Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi guys, sorry been a bit absent. Just haven't had a lot of time to post much. Siipina your wee one sounds like a hilarious little fella! Growling! Hahaha.

Suucee you poor thing! It sounds like you're having a really hard time of it. Thank god your sis is coming to give u a hand. I find it so busy now and I'm not suffering SPD like u! It's good your friend mesged you. I was initially going to say there are a lot of people out there (I have a couple friends/ ex friends) that were happy for me to support them through various situations and depend a lot on me yet when I needed their support were no where to b found! But like u said... It's better late than never. I really hope you get some sleep tonight and are feeling better in the morning.

Well my LO the great sleeper was very short lived! Back to waking every 3ish hours during the night again (after 2 nights of great sleep). And she barely sleeps during the day. I'm finding 2 under 1.5yrs very very busy! My fella can be quite difficult and I'm finding it hard not to lose my temper (I haven't yet tho!). I think he's just very spoilt and used to getting everything he wants immediately. And now that Lilly is here he might have to wait a couple minutes for toys or food or story etc... And he just goes ape! Like really mental! I'm just going to have to start ignoring the tantrums because I think bending to his every need and want I'm just making a rod for my own back. He was so naughty today with the temper. I know a lot of people will say at his age you any be naughty or have a temper tantrum.... Those people have yet to see my son!!! Lol. He's the best in the world and so cute and funny and awesomely adorable when he's happy. I jut think we've probably spoiled him a hit much up until now and he's used to getting what he wants in a relative small amount of time.

Hope everyone else is well and all those march babies are getting cuter and cuter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Succee just be careful with the hungrier baby milk ... We tried it and he got very constipated !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

LH2013 wrote: »
    Succee just be careful with the hungrier baby milk ... We tried it and he got very constipated !!!

Yea I have heard this alright so will be seeing how it goes. When we were giving 2 bottles a day of it it was fine so will be keeping an eye. Might mention it to my GP tomorrow anyway when there if I can get an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My older girl is either suddenly being naughty, or going through a ridiculously destructive phase. I thought it ws boys who were supposed to wreck your house? She has smashed 3 things in the past week, put a golf club through the shed window, is using every piece of furniture or ledge as a climbing wall. She was climbing a chest of drawers that I had locked on her tiptoes on the drawer handles... Burned the tips of her fingers by opening the oven and touching the grill. Fell out of our apple tree. She's always been very active but has just gone nuts altogether the last while. She was very good for going to the loo herself, washing hands and the whole lot. She was suspiciously quiet when she went today, walked in to find her stuffing a whole roll of toilet paper into the cistern.

It must be boredom, i've dropped playschool down to 3 mornings a week, and my hands are full with the baby a bit. Although i try to get her to participate, passing me the nappies. I'm going to start organising playdates... Other kids are pretty distracting.

Im thinking of play dates aswell Pwurple. Need something to distract him and tire him out !

• Advertisement

So L was a little better last night but so much better today. Stretching to 3.5-4hrs between bottles. GP was happy enough with starting the hungrier baby milk. It has really helped so hopefully wont constipate him. Had to bite the bullet and route out some 3-6 month clothes today. Cant believe my 4 week old is in 3-6 mnth .

So had good chat with gp . Of course had a bit of a cry. She said down there really isnt that bad. Will talk more at 6 week check but they will wait up to 6 months to give it a good chance to heal and sort itself out. Just keep doing pelvic floor excercises.
    She reckons it is sciatica i have. Perscribed some difene and solpadol. And get as much help as possible. Had my sister here all day so that was great she made the bottles and cooked dinner. Brought A for a walk and was great to have A amused and have company.
    Pain killers are working great but gp said i still need to remember to take it easy. (Easier said than done) .
    Think i have most things sorted for christening and party and will have OH here to get house and everything sorted on saturday.
    Oh and just discovered the reason for toddlers whinging and shouting is down to teething. Getting her back teeth. Feel so bad that i didnt realise sooner. At least i now know its not terribke 2s and she will hopefully get back to herself soon.

