Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Aw poor Little fella suucee. Hope hes feeling better soon. Guys it seems there must be something going around! Both mine have snotty noses. I thought Tom was getting a chest infection last week so I took him to GP. But she said hold off on antibiotic. Think there is a possibility he has a touch of asthma but they won't diagnose till after 2 years. So she charted him for an inhaler. There's no chance of him takin it!!! I've tried heaps through the baby inhaler and everything and just not a hope will he keep it over his mouth! I said this to the GP when he had the check up but she just said it'd be grand! Feck they don't have a clue sometimes. Just ridiculous. And the bloody inhaler gadget was €50!
    I mean of course I don't mind spending the money!! But it's totally useless! Sorry rant over.

Lilly has a snotty nose aswell. Put her in the big cot a couple days ago which was a disaster. But she slept great in it last night! And tried her with the solids during the week... She's not that keen on them yet. So will keep trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What do you mean... Like he holds his breath? Or he wiggles away when you try to do it? It's 10 seconds. Might be able to hold him still for it, but it would take two people.

Try it in his sleep maybe?That's what we did at the start. It made a massive difference I think too that the nurse came over and made a big deal out of showing her how to use it... All professional-like. Pity the doctor didn't do that with him.

Is the baby inhalor the one with teddy bears on it, and the little flaps that move about when they breathe? They like making those flaps wiggle sometimes as well. Maybe show him those bits?

If his chest does get bad, make sure you use your health insurance if you have some, skip a&e and demand gp sends to a private childrens ward. I wish to goodness I had known that last year.

pwurple wrote: »
    What do you mean... Like he holds his breath? Or he wiggles away when you try to do it? It's 10 seconds. Might be able to hold him still for it, but it would take two people.

Try it in his sleep maybe?That's what we did at the start. It made a massive difference I think too that the nurse came over and made a big deal out of showing her how to use it... All professional-like. Pity the doctor didn't do that with him.

Is the baby inhalor the one with teddy bears on it, and the little flaps that move about when they breathe? They like making those flaps wiggle sometimes as well. Maybe show him those bits?

If his chest does get bad, make sure you use your health insurance if you have some, skip a&e and demand gp sends to a private childrens ward. I wish to goodness I had known that last year.

O pwurple I'm even more annoyed after reading your post now! GP said the baby inhaler (spacer) should have those little pictures you described. And that he might like the pictures and flaps so may use it. So I said this to pharmacist and pharmacist told me she'd never heard or seen these ones you describe. So I just bought what she gave me (it says baby inhaler on it). It's like a spacer thing for babies that you hold over their mouth. Pharmacist said I need to hold it over his
    Mouth for 30secs. He just won't let me. Even with OH holding him and me holding the spacer! I think the most we've managed is 5 seconds max. And I don't want to distress him so that every time he sees it he panics. I'd prefer the softly and slowly approach and he might start taking it then? What do you think?

Does your daughter have asthma? My cousin died of an asthma attack when she was 5 and my brother was in and out of neonatal intensive care with it when he was tiny. I don't think Tom has it... But this is all precautionary really... If he does have it they won't diagnose it for a while yet.

o and just to clarify its the pharmacist I'm annoyed with! Lol. If id got the spacer I asked for there might have been more of a chance of Thomas keeping it over his mouth for the required length of time :(. Sorry rant over. Thanks for all the advice pwurple.

Oh my goodness, that family history would scare me to bits. No, my daughter does not have asthma, but they said her lungs tend to over-react to headcolds, making her get wheezy. Hence the hospitilisations in feb this year when she couldn't breathe properly. They treat it the exact same way as asthma, but it should go by age 5 they said.

They gave us two types of spacers in hospital, said they were both the same and to use whichever she preferred. One was the teddy bear one with a mask that goes over mouth and nose, and the other was a clear spacer that she bites on. She prefers the bear one.

She is on both brown and blue inhalers. Brown one daily for the winter from first headcold, (it's a steroid, they called this one the 'preventor') and blue one when it turns to a cough or she starts to wheeze (ventolin, the 'reliever').

It's ten seconds for us with one puff... 30 secs would drive her bananas.

I'm trying to remember how the nurse did it in hospital. She gave my daughters teddy a go on the spacer as well, plus me and her dad. And then her.

