Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

cyning wrote: »
    Surgical spirits? What are they for?

If anyone's looking for them Homestore and more have the anti burst gym balls for €6.99. My new mantra is I am not being induced, I am not being induced! So come 37 weeks I will be bouncing bouncing bouncing and every old wives tale in the book :)

I got most of the stuff I need today need more maternity pads alright, witch hazel and another nightdress I dumped one last time. And nursing bras but too soon for them really I'm already up to a d cup.

Aldi also have them for €6.99. I posted it in the newborn and toddlers bargin thread yesterday. Would really recommend the balls! I paid somethjng ridiculous like €30 for mine last year!

I haven't even thought about my hospital bag yet! I'm so last minute it's unreal. Think I packed a week before I gave birth last year... And I went a week early. Still was rushing adding things to the bag after my waters broke at 3am! Lol.

Ps. As for the waters breaking... For the first timers here... If yours break spontaneously...Never mind the maternity pads... Use them after the birth. I had to stuff a bath towel down the front of my pants when mine went at home! Lol. There was that much fluid! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was in hospital when mine went I have those mat yokes bought this time! Was told I was massive twice today and a look of pure horror when I said I had 3 months left... I'm hoping I don't get much bigger lol!

I was in hospital when mine went I have those mat yokes bought this time! Was told I was massive twice today and a look of pure horror when I said I had 3 months left... I'm hoping I don't get much bigger lol!

Snap! I've been told I'm massive aswell! People don't believe me when I say I'm only 7 months.... How embarrassing,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Lol me too !! The look of horror on their faces when i say im 7 months !!! Some people are just rude ;) Luckily it seems to be all bump ... For now !!!

Ammm starting to freak out about waters breaking now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Surgical spirits for cleaning the cord.

I was lucky with no 1. I got a few pains in the middle if the night then had really bad diahrea and thats when waters went so no cleaning up. Had something to eat and went to hospital. Was kept in as waters gone but no contractions so was put on drip next day.

Every1 thinks im small at the mo. Ill probably baloon now aftr xmas.
    I just checked my chart from when i had my daughter. Ive another 6kg to be the weight i was giving birth.

My waters went at 3am when I was in bed. It was everywhere! Tmi!

We were told just to use cooled boiled water on the cord last year and were told not to use surgical spirits anymore? Maybe it's different in different hospitals?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My waters went at 3am when I was in bed. It was everywhere! Tmi!

We were told just to use cooled boiled water on the cord last year and were told not to use surgical spirits anymore? Maybe it's different in different hospitals?

Oh will have to check that. I had my daughter in 2012 and it was spirits we used then. In hospital thurs so will check.
    I used to hate cleaning it. And my daughters took weeks to fall off. It was so unusual as they said it normally falls off after a few days.

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh will have to check that. I had my daughter in 2012 and it was spirits we used then. In hospital thurs so will check.
    I used to hate cleaning it. And my daughters took weeks to fall off. It was so unusual as they said it normally falls off after a few days.

Yea let us know. I had my fella November 2012 and was told use water. My fellas one took AGES to come off aswell. Think I took like 3 or 4 weeks. And then it started to look a bit mucky underneath and I think I was getting baby blues so went over to my friends (shes a PHN) with baby and starting balling my eyes out and the cord fell off! Lol. God I was such a stress head about everything in those few weeks after having him. I'm not looking forward to that again! Maybe it was just coz he was my first tho....

Ya cooled boiled water in July 2012 too: one thing I've long realised is docs and phns differ everywhere though! I pretty much ignored it gave it a wipe every now and again it fell off in the first fortnight I think :) yuck so gross though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

Girls, thanks so much on the advice about PJs! That''ll make things a lot easier in more ways than one.

Jeese, now I'm worrying about waters breaking. I take it maternity pads are more for after than before?

Girls, thanks so much on the advice about PJs! That''ll make things a lot easier in more ways than one.

