Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father's Access Rights

• 09-07-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I can't remember if I read this correctly or I'm confused but does a father have a legal right to two consecutive full weeks in the summer at his choosing or is it two weeks and the mom can split them if she wants.

We have requested two, mom said we can have 1 & she decides the other (later in the summer)

We are sure that its when she holidays.... to us that is extra as its her thing it should be a third on top of the two we get.

Guidance aappreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Do you have a court order for access, and if so, what does that say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MySurrealLife

Do you have a court order for access, and if so, what does that say?

There are no provisions for anything outside of daily access.

S.11 of the Guardianship of Infants Act 1964 has had several amendments but it only refers to access rights in general terms, leaving the specifics to the courts.

You say that the existing access order only deals with daily access.

If you can't agree matters with the mother, you could consider asking a solicitor about a court application to vary access, and if you can't afford a solicitor, there is the Legal Aid Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I can understand your frustration OP, but as The Mustard has said there is no automatic contact rule for join guardians (I presume you are, legally, joint guardian?)

You are somebody who seeks to be very involved in your child's upbringing, courts are usually very receptive to these types of parents; two consecutive weeks doesn't sound unreasonable. If the other (custodial) guardian is unreasonable about that prospect, I would consider revisiting the matter if I were you.

I can understand your frustration OP, but as The Mustard has said there is no automatic contact rule for join guardians

You are correct, of course.

What I had been trying to say, albeit not very clearly, was that the Act (as amended) does not set out the amount of access which should be ordered, and that it would be up to the court, if the parties could not agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What's the story if the ex and child up sticks and move away, (dublin to galway)??? It already halved my access to fortnightly, and I have a feeling she'll be playing the too far card soon enough, will a judge look favourably on her?

Advertisement