Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrating Dude to the cat room!

• 09-07-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, for anyone who doesn't know, Dude is a 5 month old kitten who I brought into my house recently to my 2 adult cats. Himself and the other male Cream get on great, even though Dude drives him mad with play fighting, and while Peach doesn't love him they can now lie beside each other and stay in the same room. Dude respects Peach, if she gives him 'the look' he instantly flops to his side and shows her his belly like he's saying 'Im cool, I wont touch you!'. She used to hiss and slap at him a lot, now she just sighs when he's around and there hasn't been any slaps in a long time.

Now usually Peach and Cream have the utility room which is all set up for cats, beds litter food toys etc. And Dude is in his crate upstairs with all his gear. But over the last few days when there has been such fantastic weather it is extremely hot upstairs (converted attic). I have been leaving the windows open but locked, but it's still very hot up there. I was thinking for the moment of moving him down into the cat room with the big cats but I am afraid really that Peach might decide to eat him! Would anyone have advice on integrating them so they can stay over night in the same room? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think Peach and Cream would probably prefer not to *have* to share sleeping space with Dude. I think it's better to give them that choice rather than impose him on them during their "down time." In multi-cat households peace usually reigns where all the cats have private spots of their own they can retreat to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yeah I agree with that, I would prefer not to have them all together but my parents think otherwise I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I integrated two kittens into a house of 4 Tom cats, by moving their crate into the living area, and letting them sleep there separate from the big cats. Then the big cats decided they wanted to sleep in the crate when the kittens were out playing.
    Eventually it was a case of 3 of the big older cats sleeping together with the Tom kitten. The female kitten is a very independent cat, she likes the other cats but prefers her own armchair, no sharing!
    Hopefully your Dude and Peaches&Cream will soon be best buddies. I think the girls will accept him in their space eventually!

Advertisement