Glad you're feeling a bit better today suucee. And glad things are coming together for you. You seem to be having a hard time lately. X

AGHHHHH. The hungrier baby milk constipated him. It was working wonders for stretching him out but the today. Que 2 hours of screaming. Rang the doc (while he was in my arms screaming). The nurse told me to give cooled boiled water and sugar. So had to go wash and sterlise bottle then try get water cooled. All the while he screamed. Gave him infacol to try ease it while we waited. Had my mother here thankfully. She not very mobile but she surely was today. Toddlet was just left to roam free. In and out of the garden . Lucky the weather was ok as she was out playing in the garden with the dogs and kept amused.
    Anyway got 2oz of water and sugar in to him. Gave him his bottle (ordinary milk. Not hungrier baby) . Gave him a wash and into pjs and hey presto we had lift off. And as i was changing him he pooed again. First time i was so happy to see poo.
    Out for the count now poor divil.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Suucee wrote: »
    AGHHHHH. The hungrier baby milk constipated him. It was working wonders for stretching him out but the today. Que 2 hours of screaming. Rang the doc

We mix the bottles so three scoops normal and three scoops hungrier baby ! It helped with the constipation !!!

LH2013 wrote: »
    We mix the bottles so three scoops normal and three scoops hungrier baby ! It helped with the constipation !!!

Had to edit my post as clicked post when tesco delivety driver landed. Ah i just went straight back to normal. Does that help stretch him out. He was feeding every 2hrs before i switched him to hungrier baby.

• Advertisement

Just rang SMA careline as seen so much conflicting info online.

She said it was ok to give 1 bottle normal then 1 of hungrier and so on . Or normal during the day and hungrier at night.
    Think we will alternate as he can sometimes be worse during the day. And i know 7am bottle and 3pm bottle are his most unsettled times.

She said never to water down the bottle (eg 7oz water 6 scoops formula) . My SIL was recommending this and i read it online.
    And also to not mix the 2 types in the same bottle. A friend also suggested this way.
    She also said giving 1/2 - 1 oz if cooled boiled water everyday will be fine. I told her gp said not to but nurse today said to do it with sugar to relieve constipation. She said it is fine but not to put sugar in it.

God so much conflicting advice even from the proffesionals.
    Think ill try alternate and maybe not give water and hope for the best.

Just rang SMA careline as seen so much conflicting info online.

She said it was ok to give 1 bottle normal then 1 of hungrier and so on . Or normal during the day and hungrier at night.
    Think we will alternate as he can sometimes be worse during the day. And i know 7am bottle and 3pm bottle are his most unsettled times.

She said never to water down the bottle (eg 7oz water 6 scoops formula) . My SIL was recommending this and i read it online.
    And also to not mix the 2 types in the same bottle. A friend also suggested this way.
    She also said giving 1/2 - 1 oz if cooled boiled water everyday will be fine. I told her gp said not to but nurse today said to do it with sugar to relieve constipation. She said it is fine but not to put sugar in it.

God so much conflicting advice even from the proffesionals.
    Think ill try alternate and maybe not give water and hope for the best.

Suucee with my fella we gave the hungry milk at night and normal during the day. He never got constipated. So maybe alternating is the trick. But he was older at this stage (a few months). Stopped breast feeding at 5 months. But we did this up until 14 mths. But he only ever needed the one bottle of hungrier milk most nights at that stage.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Suucee with my fella we gave the hungry milk at night and normal during the day. He never got constipated. So maybe alternating is the trick. But he was older at this stage (a few months). Stopped breast feeding at 5 months. But we did this up until 14 mths. But he only ever needed the one bottle of hungrier milk most nights at that stage.

Oh hopefully it works. He just had another poo and was grand not remotely hard.
    Thing is he is actually more unsettled during the day than night. He has bottle at 7 then wants another at 8.30 - 9 then again at 11. Then he will stretch to 3 but wants more at 5 and then 6.30 - 7 again. The hungrier baby milk stopped the continually snacking as i by doing it during the day he was starging to take less at night and look for it more often. So gona give hungrier at 7 am 3pm and the 11pm/12am bottles and hopefully he will be ok that way.

