Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Active board/smart board use

• 09-07-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick, non-scientific survey on how many schools actually have smartboards/activeboards.

I'm doing a lot of reading on technology in education and curious to know how prevalent they are in Ireland.

Do you have a smatboard/active board in your classroom? 17 votes

YES - Primary
    0% 0 votes
    YES - Secondary
    35% 6 votes
    No
    64% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

In most classrooms I've subbed in yes. But you'd get the odd few that dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

All my schools I've subbed in. Use of them varies wildly. Current school one teacher who uses smart board for all lessons and me using iPad/apple TV to make it a smart board. There are several others but none being utilised on our scale that I know of.

Sorry should have said all classrooms have data projectors and these are widely used by all teachers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mostly we just have whiteboards and projectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

All our maths rooms have smart boards, other classrooms have projector. I feel I use my smart board as a projector over 90% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

What's a smart board??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Overrated I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Moody_mona wrote: »
    All our maths rooms have smart boards, other classrooms have projector. I feel I use my smart board as a projector over 90% of the time.
    I'm the same to be honest. Handy for being able to pick up where I left off or go back to anything I've already covered easily though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Mostly whiteboards and overhead projectors but we also have the software of a smart board and a pen to make them interactive. Only have two of the fancy ones.

Ok so I'll change my answer to mostly ordinary whiteboards and data projectors (here's me thinking that was a smart board). :)

I didn't vote coz I wasn't sure if you count projector/apple TV/ipad as a smartboard

• Advertisement

What's Apple TV like ?

What's Apple TV like ?

I love it but that's coz I'm into the iOS platform. I have an ipad and mac so Apple TV is a very easy addition to make both work through the projector at a simple swipe. No cables!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We have smart boards in practically every room in our school...I dont know anyone who uses them as more than a white board...I think they are a total waste of money !!! School should have bought ordinary white boards and invested the money in other more useful IT resources (imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

solerina wrote: »
    We have smart boards in practically every room in our school...I dont know anyone who uses them as more than a white board...I think they are a total waste of money !!! School should have bought ordinary white boards and invested the money in other more useful IT resources (imo).
    In fairness, I know we got some sort of grant specifically for IWBs so your school might not have had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

The grants weren't specifically for IWBs. At second level anyhow. Schools had to first purchase PCs and projectors for every classroom. If they had money left over they could go for interactivity but they had to target the maths classrooms first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Pwpane wrote: »
    What's a smart board??

Same thing, really, at least for the purposes of my inquiry.
    I didn't vote coz I wasn't sure if you count projector/apple TV/ipad as a smartboard

Not really, I'm just looking to get an idea of the actual devices.

The reason I ask is that I am taking a module on technology in education and the overwhelming message appears to be that there is no evidence to suggest that technology makes a difference in education. Most of the literature I am looking at is of course related to the UK, so the purpose of this was to get a (admittedly unscientific) idea on how things were in Ireland.

One particular piece of research looks specifically at whiteboards and comes to the same conclusion. As a side note, the guy who undertook the research is now being shunned by the UK Dept. of Education and is no longer receiving and research grants. :)

Well I know that my parents and students love the approach in maths. All my lessons are uploaded to edmodo and they talk to me/each other online about the work. None of them forgot SOHCAHTOA after watching a video "song" about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

All rooms have data projectors and there are two smartboards in the school. Use powerpoint, notes on word and I upload photos of handwritten notes/diagrams from the board to Dropbox to reuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'smart board'.

We have data projectors shining on ordinary white boards. We have no IWBs that I know of. As teachers don't have their own rooms it can be very awkward to use the projectors with setting up etc so a lot of us don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Pwpane wrote: »
    I'm still not sure what you mean by 'smart board'.

We have data projectors shining on ordinary white boards. We have no IWBs that I know of. As teachers don't have their own rooms it can be very awkward to use the projectors with setting up etc so a lot of us don't bother.
    smart boards are interactive..kind of touchscreen which can do various things...(if you can figure out how to use some of them !!)..look up cleverboard...its one make I know of

• Advertisement
Advertisement