Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coping with the heat: MEGATHREAD!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What time are you walking the dog? In this weather, you should either take her out early in the morning (like 6-7am!), or much later in the evening when it's cooler. No way should you walk the dog between the hours of 11-4pm!

I saw a woman out JOGGING with her black labrador (tongue hanging out of his head) at 3pm the other day. I nearly crashed the car i couldnt believe what i was seeing. She'd gone down an alleyway before i had a chance to stop her. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh yes. Plenty of idiots out jogging with their dogs in this weather. I just saw another guy jogging with a Bichon in Blackpool. :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I just had to stop an idiot from throwing an overheated dog into the river to cool it down!

Poor dog was panting harder than I've ever seen and lying down refusing to get up, I managed to talk them into pouring water over his legs and chest with bottles and keeping him in the shade, fanning with a newspaper.
    Had to tell them not to let him drink too much to quick too, this dog had been out running around since 1pm, I saw him at 3.45, thankfully he was able to get up and walk around when I left, his panting had eased too.
    Shouldn't be surprised by these fools, owners were really badly burnt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

mymo wrote: »
    I just had to stop an idiot from throwing an overheated dog into the river to cool it down!

What's wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Poor dog was panting harder than I've ever seen and lying down refusing to get up
    , I managed to talk them into pouring water over his legs and chest with bottles and keeping him in the shade, fanning with a newspaper.
    Had to tell them not to let him drink too much to quick too, this dog had been out running around since 1pm, I saw him at 3.45, thankfully he was able to get up and walk around when I left, his panting had eased too.
    Shouldn't be surprised by these fools, owners were really badly burnt too.
    What's wrong with that?

Read the bolded part again. The dog was overheated. It probably had heatstroke. What do you suppose will happen if it's thrown in the river?

Take your time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Read the bolded part again. The dog was overheated. It probably had heatstroke. What do you suppose will happen if it's thrown in the river?

Take your time...

Now there's no need to be like that really is there? Maybe you've had a bad day or something....

Anyway, fair point if the dog was as affected as you say. I misinterpreted a bit, that's what I get for speed reading!

The dog was overheated and wouldn't or couldn't stand, the shock of a cold river, being forced to swim(it's a deep river, no shallow part for over 100m) when he could barely catch his breath?
    Not to mention he would of gone under when he hit the water, they were literally going to throw him from the 3ft bank, probably would of inhaled water, stress on his heart already from the heat....
    It would not have ended well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Take your time...

There is no need to take such a tone.
    There's a lot more to be gained by nicely answering questions people might have. What's obvious to you may not be to someone else.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

SpaceTime wrote: »

With regard to suncream, is human suncream safe on their ears?

My vet said that ordinary suncream is fine! Using it on my 2 for over a year and they are fine! :D They run when they see the bottle though too funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I froze some yoghurt in ice cube trays, just gave each dog a cube thinking they would enjoy licking it for a while and cool themselves down, both dogs just inhaled it, think it got 1 crunch then straight down their gobs, so much for a cooling treat, silly buggers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

First batch of sardine ice-lollies in the freezer.

The girls are looking really excited about them but they will definitely be eating them outside! :vom:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

The sun cream is working well for my dog but people keep petting her.
    I guess they won't pet the cream off her but will bring it with me to top her up if out for any length of time just in case.

Sardine ice-lollies are a hit!

I could have done without the thank you licks afterwards though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

My poor old dog is 14 and isn't coping with the heat very well. Constantly topping up her water dish and putting ice cubes in it for her. She stays in her kennel most of the time or lies along the passage way beside the house to stay in the shade. Vet also recommended that instead of being groomed, she should be shaved/shorn. Collie/sheltie type dog so her hair is very long.