Boys are so so hungry! When our fella was only a couple weeks my friend bought me a tray of those aptimals that you can put the teet on (the 90 ones) so I could give during the night. I was at my wits end coz I could be breast feeding him all night long. So initially the little bottle did the trick. But within a week or 2 he was downing 2 and then 3 of the 90 ml bottles!! Couldn't believe it coz he was only a few weeks old! He was taking around 250ml and was so young. Took him to gp who said give him what he wants as he'll either not take it or sick it up if he takes too much. But not to give him the hungry milk. But we started giving the hungry milk at night a few weeks or so later anyway....

Ive posted this in the newborn thread aswell to c if anyones having a tough time with the 6 week growth spurt? I 'think' Lilly is currently going through this. She on me constantly, napping for only 10min at a time and up all night! She's breast fed and has now decided she hates any form of bottle and won't go near one. She's had a few bottles of EBM before with no problem (if I needed to go out or was so wrecked husband could give it to her). I have been so exhausted the past 2 nights so husband attempted a few times to give her some EBM but she just screamed when the bottle went near her mouth. Yet she latches on to me immediately when I take her. Just finding it really difficult at the moment and can't get a minute to myself. I think the only saving grace is that it's a bank holiday weekend so OH is here with me and can take our fella and keep an eye on him. I wouldn't be able to manage this if he was at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh god Sligo yes... The 6 week growth spurt nearly killed me and it was when S had pneumonia and was just out if hospital: I was exhausted after it! It will pass and she will take bottles again; it's just a really tough few days. The only other thing to check re refusing bottles is she has no thrush? Otherwise don't worry.

cyning wrote: »
    Oh god Sligo yes... The 6 week growth spurt nearly killed me and it was when S had pneumonia and was just out if hospital: I was exhausted after it! It will pass and she will take bottles again; it's just a really tough few days. The only other thing to check re refusing bottles is she has no thrush? Otherwise don't worry.

Thanks cyning... That must've been hard for you especially considering you were prob wrecked anyway with S having pneumonia.

Would thrush cause her not to take bottle? She doesn't appear to have thrush. She's only ever taken 3 or 4 bottles of EBM since birth but never had a problem. Meant to be going to my friends for dinner on Thursday so I'm really hoping she will try a bottle before then otherwise I'll have to bring we with me... Just hoping this only lasts a couple days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It will pass... It's tough while it last ms though! If her mouth was sore she might look for the comfort of boob maybe?

Yup, 6 wk growth spurt is a trial. No sleeping, just feeding/vomitting for a few days.

We have a first tooth here today. Bottom one. Nice to get these out of the way early before the rivers of drool start when the saliva glands start going at 16 weeks, but man she has been unsettled. Rosy cheeks, biting through dummies and bottle teats. And she picked up a sniffle as well, so feeding is awkward when they can't breathe properly through the nose. They always seem to get something when those teeth are breaking through, and she is way too uncoordinated for teething rings or anything that gives a bit of relief. Just gnawing on the bottles. This is when i lost most of my right nipple to baby one though, so at least I'm spared that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

So much thinking about passport for nothing. OHs father died yesterday :-( so we gonna fly over on Saturday over for the funeral. So this week appointment at the embassy to get emergency passport and so much more stuff to organize. Thank god, dog and Guinea pigs are already looked after, black closes bought today as well. Flights are booked and informed how I can feed the little one during the flight. But still so much to do. And so sad. We were planning to go over next month for the fathers birthday and to have the christening. So now they will never meet. But at least he went the best way, went to bed and next morning his wife was giving out if he want to stay in bed all day. He went during the night.
    Just hope it will go all ok with LO during the flight. ah such a sh......

• Advertisement

Oh siipina so sorry for you loss. Hope you get passport sorted .

Sligo i hope Lily settles down. Im dreading a growth spurt. L is feeding every 3 hrs today. Mostly 6oz bottles. Have decided to use ordinary milk during the day and hungrier at night to see if he will start to stretch at night. Bowels seem fine past 2 days anyway so hopefully will be ok doing it this way too.

Im so wrecked . Christening/birthday party was yesterday. Was great day and 2 yr old had a ball. But between getting everything ready. Then decided to head out last night (although i wasnt dtinking) we still werent home till 2.30 this morning. L woke at 5,6 and 7.30. Then had so much cleaning to do. I think i may hit the hay soon. Back and hip still so sore and probably a bit worse from getting stuff organised. Holing it wont be too bad tomorrow as will be on my own with them both.