Jeese, now I'm worrying about waters breaking. I take it maternity pads are more for after than before?

Don't be worrying about your waters breaking. Tbh (but don't quote me on this) most first time moms I know, their waters never went spontaneously at home. The majority either had them artificially ruptured or they went naturally in hospital. It's a great thing if they go tho spontaneously if youre due. So its def not something to be worried about :). I was like woohoo... Baby is coming! Then stuffed the bathtowel down my pants! Lol.

The maternity pads are definitely needed for after the birth due the lochea. But do have a stash before as you might have a bit of mucous or a show etc and you may just feel more comfortable wearing one. I never did but I'm sure a lot of people do. And if your lucky enough not to be me and have the mess that I did when my waters broke a pad might well be sufficient :)

I hadnt given much thought first time to waters breaking. Read alot after about using mats on the bed (for toddlers night time accidents) . Thought they might be a good idea.

I have to say i didnt use many maternity pads. I just found them too big and uncomfortable.
    After my waters went i had a shower and got sorted and put one on. Then went to hospital. Used them for the next 24 hrs until baby was born. Used them the day after she was born then switched to allways night pads.
    To be fair though i didnt have heavy bleeding but i bled for weeks .
    1 thing i did find handy which was my sisters advice was disposable undies. Just for the first few hours after.

Yep disposable undies all the way! Lol

The only reason I have them is for the car! Bet I'll be using them for potty training C in a few months ;)

Personally I found the maternity pads much much more comfortable: the cushioning really helped with stitches. I went through quite a lot and switched to Always silk after a while. I needed them for 6 weeks though :( and ice packs sheer bliss. I did have heavy bleeding though.

And yes disposable knickers all the way for the first day or so!

Also if anyone's getting lanolin for breastfeeding my top tip is don't buy the lansinoh tube by the tubs of lanolin in the chemist much much easier to get out and cheaper too! That tube broke my heart. I've learned my lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I found button jammies and nighties in the M&S sale. I think guiney's have similar. Had some before, but binned them after childbirth I remember.

I packed three bags in my usual over prepared way. One for delivery (button nightie, drink, snack, hair bobbles, optimistic trashy magazine). One for baby (nappies, wipes, clothes, dummy, blanket) and the last one is post birth for me. (Pj's, shields, pads, dry shampoo, toothbrush, clean clothes for coming home).

I used LOADS of pads. Doubled them up as well.

Lots of great info in here. Thanks again ladies.

This thread is great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭moominn

Happy New Year ladies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Happy new year all!

Did anyone else encounter the pregnancy food police over christmas? My sister in law told me I shouldn't have a brandy snap... Heh.

pwurple wrote: »
    Happy new year all!

Did anyone else encounter the pregnancy food police over christmas? My sister in law told me I shouldn't have a brandy snap... Heh.

Happy New Year!!!

Yep... I had my mum tellin me not to eat so many sweets and sh*te food...." You don't want to get diabetes you know!!!" Lol... I wasn't deterred....

• Advertisement

Happy New Year ladies! x

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Happy New Year Guys !!!

Any one getting period like cramp in lower back ?! Ive had it for the last hour on the right hand side .... Annoying more than painful !

Though ive spent last two days in CUH with my dad - sitting in uncomfortable chair !

Happy new year :)

72 days to go yay! And I have lovely pins and needles in my lady area woohoo lol.

Oh I love the pregnant police: I drink diet coke. Ok not the healthiest thing in the whole world I don't drink tea I don't drink coffee and I don't drink litres of it either. If one more person tells me not to drink it I will force 2litres of it down their throat. Aaagh.

And yes I can eat mayonnaise. And Philadelphia.

And don't get me started on how it's ok to lift C who is a big 18 month old but not ok to empty the condenser bit of the drier. Ones heavier and it's not the water.

Oh and yes I'm planning on breastfeeding again not that it's ANY of your business. Seriously yes it is possible to breastfeed a second child. And if it doesn't work out I live less than a mile from the shops I'll buy some formula. Exactly like I did with C when I had problems.

