Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 ferrets dead in a week

• 09-07-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

I posted up during the week about my Jill ferret dying and her babies shortly followed
    Now the father has died today. Two hour ago he was fine playing with the other one and I went out and he was dead.
    Before anyone asks they had plenty if water and food and clean environment
    I always ensure that.
    I reckon they may have had a disease of some sort. Now I have one left who looks extremely healthy and is running about here in the house.
    I am wondering when my first ferret died should tests not have been done to see if there was any sign of disease?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

At this stage, I think you need to get tests done. What a terrible week for you. You need to know what happened, in case it's something that's endangering the lad you've left, and indeed any more that you get in future.
    Hope the remaining fella will be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

UCD also provide free post mortems if you submit via your local vet. Results can take a good few weeks to come back though but it might give you some kind of an answer if you don't have a lot of money to spend on random tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Had they been vaccinated for Canine Distemper?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

UCD provide free post mortums so I would send some of them in.....do they come into contact with dogs?ferrets are fairly sensitive to distemper

I have heard of this happening a few times, are they kept outside by any chance? I know one guy who lost 26. He just burnt everything after that to get rid of what it could have been.

Get tests done if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Aru wrote: »
    UCD provide free post mortums so I would send some of them in.....do they come into contact with dogs?ferrets are fairly sensitive to distemper

They are out the back and yes I've a dog there but I have had a ferret that die from distemper and I know what signs to look for.
    My ferrets showed none of these signs.
    Which Is why I'm puzzled.
    My Jill who died was very sick for two days before dying. As I posted before my hob was perfectly fine and playfull earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

If he showed no signs maybe is just an unfortunate coincidence that he died so soon after the female. I could have been anything when it happened so sudden,choking,heart attack,aneurysm,bee sting etc.

Advertisement