Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Anyone here started on galfer yet? I haven't had my bloods taken so dont know my Hb but consultant said I start taking it anyway. I know the reasons why etc etc..

I'd prefer not to be taking it and wana out it off as long as I can. Will take the liquid form tho when I have to. Just wondering if you guys have been informed the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

What's Galfer?

What's Galfer?

It's an iron supplement. Brings your haemoglobin levels uo to prepare for birth andbrhe blood loss incurred. Some people take spatone and various other supplements but galfer is a lot better for bringing your Hb up. But it can be hard on your tummy and make you quite constipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Yea its terrible for constipation. It hasnt been said to me yet anyway. Bloods were done at last hospital check at 29 weeks and i havent heard anything from them. Im taking pregnacare so hopefully ill get enough from that. I suffer with bowel problems as it is so really dont want to have to start it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have never been recommended galfer. my bloods are taken every appointment, my iron count and reserve are good at the moment.

Seems strange it was recommended without knowing your levels. You can get too much iron as well as too little, but I guessit's hard enough to do.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Have never been recommended galfer. my bloods are taken every appointment, my iron count and reserve are good at the moment.

Seems strange it was recommended without knowing your levels. You can get too much iron as well as too little, but I guessit's hard enough to do.

Yea that's what I thought! But apparently doc tells everyone to take it when they get to the 30 week mark. I haven't had my bloods done since about 11 weeks! Might request to have them done next time I go in.

Must be his thing... Era no harm i'd say, apart from digestive discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

No galfer here either thank god; my blood results are good for now but they are keeping an eye. I have bloods done every 4 weeks minimum so it's easy enough to check aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

Aaaaah, I see.

I haven't heard anything about my last blood tests taken a couple of weeks ago, so I presume that's a good sign.

The previous tests had a higher than average iron level, so they were very happy with me.

I also suffer from constipation so hopefully won't have to take a supplement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

I have to take galfer since I think 15 weeks. Its not too bad. Oh I know the baby down feeling :-) But baby is doing it only sometimes for a wile and then back to normal.
    Spend a whole day in the hospital yesterday. from 9.30 until 4 my spd was killing me from all the sitting and walking around. F..g diabetes thing. I am on tablets now and just hope I dont have to go on insulin.
    Worst thing though, I have a very bad cold and I cant take my manuka honey :-( I could have killed the dietitian just for that. Oh and all this: you need to exercise..." Great yeah just spending so much time on the couch cause I am too lazy do do something else, doesnt have anything to do with my spd. Argghh.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say honey would be way off the list for diabetes alright.

Feel for you on the cold, they are nasty yokes in pregnancy. Only just over mine now, took nearly 12 days to clear it.

Baby does not want to sleep today, or move off my bladder so I can pee!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

I haven't heard anything about my bloods either. taken 2 weeks ago. time before, at 18 weeks. Good but iron on the low side of normal. I asked the OB about it 2 weeks ago and he said in a nonchalant way that sure I could take extra iron. ?? But like many here I get constipated easily, so have put off taking it.
    Taking the pregnacare too, but it doesn't have very much iron in it. Is the liquid Galfer easier on your system?

stick girl wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything about my bloods either. taken 2 weeks ago. time before, at 18 weeks. Good but iron on the low side of normal. I asked the OB about it 2 weeks ago and he said in a nonchalant way that sure I could take extra iron. ?? But like many here I get constipated easily, so have put off taking it.
    Taking the pregnacare too, but it doesn't have very much iron in it. Is the liquid Galfer easier on your system?

The liquid galfer is definitely definitely easier on your system! On my pregnancy last year I took the liquid galfer along with 15-20 ml Lactulose every night for the last month or so and I never had a problem. When I took the galfer tablets previously I got quite constipated.

I'm going to try and put it off but when I start taking it will take the liquid with Lactulose.

The lactulose is a laxative? I thought it was bad to take a laxative while pregnant?
    Will pick up some of the liquid galfer then. Thanks Sligo1!

stick girl wrote: »
    The lactulose is a laxative? I thought it was bad to take a laxative while pregnant?
    Will pick up some of the liquid galfer then. Thanks Sligo1!

It depends what laxative it is. It's fine to take Lactulose while pregnant. And it's over the counter. You don't need a prescription. It's what my consultant recommended while taking the galfer. However, don't take my word for it ... If you're unsure do ask your doctor :)

Ya I take lactolose too... God it tastes manky though. There's other pregnancy friendly laxatives there if you get very constipated too: found out the hard way!

My new found love for the new extra chewing gum means I haven't needed it in awhile though ;)

Thanks again. I'll check it out and get some. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

I am in nesting overdrive !!! Poor husband is going to kill me !!!! I have a list of diy jobs for home as long as my arm ! I have been on all morning about getting nursery sorted NOW !! plus changing bathroom decor and bedroom decor .... Never bothered me before but now its my top priority ha ha

Could not walk yesterday sooo uncomfortable ! Had loads of random strangers asking how long I had left and then when I said 8 weeks .. I got that ohhhhh your very big face grrrrr

Hospitals bags are finished though TG !!

funny I got the same thing right before Xmas. was checking out and the woman at the till said are you nearly there? I thought she was talking about the baby...said no...3 more months. She was talking about Xmas. She then asked if I was having twins. eh...no it's just the one :) !!