I love Christmas the visitors not so much!

Oh god I'm in flying form tonight ;)

Happy new year.

Im in such a mood. Got loads of new baby clothes and yesterday evening went to put them away and disvovered that the baby room that was done up (painted, new chest of drawers, new carpet layed) less tgan 2 months ago has very bad damp .
    The chest of drawers is destroyed in mould. I had to take out all the baby clothes that was in it and wash them again.
    I dont know if we will be able to salvage the chest. I txt our landlord. Hoping he will pay for chest if it cant be sorted but it is our furniture.

Then this morning my mum rings to let me know my uncle (in law) (aunts husband) . Took a stroke last night and had less tgan 24 hrs to live. She then rang back half hour later as he passed away.
    Wasnt very close to them but my dad was and he was pretty upset.

Has anyone been feeling movement down low. Like very very low. Wee man seems to be so low its uncomfortable .

Oh Succee :( first of all your poor baby room I hope your landlord sorts it. Sorry to hear about your uncle in law too :(

My movements are v v low extremely uncomfortable at times. But I was checked in hosp sat night and all was good even with pressure and everything so I reckon it's a second pregnancy thing

Oh Succee :( first of all your poor baby room I hope your landlord sorts it. Sorry to hear about your uncle in law too :(

My movements are v v low extremely uncomfortable at times. But I was checked in hosp sat night and all was good even with pressure and everything so I reckon it's a second pregnancy thing

In hosp tomorrow myself so not too worried. Just uncomfortable constantly feel like i need to wee. . Think i had a braxton hicks or something earlier too.
    With my daughter she was always up under my ribs .
    The thoughts of hosp app tomorrow. I should have beenbin last week but no clinic due to being st stephens day so i suppose evefy1 that was due last week will be there tomorrow too.
    Last time i was about 2 and half hrs. Although i asked for the latest app 3.45 so i cant possibly be there that long again.

LH I hope your dad is ok. I'd say the chair definitely didn't help with your lower back pain. I find I get terrible back pain if I'm in anything other than a really supportive chair lately.

Suucee I hope you and your family ok. What a horrible time of year for a family member to pass away... Not that any time is a good time.
    I hope your baby room and furniture are ok and Landlord sorts it out for you.

I'm feeling a lot of pressure down low aswell. I wouldn't say its movements for me tho as I'm still getting them in the normal places in my abdomen. But definitely when I walk the pressure down below is making me walk funny.

Sligo1 wrote: »

I'm feeling a lot of pressure down low aswell. I wouldn't say its movements for me tho as I'm still getting them in the normal places in my abdomen. But definitely when I walk the pressure down below is making me walk funny.

When i take off my serola belt in the evenings i feel like everything is falling . Best way i can describe it.

LH never coped you post till now. Hope you dad ok..

Sorry LH never copped your post either hope your dads doing ok x

I'm getting at least 20 Braxton hicks a day that I register: normally 2/3 painful ones. Horrid yokes. Babies head is down for now so I reckon punches down low and kicks up high. For now because she's spinning around too. I love the movement though: I could see a foot (well not a foot but a something) kicking yesterday and C loves feeling too: she giggles and then kisses/licks my belly. Or wipes her nose ;)

• Advertisement

Landlord is going to dryline the walls in new babys room and get the wall insulation pumped. Happy days. Managed to get all the mould off the chest of drawers too .
    Just hoping he does it before march

On the moany side . I had a lump behind my front top teeth when pregnant with my daughter that used to burst once or twice a day. No pain but would bleed alot.
    Its back . Iwas brushing my teeth this morning and the anount of blood. I firstly thought it was coming from where i recently got tooth extracted but no.
    Was just chilling a few mins ago on the couch watching tv while daughter was napping when i startes to taste blood again. Yuck . Off up the bathroom to rinse and try get it to stop.
    Grrr.

Advertisement