Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

LH2013 wrote: »
    The doc in the hosp told me they would do an internal at my next appointment ........ Im not keen on getting one really ........ Especially I am bot due until the week after the hospital

I'm very surprised they are doing an internal LH. As January said, there really is no need for this unless they are checking you are in labour or perhaps overdue etc. If you don't mind them doing it fair enough. But if you would prefer things left alone then definitely tell them you would prefer not to have it done. The first time I had an internal was after my waters went, I was in labour an dilating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I'm very surprised they are doing an internal LH. As January said, there really is no need for this unless they are checking you are in labour or perhaps overdue etc. If you don't mind them doing it fair enough. But if you would prefer things left alone then definitely tell them you would prefer not to have it done. The first time I had an internal was after my waters went, I was in labour an dilating.

On my first baby, the consultant gave me an internal at my 20 week appointment... looking back I was clueless but there really was no need for it.

January wrote: »
    On my first baby, the consultant gave me an internal at my 20 week appointment... looking back I was clueless but there really was no need for it.

20 weeks??! Was there a reason for them doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

They keep saying baby big and are really pushing to induce me grrrr they havent done a scan since early Jan but yet think baby big :confused:I fear they will do a sweep and not tell me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

January wrote: »
    You don't have to consent to it if you don't want to.

Yes, think I'll just say No thanks if they ask me to drop the pants!

• Advertisement

They keep saying baby big and are really pushing to induce me grrrr they havent done a scan since early Jan but yet think baby big :confused:I fear they will do a sweep and not tell me !

They can't do any procedure without informing you and getting consent. I would be making a formal written complaint if they did...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'd point blank refuse an induction unless there's a medical reason for it: I need them and it drives me mad because I'm a hippy at heart: I'd love no epidural etc but I'm also a wimp ;) and induction comes with it's own problems. You can refuse if you don't want it. Insist on a scan. If the midwife refuses look for doc/ more senior doc. I find the more assertive you are the better sometimes... I hate internals and I had some serious amount of them last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

cyning wrote: »
    I'd point blank refuse an induction unless there's a medical reason for it: I need them and it drives me mad because I'm a hippy at heart: I'd love no epidural etc but I'm also a wimp ;) and induction comes with it's own problems. You can refuse if you don't want it. Insist on a scan. If the midwife refuses look for doc/ more senior doc. I find the more assertive you are the better sometimes... I hate internals and I had some serious amount of them last time.

Its the doc saying I have to have internal etc I find in maternity in Limerick you dont get alot of interaction with midwives at the clinic !!!

I'm of the same thinking as you cyning. I would refuse an induction unless they could give me a specific definitive medical reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

20 weeks??! Was there a reason for them doing this?

She didn't say and I didn't ask, I'd had no problems up until then either so it wasn't indicated, naive me just thought it was part and parcel of being pregnant! Four babies later I know it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hi LH
    Arm yourself with the facts before your next appt. The facts are that international guidelines and best practice say that a suspected big baby is NOT an indication for induction, tell your doc that you've been doing some research :)
    As we all know, scans only give an idea and are often way out. My supposed 10lber was only 8lbs!
    Also like the others said, there is no reason for an internal before labour. Don't be afraid to say no if you don't want one!
    Good luck :)

Ok I don't know if it's because babies back to back or what but after spending the whole night getting woken up by bh, having huge amounts of pressure and feeling as sick as well I dunno something, I had better be favourable for an induction tomorrow. I've been like this on and off since Fri but it's really ramping up. Just so tired though.

Ok I don't know if it's because babies back to back or what but after spending the whole night getting woken up by bh, having huge amounts of pressure and feeling as sick as well I dunno something, I had better be favourable for an induction tomorrow. I've been like this on and off since Fri but it's really ramping up. Just so tired though.

Sounds like baby could be coming very very soon Cyning! Best of luck xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Good luck cyning

The way I feel right now I'm going to be sitting here in a month and baby will still be in my belly refusing to move ;)

The way I feel right now I'm going to be sitting here in a month and baby will still be in my belly refusing to move ;)

Ah ya would never know. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I just done my 4km walk again . At least it helped get the bowels working. The iron is seriously bunging me up. I skipped 2 days of taking it and still no joy until i went for a walk. I better take it tomorrow. Wil ask in hosp on thurs about taking it every 2nd or 3rd day. Hope its ok.

Suucee wrote: »
    Ah ya would never know. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I just done my 4km walk again . At least it helped get the bowels working. The iron is seriously bunging me up. I skipped 2 days of taking it and still no joy until i went for a walk. I better take it tomorrow. Wil ask in hosp on thurs about taking it every 2nd or 3rd day. Hope its ok.

How are you managing to walk 4km!!?? You must be seriously fit! Maybe I just have absolutely no motivation but I have not been for a walk in literally a few months! I have no motivation now to get up off my arse at all. I'm so bloody lazy....

