Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel - the time has come

Options
  • 09-07-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hey guys the time has come for me to learn excel.

I'm going to need to learn how to do statistical analysis, formulas, pivot tables etc. They usual I guess but I don't know too much about it.

Can you direct me towards of a "fun" video or tutorials that could possibly link a personal project with the learning, or at least a data set + examples that would give me a kind of a case study to gain insight into a business.

I understand that Excel is a pretty powerful tool that can do some cool stuff but I need to get over the initial dread :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

parc wrote: »
    Hey guys the time has come for me to learn excel.

I'm going to need to learn how to do statistical analysis, formulas, pivot tables etc. They usual I guess but I don't know too much about it.

Can you direct me towards of a "fun" video or tutorials that could possibly link a personal project with the learning, or at least a data set + examples that would give me a kind of a case study to gain insight into a business.

I understand that Excel is a pretty powerful tool that can do some cool stuff but I need to get over the initial dread :P

I just typed excel into youtube and loads of tutorials came up. Probably as good as anything else out there, and free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Yep, loads on YouTube. I think ExcelisFun is a decent channel, but there's loads.

Also check out chandoo.com, Contextures etc, there are loads of good blogs. Google John Walkenbach, buy Excel for Dummies.

What level are you at and what are looking to do with it?

How much do you know about statistics, why is that important?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It becomes even more powerful once you learn VBA, but then people often end up using it to do far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

hardCopy wrote: »
    It becomes even more powerful once you learn VBA, but then people often end up using it to do far too much.

Can you learn VBA without being skillful at excel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

There are so many online tutorials, pdfs, videos etc that you should be able to sharpen your skills very quickly.

(As a trainer in a previous life), I've seen situations where online training is not enough where you run into a problem and need a second pair of eyes to look at what you are doing and point out the mistake you are making. This is seen in programming, web development etc also where nothing beats having an "expert" to hop problems off.

Perhaps a blend of online learning and having a go-to guy/gal also.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Can you learn VBA without being skillful at excel.

I used to write scripts with hundreds of lines of code that were used daily but I wouldn't know where to start with a pivot table.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

AltAccount wrote: »
    Yep, loads on YouTube. I think ExcelisFun is a decent channel, but there's loads.

Also check out chandoo.com, Contextures etc, there are loads of good blogs. Google John Walkenbach, buy Excel for Dummies.

What level are you at and what are looking to do with it?

How much do you know about statistics, why is that important?

Just general analysis really, I'm at beginner level. That's some good info thanks

Advertisement