• Advertisement

Took all the baby stuff out of attic today (ya I know ms disorganised here ;) ) and cannot believe my little girl was ever so small!

Now to figure out how to wash the swing, bouncer and car seat covers. And find the seatbelt covers for the car seat: why they aren't in the car seat is beyond me!

cyning wrote: »
    Took all the baby stuff out of attic today (ya I know ms disorganised here ;) ) and cannot believe my little girl was ever so small!

Now to figure out how to wash the swing, bouncer and car seat covers. And find the seatbelt covers for the car seat: why they aren't in the car seat is beyond me!

Done exactly thar yesterday. All washed now and put back together. Packed the second bag too. Just need to grab another 1 or 2 cellular blankets . Funny i couldnt find the seat belt covers either. Eventually found some but think there off the buggy. I put them on and they fit so will do the job . I want to get 1 or 2 newborn outfits too. I bought mostly 0-3 and bigger. Have newborn vests and sleepsuits so im not too worried. The size of the nappies . Omg they are so tiny. Getting excited now.
    48 days to go.

Having minor meltdown today... SIL has just told us her build is delayed another bit with the bad weather, and she has now planned to move out Mid-march, around the 14th. My due date is before that and she is in the babies room! Arg! Get out get out get out! It's bad enough i can't get it prepped for baby with a crib and stuff, but now she will probably still be there when I come home? :(

We don't want to kick her out, but jesus, she was supposed to be gone before christmas. It's so awkward bringing this up.

Oh no pwurple. Thats horrible. The thoughts of having house guests when you come home. You just want some tine to recover and relax, and let your 2 girls get to know each other.
    My idea of a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

O pwurple, thats really bad. What a nightmare. Can she not go somewhere else? You need the room. I would tell her to look for a place somewhere else. You need you space and your privacy. I would have looked for a place somewhere else if I would be on her place, like who likes to live with a newborn if its not their own one?

Pwurple I would be livid: I find visitors tough enough let alone possibly having a house guest :( can't believe she doesn't have enough cop on to move out. You so need alone time as a family especially the first few days.

Power went here last night: spent entire night in bed with my 18 month old so crippled today! She's always hated the dark literally from the time we made it to ward after being born and midwife turned off light and she woke everyone screeching ;) hoping this little one isn't as bad!

Well, she said she will be helpful and do all the cooking and help with my eldest. She means really well, and we get on great, but we need our own space for a newborn. She works full time too. You can't work with no sleep. I'll be under pressure to keep the baby quiet all the time, where if I had that downstairs room where she is now, I wouldn't be too worried about waking the rest of the household up every hour or two for feeds. If I'm not waking her, I'll be waking my other child, and my husband. And they both have work/creche to go to every day.

I just need to Woman-Up and talk to her about it. My husband is completely wussing out saying it will sort itself out. But I don't see how it can. So I'll have to be the bad guy. Her mum lives about 10 minutes drive away, surely to god she can go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

That is a horrible situation to be in !! I def' would be hinting that she could stay with her mam .... Why didnt she just stay there originally ?

Anyone get awful pains in their hands at night across the joints and knuckles ?? It is so bad that I can't bend them and it lasting thru the day today as well .. no swelling though just pain !!

I think Ive turned into a whinger the last few weeks:eek: I am wrecking my own head ha ha

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, she said she will be helpful and do all the cooking and help with my eldest. She means really well, and we get on great, but we need our own space for a newborn. She works full time too. You can't work with no sleep. I'll be under pressure to keep the baby quiet all the time, where if I had that downstairs room where she is now, I wouldn't be too worried about waking the rest of the household up every hour or two for feeds. If I'm not waking her, I'll be waking my other child, and my husband. And they both have work/creche to go to every day.

I just need to Woman-Up and talk to her about it. My husband is completely wussing out saying it will sort itself out. But I don't see how it can. So I'll have to be the bad guy. Her mum lives about 10 minutes drive away, surely to god she can go there.

Pwurple OMG I'd be so annoyed. Is this your husbands sister tho? He really needs to take ye lead here and tell her to find somewhere else! I can't believe she won't go of her own free will as it is. But seriously I'd be puttin OH in the spare room until he talks to her!! That's if it's his sister (not on ur side)... (I'm a bit€h tho). Lol

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Pwurple OMG I'd be so annoyed. Is this your husbands sister tho? He really needs to take ye lead here and tell her to find somewhere else! I can't believe she won't go of her own free will as it is. But seriously I'd be puttin OH in the spare room until he talks to her!! That's if it's his sister (not on ur side)... (I'm a bit€h tho). Lol

Yeah, it's his sister. And she's in the spare room.... so I don't think lumping the two of them in together is a runner. Haha. :D

Era, he's in hospital this week having an op, so I can't really stress him too much with it.

Anyway, enough moaning. I'll just suck it up and do it this week. I'll pick a date on the calendar that she needs to be gone for, and have a chat about it.

Families eh.

Advertisement