I wouldn't shave her, it would expose skin to the sun and make it more likely to burn, also it can be slow to grow back and you don't want her being cold when the weather changes.
    Get her coat thinned and tidied up, a good groomer will know what to do, just trim it and it will make a difference.
    Have you tried the ice lolly ideas? it really does cool them down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

She might also be better off coming into the house into a shady room, preferably with a fan on to keep the air moving. It's a lot cooler inside than it is in shady outdoor spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I left my retriever & my mothers sheltie in to get a bit of a trim yesterday. Said i didnt mind how they look as long as they are cool.My retriever now looks like a labrador & the sheltie looks like a really funny looking terrier. My brother who sees them both almost every day,didnt recognise either of them! they still have a short coat so wont get sunburnt.
    Anyway,they are both a lot happier & hopefully it will be grown back by winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks to the first person who mentioned the ice lolly treats - keeping my two cool and they love them - my 14 yr old is staying in the house mainly and only venturing into the evening coolness outside - after losing his sibling last week he seems a little down in himself but I think he just hates being too hot - funnily his sister loved the sun and she used to stretch out in the warmest spot in the garden, when she was well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

SingItOut wrote: »
    Aside from topping up their water bowls you should put some ice cubes into the water to keep it chilled for longer, also ceramic bowls don't over heat as easily as steel ones.

There is a fantastic product called rock sulfur which you put into your dogs water and it helps them cool down quicker. Maxi Zoo stores stock it, it's relatively inexpensive

I've just gone out & bought some of that Rock Sulphur in Maxi Zoo - I hope it works as my little one is suffering badly. She has been a bit sick & a bit of diarrhoea too so trying to keep her hydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Was so mad this afternoon seeing a little cavalier in a car with a window barely cracked open. I know today hasn't been as hot as previous days but still no excuse. My mother had to stop me breaking the car window, but I did leave a lovely note for the owner.

• Advertisement

Hey guys I got this infusion jug in Home Store & More this evening for €4.99. I'm going to use it for the rock sulphur to infuse into my dogs water & keep it in the fridge! I'm afraid if I put it into her bowl she won't drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I wouldn't shave her, it would expose skin to the sun and make it more likely to burn, also it can be slow to grow back and you don't want her being cold when the weather changes.
    Get her coat thinned and tidied up, a good groomer will know what to do, just trim it and it will make a difference.
    Have you tried the ice lolly ideas? it really does cool them down.

My brother did give her hair a good trim the other day (god awful looking now but at least it might make her more comfortable!) Haven't tried the ice lolly idea but will definitely try it, thanks! :)

DBB wrote: »
    She might also be better off coming into the house into a shady room, preferably with a fan on to keep the air moving. It's a lot cooler inside than it is in shady outdoor spots.

Yeah, she has been staying inside more often now and lying on tile floors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My Dog won't eat, or eats & throws up later, & then devours her food late pm.

So I've bought her her favourite flavour baby foods ( yes, I know) & am just making frozen baby-food coolpops for her with some resealable rolled up freezer bags, added water, and clothes pegs. The things I do for that dog...

My Dog won't eat, or eats & throws up later, & them devours her food late pm.

So I've bought her her favourite flavour baby foods ( yes, I know) & am just making frozen baby-food coolpops for her with some resealable rolled up freezer bags, added water, elastic bands & masking tape. The things I do for that dog...

That's a good idea I might try that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My dog doesn't seem to be drinking more water at all.

Apart from after exercise.

I am like an Eejit out looking to refill her two water bowls. They never seem to be empty.

Maybe she has thought herself how to turn on and off the outside Tap.

She has a nice shaded area during the day and there is a nice breeze as we live on the coast. But it's still warm? She doesn't seem dehydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mine won't drink
    Much at all anymore now.
    So I mixed the ( disgusting alert!) grease & run offs from the George foreman grill into her water bowl and my God you never saw a half dead dog jump & gallop
    As quickly to devour it all down . Hydration fixed! Heart attack pending!!!!! ( once a year treat thou!)

Mine drank too much!

She had a little accident in the house on Friday night so there I was having a panic attack about incontinence as she literally leaked and she is 8.

Anyway, brought her outside to pee, came back in, nothing else for the rest of the evening. Googled urinary incontinence for about 2 hours. Mentioned it to my mother who then had a eureka moment.

Ma had been making the dogs cool drinks in the afternoon - water, goats milk and ice cubes. Polly, the little glutton, finished hers and then went over and drank the greyhounds, as she wasn't bothered enough to get out of bed for it.

She must have been bursting and not realised. The little pig :o

Advertisement