• Advertisement

Thanks pwurple. I'm pretty knowledgeable about asthma and it treatment due to my work. But that would only be in adults... I'm pretty clueless when it comes to paeds. I tried him again tonight with the spacer. He might keep it on for 2-3 secs max. I tried spraying it straight into his mouth... I think this is probably my best bet tbh... He breathed in and is say got more of the medication than he would with the spacer. He's on the becotide (brown preventer). Already tried the spacer on myself and daddy abd teddy yesterday... He still won't have any of it....

Will just have to see how it goes. I'm not too worried yet tbh... He's just got a mild wheeze really. I just hope he gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Sligo what about showing him a video off youtube of a child using one.
    I always go to youtube for things like this. A hates any one going near her ears due to months of ear infections and eventually grommets so when we have to go for check i show her a vid of a child getting their eats checked.
    Also i spent months tryibg to show her how to use her scooter (even got on it myself) and eventually went to youtube showed her a video of a toddler on a scooter and iff she goes and does it.
    Might be worth a shot at this stage (if you can find a video )
    I had childhood asthma and hated doing it but it was made easier by the fact my sister had to do it too.

Thanks suucee. If I'm honest I really don't think he will copy a YouTube video. But I'll try anything! I just think he's too young to understand. If he won't copy teddy I doubt think he's going to copy anyone :(. But I'll defo try it tomorrow suucee. And thanks do much for the idea :).

Suucee u showed him a couple of YouTube clips while I was holding the spacer. I have to say it did spark up some interest and curiosity in him. He stared putting the spacer over his mouth... But still wouldn't keep it on for more than 2 seconds. But it's a start! So thanks for that! I'm gojng to keep trying with the YouTube clips :) x

Yeah for you tube.

L's urine was normal so no need for letter for paeds. so hopefully all will go ok tomorrow for the flat head. Its really not that noticeable (i think).

• Advertisement

Yay! The brown inhalor is a little nasty smelling I think, my girl does not like it one little bit.

Pwurple I tried the inhaler straight in his mouth and you should've seen the face he made! Lol lol.

Goodluck with the check up tomorrow suucee.

How is everyone doing? Can't believe this baby is 6 months old next week. Where did that go!

I've started weaning properly now this week. I am giving her bits of our food at all meals instead of just the odd bit here and there. She is a bottomless PIT! Ate her porridge this morning, had half an avocado and half a slice of buttered toast for lunch, and spuds with peas and beetroot for dinner. Plus a bit of ricecake at 3pm.

Had first settle-in day of creche today. Took about an hour. She did not like it one little bit. She cried every time I tried to leave the room. Kept trying every 10 minutes for a little bit (just stepping outside the room), and eventually got to 10 mins of distraction from the creche minders where she didn't start complaining. I really hope it was grouchiness from hunger, she seems to be going through some sort of mega-spurt. Seems way too early for the separation anxiety, although she has started to get a little bit strange when people she doesn't know pick her up.

A couple more goes of getting to know them, and then it's back to work for me.

Going back to work... What do I do there again? What if I can't remember anything! What are peoples names? What are all my passwords? What do I have to wear? Eek!

Gosh pwurple your LO is a great eater!!! Thats fab! We've only really started Lilly the last week on a bit of purée in the evening. Gonna take it slow as she's literally only just getting the hang of the spoon and her face does be covered in goo! Lol.

Are you looking forward to starting work again? It must've been hard going at the crèche when she didnt want you to leave. I really think I need to get back to work. I've been off nearly 2 years now. I think I will go back in the new year. I need to get my teeth into something again. But I'm so scared. I'm so so scared as I know I won't be at the top of my game. I know I'll have to work my way back up.. And I don't know of I can...

Was in the foulest of foul moods today and all evening. I'm not sure if its hormones or what. But I had one of those days where my reactions to things (mainly my OH) were just psycho! Lol. Haven't had that since I was pregnant! Maybe I need to get out more... Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Had planned on starting solids today... But S is sick. Again. Just a really awful cold but with her history... I just wasn't taking the chance of starting her!! I was mad to start C, and started her at 5 months, S is barely showing any signs of readiness.

Pwurple I'm slightly jealous of you going back... I miss having 5 minutes of non mammy time. I'm sure a day or two of settling in will help no end :)

Yeah, that's what I'm looking forward to alright... Unaccompanied toilet breaks. Knowing there are no children on the floor to step over.

The fear is Making a complete gombeen of myself. It will happen, there will be some conference that everyone will have been to, that changed something groundbreaking and I will be clueless. Era. I'll get the hang of it. Just try to read loads and hope something goes in between the ears.

