Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

We're going to hold on until the birth to find out. I just feel it'll be more exciting that way!

Speaking of holidays, what do you guys think of flying while pregnant? I was all set to stay grounded since my Mam had 2 miscarriages which she links to having been on flights, but now I'm thinking it would be lovely to get away for a warmish break when I'm about 5 months.

They call them babymoons, don't they? It'll be the last chance we get for a while, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭moominn

I went on hols at 10wks with no problems; at 5mths Id imagine you`ll be fine, just get up for a walk now and again;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I flew plenty on pregnancy no 1. 6 flights I think. All shorthaul. Pregnancy was fine. The only thing I'd say is go somewhere not too hot. Heat is very uncomfortable as you get bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Had scan today, all went well. Baby was wringing like mad and sucking thumb aswell :-).

I flew twice before when I was pregnant. Flew to New York amd Florida when I was 12/13 weeks. And flew to London when I was 6/7 months. Was grand both times. I think they say you shouldn't fly after 36 weeks (I think it's 36 weeks anyway...).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MamaK

Had scan today too! Doc had a good poke around (ouch!) to get baby to turn around so we could see the little face. Loved seeing all the fingers and the mad squirming around! Although I can't blame the baby for squirming - I was too with a full bladder! A bit taken aback to find I have put on two kilos in two weeks....will have to stop eating so much ;(

• Advertisement

Ah MamaK & Sligo1, lucky yous with the scans too. I'm living for mine. Hopefully get a call with a time and date next week!

Hmmmm, good to know about the flying. Thanks ladies!! I was rethinking the heat thing alright. Ideally, with a non-pregnancy body, I'd love to go somewhere with a bit of autumn sun, but I know having got pregnant at the end of this summer's heatwave and even before I did the test, I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I couldn't sit out in it at all. The positive test answered that question!! lol

I'll have a think and see if I still fancy the break in a few weeks.

Didn't get much sleep last night. What a difference it makes to my mood. Feeling rightly sorry for myself today. Pals going out tonight, and I know I'll be bailing at 10ish cos I'm shattered and can't drink. Brother home tomorrow, same deal. Birthday party for niece on Sunday, on a farm. In the rain. Dreading it. And then back to another week of work.

Told a few people at work yesterday. Boss/client went mental. "Oh ffs, I'll have to get the rest of the dept on birth control, every second person is pregnant (no-one else is pregnant). how long exactly are you taking off, what about blah project." Felt like sayin, feck you, but remained polite and answered the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MamaK

Aw pwurple, that is a terrible reaction....so unfair....

When I told my boss at work, she was less than thrilled so I felt I needed to say "I understand this has an implication on budgets, but this is fantastic news for our family so we are delighted". Was cross about even being made feel like that....

Firstimemammy,when I went to Florida in my 12/13 week I was like a demon with the heat! Hate to say it but had to have been the worst holiday ever! I barely left the hotel room ad felt so sorry for hubby coz I was taking it all out on him. That could've been just coz I was still 1st trimester tho. Things settle down in the second trimester... But I really would say you may regret going anywhere too hot.

O my Pwurple, that must have been awful to get that reaction from your boss. I hope you're ok? I told my boss last week amd I was really worried about telling her. Especially because I've not actually been back to work yet. I'm due back in February and my due date in march... So was really worried! But she was so good about it and told me to take my time and if I didn't want to come back in feb that I could just take annual leave or early mat leave. She said she took a year off with each of her kids so I was very relieved.

Am so bored at home at the moment and finding it difficult to get out and do things with my LO. I know we should get out more but I can't think of what to do. Really should join a mother toddler group or something. Getting depressed sitting in the house all day doing nothing. But I'm my own worst enemy as I have no motivation. Really need to get out in the fresh air! Sorry... Rant over....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I told one of three bosses as she was coming up with plans in a meeting for me to do something that I can't do now that I am pregnant. She as great about it but admitted that another boss may not be so thrilled and told me the third can't say anything and to ignore him :)

• Advertisement

That's an unbelievable reaction Pwurple! And there I was thinking we lived in the 21st Century!!

My boss was great about it. He's well used to Maternity Leave requests now as most of his department is made up of woman, but luckily most pregnancies have turned out to be phased and everyone helps with each other's jobs when there's a gap in the department.

Aaaaaw, Sligo1, it does sound like you need to join a Mother/Toddler group? I'd imagine it could make a huge difference to your day and to your LOs.

Era, it's not unexpected to be honest. And I was grand about it yesterday. Just being a bit shattered today is making me grouchier about everything in general, so I'm less tolerant.

I'm no fan of the process of being pregnant in general. Baby bit is great, but if I could just blink and baby could appear I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

My manager was pretty good when I told her though she is very PC !!!!! Feeling wrecked today ! Scan next Friday can not wait !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Sligo1 I would crack up without my mammy groups :) great for me and great for C: definitely try to get to one if you can.

