in Bray.

Dont be so stuck up and mean!

alphamule wrote: »
    Get a life.

Our information from parents with yourng families is that they can't afford it, and have to avoid the beach for that reason.
    As for the winter , contrary to yout comment , there are lots of people on seafront enjoying the spectacular amenity walking and jogging and breathing fresh air with their children.The cycle lane will add to the exercise and good feeling. These people and the hundreds of day trippers, support all the local businesses. Coffees , breakfasts, lunches dinners and drinks. Check them out from the Dart coffee shop onwards, Henry and rose, the Albert Walk Pizza and Cream, the Hibernian , the Ocean, ODriscoll's,, the fabulous Italian Quater restaurants and wine bars,Finnbees coffee shop,, the Barracuda with its stunning views, Sealife, the Martello, porter house, jim doyles , the Strand, the Esplanade, the coffee dock , don't think I have left anyone out. These are all great places, to eat and drink and get the full support of Bray people all year round without any of the unnecessary noise. These are facts, name calling wont change them.

Get a life.

Our information from parents with yourng families is that they can't afford it, and have to avoid the beach for that reason.
    As for the winter , contrary to yout comment , there are lots of people on seafront enjoying the spectacular amenity walking and jogging and breathing fresh air with their children.The cycle lane will add to the exercise and good feeling. These people and the hundreds of day trippers, support all the local businesses. Coffees , breakfasts, lunches dinners and drinks. Check them out from the Dart coffee shop onwards, Henry and rose, the Albert Walk Pizza and Cream, the Hibernian , the Ocean, ODriscoll's,, the fabulous Italian Quater restaurants and wine bars,Finnbees coffee shop,, the Barracuda with its stunning views, Sealife, the Martello, porter house, jim doyles , the Strand, the Esplanade, the coffee dock , don't think I have left anyone out. These are all great places, to eat and drink and get the full support of Bray people all year round without any of the unnecessary noise. These are facts, name calling wont change them.

Apologies if I hurt your feelings. I didn't realise boards were such a sensitive bunch.
    To be honest I don't visit bray, the place has never changed. I just find it disappointing that you complain about the summerfest and blame it on the dubs. You chose to live beside the sea. In summer people like to go there!

You have an estate out there beside Bray that is as bad as anything in Dublin.

Get a life.

You mean I wasted the grand speech on someone who doesn't come to Bray.!! Apology accepted Alphamule we don't condone name calling about Dubs or anyone else. You should come to Bray ,its a great place,an amazing Victorian seafront and Bray head. And as I said restaurants to die for. And many of us are from Dublin's Fair City.

You mean I wasted the grand speech on someone who doesn't come to Bray.!! Apology accepted Alphamule we don't condone name calling about Dubs or anyone else. You should come to Bray ,its a great place,an amazing Victorian seafront and Bray head. And as I said restaurants to die for. And many of us are from Dublin's Fair City.

I was out there not too long ago. I just don't like. The restaurants are pretty average and the place is abit tired.

Rather Howth.

Sure Bray is basically in Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Stupid comment.

Go to the DART station and watch for just a few minutes in the height of summer and you will see them exiting the station with tops off and slabs of drink on their shoulders.

Bray, has some scumbags, like most areas, maybe even more than its fair share, but believe me, most of the trouble makers, like you have at Donabate/Malahide on a nice day, are not from the area.

• Advertisement

Well, that's that for another year - I'm so glad it's finally over :)

BTW weren't the fireworks on Monday lovely? Thank goodness the rain stopped when it did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement