Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warrior of The sea 2013

• 09-07-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

hi, not affiliated with this race just posting seeing as it is close. did anyone make the briefing? Think it was asked in another thread, wondering if anyone picked up anything useful?
    Start list is live now, a lot more doing skins this year, should be piss easy if this weather keeps up! (though i suppose theres a lot more doing it full stop!)

Start list : http://racesplitter.com/races/2BCBC919A/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Howdy,

I'm entered in the skin group and after three 5k's over the last three evenings here in Galway in what are swimming pool like conditions I would agree, if the weather stays good it will be piss easy :D

However, the ever increasing grey hair count on my head, and shockingly in my stubble, tells me;
    • Racing is never piss easy :)
    • Water temps in Sligo always colder than Galway.
    • Chances of weather staying good - slim.

I'm 50/50 on heading up due to a possible clash on the saturday, will make a decision on it next week but will be stoked if it comes together.

OB.

Nice,

Forecast looking decent. Organisers sent a detailed pdf out last week on race. Looking forward to this now, just need the kids to get over the latest 50 euro virus and I'll have the green light to head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

200 swimmers entered - is it a mass start or are there waves of swimmers?

Looks like the weather will be great at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Finelli wrote: »
    200 swimmers entered - is it a mass start or are there waves of swimmers?

Looks like the weather will be great at the weekend!

think its just a mass start from waist high water- spreads out pretty quick.
    Weather should be spectacular-will be a good crowd around for the finish I'd say. Lovely for skins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Best of luck lads, gutted I can't make it this year but have a wedding on. Surface wtare temp was 19 degrees over this weekend in Mullaghmore, will be colder in the channel I imagine but only for a short bit. Should be savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fionn_mac

ditto on the wedding, cant make it either (plus minor matter of not training). Its a good swim, mass start from waist height, a quick 1km to the first corner, you can scramble up and and over some rocks/sand bar thingy (theres water/feed station there too I think, you can swim around it too either) then back into to shallow water to start (can be as quick to do dolphin dive thingies to start again). can be choppyish for this sectionbut its normal OW. Its hard to see the next bouy so you sight off the mountains. get to that bouy (can't rem if there is a feed boat there too) and you are turning for home. Found this last section the toughest part of the race - the beach seems to never get any closer! you have to be wary of being pulled in towards land too early otherwise you are then swimming parallel to the shore to get to the last buoy fighting surf etc. you might also end up slightly off course and away from canoes etc so be aware of that too, especially for those who wouldn't be used to the distance. the last bouy is about couple of hundred metres straight out from the finish spot on the beach - some people didnt go around that bouy and went straight for glory, only to be sent back out to go around it, so try keep eye out for that:)

You get told at the race briefing that you are normally not allowed swim out from strandhill beach, but its ok to swim into it:)

Then head up to Shells for a well earned treat and a creamy pint in the Strand:) Enjoy!

Yeah found the last section the hardest as well who would have thought haha. Hadnt trained enough as I was sick a few weeks before then took water off the boat at blue rock and lost the porridge breakfast 5 mins later ment I wasn't feeling good but I am sure the fish were delighted. That and one kayacker telling me to turn round that I was heading for america were the highlights. Actually the highlight was across the channel thought it very easy and was feeling great for the next section.

Kudos to the organisers on a well run and enjoyable event.

The day was definitely a one in a million, light offshore, hot and the water was toasty, just super comfortable. Racing was more competitive then I was expecting, it always feckin is, as I ended up for most of the race in a large group of fellow white hats (or skins racing) who were chasing the front group, a mix of three skins and fast wetsuit swimmers.

I lost touch with the group with about a km to go by making the decision to go a shorter line to the last buoy (will know for next time - some prior knowledge of the course is always handy), hard to know where to come in on the beach due to a slight chop and the small surf so I ended up 10th home in skins category.

Great supportive crowd on the beach and legend to just hang out and watch everyone come in. What a day :cool:

Galway Bay crossing awaits for me this Saturday, hoping that the weather holds....

well done savage result good luck in Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Are the times up for the race yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yes they are available here http://racesplitter.com/races/2BCBC919A
    knowing ireland, it could have been once in a lifetime conditions :-)
    flat calm mostly and serious heat. well done to organisers on yet another great event

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Great event,great buzz on the beach after,chopped a good chunk off last years time so happy out. Lost some ground beelining for the second marker buoy once I saw it instead of staying on the ox mountain line and also went off course after rounding final buoy along with a few others. Water was unreal

Advertisement