I'm so glad I didn't have the telling work I was pregnant thing this time :) pwurple I would have been so cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My god im so lucky. 1 boss congradulated me and gave me a hug. The other ssid congrats. No issues what so ever. But in fairness i had to tell them over the phone crying as i was being reffered to epu for possible ectopic so when i seen them face to face they were so nice.
    Last time with my daughter was the same nice reactions.
    I love going to the parent and toddler groups when im off.

I have decided to just tell the "mean" boss next week as I am getting seriously stressed about her reaction. Worst case scenario she will say we can't take my research to the next level and to stuck at the level I am and she will be mad. Best case she will be mad but agree to take it to the next level. She has very very unrealistic expectations about what people can actually do. Luckily the nice boss will be there too when I tell her.

Good morning! Anyone else feeling tiny flutters? I don't know if I'm imagining it!

pwurple wrote: »
    Good morning! Anyone else feeling tiny flutters? I don't know if I'm imagining it!

Not yet... But apparently you do feel them quite early if its your second! Ah such a nice feeling!

Not yet either: can't wait though!!!

You know you look awful when you walk into doc for a routine blood test and she decides to do a full set of bloods because you look so pale ;)

pwurple wrote: »

I got flutters a few times .. Nothing the last few weeks though !!

• Advertisement

Yea I have been a few times on and off. Normally this time of the evening when i'm sitting relaxing. Been thinking though that it could be my dinner or something as its so early.

Actually it's probably because you've mentioned it but I've definitely been getting a few flutters today. I didn't feel them until much much later last time so they're probably in my head ;)

polydactyl wrote: »
    I told one of three bosses as she was coming up with plans in a meeting for me to do something that I can't do now that I am pregnant. She as great about it but admitted that another boss may not be so thrilled and told me the third can't say anything and to ignore him :)

Told the second boss today. The one I was worried about and thank god she was great! She said it was great and when I said I was hoping that it would not affect my research with her and that she may not think it was the best time she said nonsense and that there is no good time in our field really to have a baby and that this is as good a time as any :)

Sooooo relieved

First scan tomorrow !!!! Excited and nervous all at the same time !!!

LH2013 wrote: »
    First scan tomorrow !!!! Excited and nervous all at the same time !!!

Best of luck. Its such a scary excting time.

Im 13 weeks snd still no sign of my first hospital appointment. Id be a nervous wreck if i hadnt had scans with epu and gp.
    I got my letter the other day saying my combined care was approved and to start taking folic acid etc etc. Eh a bit late for that now. Luckily i knew all these things already.
    Im finally starting to see my energy levels increase. And im sleeping better. Getting up only once a night if even rather than 2 or 3 times. Back ok if i just remember not to lift LO.
    It does be fine for a few days and i get in to the habbit if carrying her and then it hits me again. But she has been very good and not looking to be carried as much. Or lifted.
    Also my bump is as clear as day now. I was a size 10 pre pregnancy and now my bigger work trousers size 12 that i only bought a few weeks ago are getting tight. Time to route out the maternity stuff i had from first time.

Hiya Succee, did you phone the hospital and check when your scan is?

My appointment letters are coming AFTER the appointment. Some sort of admin backlog.

I'm starting to be able to sleep better as well. Not helped by being on-call. Phoned at 5am last night, the call woke my daughter as well, none of us back to sleep afterwards. And she has a hospital appointment today for more allergy tests (hopefully we get the all clear on nuts today!). Her dad is taking her up there for the day, but she is going to be like a bag of cats.

That's great news about the second boss, Polydactyl. That must be a weight off!

Best of luck with the scan today LH2013. I got my appointment through yesterday for Monday afternoon. Excited and nervous at the same time, but mainly I can't wait!!

Good to hear peeps are starting to feel better at the 13 weeks mark!! I'm a week behind yee, and looking forward to that myself. I don't mind the tiredness too much but am looking forward to shifting the constant nausea once I put anything at all in my belly!

Yep need new work trousers. Was in aldi after work doing the shopping and LO through her raggy on the ground and as i bent down to pick it up POP . Button popped off. Had to try finish my shopping pulling my trousers up every few seconds.

No i didnt bother ringing the hospital yet. The info i got out says that first appointment would be before 20 weeks. No deffinet time frame. Last time i was 14 weeks so thought id have heard something by now. But at least ive had scans already.

Scan went great ! Very big , very active baby !!! They dated me a week ahead so now I am 13 weeks !! Took 3 and a half hours !!

• Advertisement

That's fab LH2013!!

Suucee, I've only just been looking at maternity wear for the first time. I'm exclusively in larger work trousers that I had previously from carrying extra weight a few years back. I'd say I'll he okay in them for another month or so but was interested to see how maternity wear works - sizes & that.

New Look seem to have some lovely inexpensive stuff!

Advertisement