Oh gosh sipiina, sorry for your loss, it's must be very hard on your husband when it's so sudden.

Really sorry for your loss Siipina. I hope the trip gues ok for ye and LO behaves.

Suucee you amaze me! How on earth did you organise all that with a toddler, new baby and horrendous SPD!!?? Fair play!

So I think L has finished her growth spurt (touch wood). She napped for 4 hours yesterday afternoon... Which has now resulted in another blocked duct for me! And slept from 11pm till 4.30am. I never thought I'd be complaining about her sleeping for long periods!!! But now I'm up feeding and expressing. Pain is excruciating!

11pm - 4.30am. And I thought 12-3.30 was good. ha. Well it was good for L. He then slept until 6.30 but think it was the cold that woke him. Seemed to get very cold early hours of the morning this morning. Even I was cold. Going to set the heater in his room so temp doesn't drop below a certain temp. What temp is the room supposed to be anyway. Hes in baby gro and grow bag.

So he seems to still be feeding every 3 hours again today. and its a struggle to hold him off for the 3 hours and having 6oz each time.. Im hoping because he is having more during the day he will start to stretch longer at night. Ive now tried 3 different types of soother and still cant get him to take one. So he is having 4 6oz bottles of ordinary formula during the day and 3 6oz bottles of hungrier at night. No wonder he is in 3-6 month clothes. (he doesn't always empty every one. but most of them. )
    Ive ordered a slumber bear online so hoping that might settle him a little at night as he seem to love when we turn on his fisher price seahorse. So with the slumber bear it will save me getting up to turn it on. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

11pm - 4.30am. And I thought 12-3.30 was good. ha. Well it was good for L. He then slept until 6.30 but think it was the cold that woke him. Seemed to get very cold early hours of the morning this morning. Even I was cold. Going to set the heater in his room so temp doesn't drop below a certain temp. What temp is the room supposed to be anyway. Hes in baby gro and grow bag.

16-20 degrees is supposedly ideal. I find it freezing when the temperature goes down to 19 degrees! It's usually 19-21 in our house these days, would have been much warmer before baby. Oh and he's usually in vest, babygro, and 2.5 tog grobag.

Thanks for that. Yea he is in the same vest, babygro and grobag. Temp was 15 degrees when I checked it this morning. Its never normally that cold so don't know what happened. MMMM might check the oil tank. We have an oil filled plug in heater so was going to put that on in his room to keep it regular. Our room and daughters room seem to be warmer as we live in semi dethatched house and both our rooms are the one joined while his room is on the dethatched side.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Thank you all so much it was sudden but not surprising but sad.

It was freezing this morning alright. LO had so cold hands, he sleeps as well in vest and babygro and 2.5 grobag. He ll go in the other one though which is a bit warmer as I have to wash the other one for the trip. Have to say a bit happy about the weather as I dont have to worry now that he is getting too warm ;-)

Ah suucee I am getting jealousy, LO settles now for 11 pm then 2.30 am and then 5.30. Its not too bad though. Its all a lot more settled since he sleeps in his cot just beside me. He loves the space so he can exercise. And he needs a lot of exercise.

So Thursday is embassy day. Talked to them this morning and we should get the passport directly there. He will have my surname though as we are not married and we dont have time for this name form. Very weird, so he is having OH surname on his birth cert but not on the passport until we get this name form done. For me it doesnt make sence but well, we need to go out and to come back and thats it. When we are back we can get everything sorted.

No grobags here, she is way too pukey. I'd need loads of grobags. With the blanket when she throws up on it I can just rotate it and put the wet bit down the bottom away from her. Bad mammy probably, but needs must. We keep the temp at about 18-19, which is a bit higher than we usually have it.

There was brownish red in the puke last night which freaked me out, but we had vaccines today so saw the doctor. She said refluxy babies can often get a little tear in the foodpipe, so just as long as it's infrequent, and not very much, not to worry. My poor baba. That must be so sore, and yet she barely complains at all.

Awh the poor thing pwurple.

• Advertisement

Think i'll be deploying calpol later for the first time too. her wee legs seem to very sore from the jabs. Can't even brush off them without her crying. She has sniffles too, plus the sore gums from the teething and the pains in her tummy. Very cranky baby this evening.

Advertisement