How are you managing to walk 4km!!?? You must be seriously fit! Maybe I just have absolutely no motivation but I have not been for a walk in literally a few months! I have no motivation now to get up off my arse at all. I'm so bloody lazy....

I always loved walking and when i had spd it drove me up the wall that i could hardly walk to the car so now that that has eased (im still wearing my serola belt for support) i love getting out. Hoping it will get the wee man moving too. I ring my mam while im walking so i have some company .
    Also need to get out of the house. Neither me or LO can stand being inside too long.

Yea you're dead right. I really think I'm my own worst enemy. I've been so inactive this pregnancy compared to my last and I just bet it's gonna have implications on how I labour this time around. I've no one to blame apart from myself. And I feel terrible sitting around house all day with LO. I know is feel better after a walk. I just can't bring myself to get out. I'm definitely gonna try and motivate myself after the birth tho please god. It's not fair on LO either but I'm nearly scared to take him out now, he's been so sick. He's still not fully recovered from last weeks viral infection and previous Norovirus a couple weeks ago.

Are your iron levels actually low sligo1? The midwife suggested I take iron the last day i was in, despite all my iron blood results showing iron within normal levels. I asked why and she said it was normally recommended at this stage of pregnancy. I should have queried more, I don't usually let 'accepted wisdom' slide as a reason but I had been there hours at that stage and had to get back to daughter in hospital.

I took it a few days and felt rubbish. So I dropped to every other day, and then i asked my GP. GP told me to ignore the extra iron thing as long as I wasn't feeling tired (which would indicate iron levels dropping). She said no need to take iron supplements unless they are needed, as they aren't absorbed anyway and you just end up feeling awful. There is iron in pregnacare, which i am taking, as well as eating a fairly iron-high diet with plenty of black pudding, spinach and citrus to absorb it all. No point in trying to force feed myself even more of the stuff without any reason.

Ps, there is no vaccine for norovirus available here yet, but there is one for rotavirus (another of the gastro set). I got it for us, and I've stuck it on the list of extras for new baby in a few months as well as chicken pox. It's a drop that they swallow, rather than an injection.

• Advertisement

Yea they done bloods in jan and when I had my last hosp app 2 weeks ago they told me it showed that my iron was low. Im also taking pregnacare too and told them that.
    Like you I also said it to GP last week and he said the same as yours but said if it was due to the blood test then I prob do need it.
    Im not feeling tired either unless I have a really really bad night but even with waking twice a night im fine during the day.

pwurple wrote: »
    Are your iron levels actually low sligo1? The midwife suggested I take iron the last day i was in, despite all my iron blood results showing iron within normal levels. I asked why and she said it was normally recommended at this stage of pregnancy. I should have queried more, I don't usually let 'accepted wisdom' slide as a reason but I had been there hours at that stage and had to get back to daughter in hospital.

I took it a few days and felt rubbish. So I dropped to every other day, and then i asked my GP. GP told me to ignore the extra iron thing as long as I wasn't feeling tired (which would indicate iron levels dropping). She said no need to take iron supplements unless they are needed, as they aren't absorbed anyway and you just end up feeling awful. There is iron in pregnacare, which i am taking, as well as eating a fairly iron-high diet with plenty of black pudding, spinach and citrus to absorb it all. No point in trying to force feed myself even more of the stuff without any reason.

Ps, there is no vaccine for norovirus available here yet, but there is one for rotavirus (another of the gastro set). I got it for us, and I've stuck it on the list of extras for new baby in a few months as well as chicken pox. It's a drop that they swallow, rather than an injection.

That's really interesting about the rotovirus vaccine... I hadn't heard of that vaccine. Will definitely ask about it.

Regarding my bloods, I requested an FBC last Wednesday and yea my iron has dropped from 13.2 (at around 8 weeks) to 10.4. So it's not too low but i would need to be taking iron due to the possible blood loss during birth.

I think I've just gotten really really lazy tbh. It'd be great if I could blame it on taking the iron! :)

Ha totally read that wrong. thought it was me you were asking about iron levels.

Suucee wrote: »
    Ha totally read that wrong. thought it was me you were asking about iron levels.

Oops! It was! Sorry, brain melting. :)

Lol... We all have good excuses for brain melt tho!

I didn't take my iron for a few days my constipation was gone so so bad... Back on it again now. It's a horrible thing to have to take.

Right my plan for tomorrow is to wear matching maternity underwear the only set I have. That will SURELY help my waters break?! Right?!

Also read the labour chapter in my what to expect book that I didn't look at since last time. No more baby books for me!

That'll do it cyning!

Or go someplace where it would be mortifying for waters to break. I'm thinking snazzy carpets.

I live in a small town: the local shop should probably suffice ;) I've had nightmares believe me!!

Thinking of you today cyning, hope all going well!

• Advertisement

I wasn't favourable :( booked in for next tues they can't wait any longer than that. So cross and irritated now. I was convinced I would be

Advertisement