Really REALLY hope the smallie doesn't catch many bugs in the first few weeks of creche. We've been so lucky, she is like an ox so far. One tiny sniffle and that's about it.

Moods are all over the place here too sligo. Dunno where it is coming from. Crazy hormones no doubt. Had total slump today, just wanted to lie in bed for the day (but had to do that creche thing) and got mega cross with yer man for various imaginary slights (filling dishwasher wrong). Luckily he was at work late, so he totally missed all of my seething rage.

Omg pwurple I killed OH for the dishwasher yesterday!!!! Not putting the bottles in properly! And murdered him for leaving a wet towel on the floor. And then him asking if Tom could have Nutella. I went psycho! I hope it's all out of my system today.... Makes me and everyone else feel terrible :(

cyning wrote: »
    Had planned on starting solids today... But S is sick. Again. Just a really awful cold but with her history... I just wasn't taking the chance of starting her!! I was mad to start C, and started her at 5 months, S is barely showing any signs of readiness.

Pwurple I'm slightly jealous of you going back... I miss having 5 minutes of non mammy time. I'm sure a day or two of settling in will help no end :)

Cyning poor S, I hope she's better soon. She's had an awful run of it. L wasn't really showing any signs if readiness at all. Last week she Wasnt even openin her mouth for the spoon. She's kinda starting the last few days tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Pwurple do you give toast fingers ?! Little man is great to eat might try baby rice cakes today !! Got my back to work date of 30th October .... Not really looking forward to it at all !

Ah cyning that poor lil woman. Hope you get sorted soon with her .

I have given Luke baby rice cakes and he's well able for them. He loves his grub. he's such a hungry divil but A is the same even now.
    Haven't tried any other finger food. He's not yet 6 months. although he does seem able but id be worried about the gluten. Guys would it matter giving a bit of gluten now. he will be 6 months at the end of this month he's 23 weeks now.
    or dairy for that matter. would have to put a lil butter on it.

We have figured out the soother is causing the problems at night so trying to really restrict it as had been trying feeding him , not feeding him, night light on / off, music on / off. But it seems to be a case of wanting the soother then loosing it and he still cant find it.
    He was at a stage where he wanted it constantly but now have really limited it. so no longer gets it in the car (although had to compromise there and take the sun sheild off so he can see out. i also straightened he's seat a little so not as reclined, i use a rear facing suit suitable from birth as wasnt able to deal with the weight of the other one so sold the whole travel system, anyway i had it at the furthest recline so brought it up one today and he was delighted)
    I dont give it at all in the sling and he falls asleep himself no problem and dont give it going to bed (he chats himself to sleep) or after dream feed.
    But struggling for other naps during the day.
    Last night he went to bed at 7.15 was asleep by 7.45 at the latest. Not a peep until OH went in at 11 for dream feed. and slept until 6.15. thats the best ever for him.

• Advertisement

Yeah, toast fingers, with butter. I'm a food hippy, so it's bread we make ourselves. Loads of rising, sour dough usually. I went to a bread course years ago that whittered on about gluten intolerance in ireland being higher because of our historical reliance on soda bread rather than yeast breads... Something to do with yeast breads breaking down gluten which soda doesn't. Brennans bread takes 40 mins from mix to baked, sourdough takes about 48-72 hours. Haven't had time to actually check that out in any scientific readings, but we do long-rise bread anyway because it is yummier.

She would eat the arm off me given the chance. Actually goes red in the face angry and fists going if anyone eats in front of her and doesn't give her some of it.

Was the whole day in hospital today with eldest for allergy testing.... And we got the all clear! We are now an allergy free household, wahoo! Asked about weaning the smallie and they said wean as normal, anything goes from 6 months, as there as been no excema so far. So to celebrate, we all had nutella pancakes. All fine. Yay and yay. :)

They had a small baby in the clinic today, about 3 months old, getting an epi pen for an egg allergy. I asked how they diagnosed a food allergy at 3 months. Apparantly the PHN had advised the mother to put raw egg white on nappy rash. Baby went into anaphylaxis. Scary stuff.

Jeez at 3 months you would get such a fright. Oh yea for no allergies.
    How do you get time for baking bread. i hardly get time to make dinner or lunch.
    I tried baking bread when pregnant but didnt go to plan at all.
    I hate baking or cooking even for that matter.
    I prefer to sit down with a box of play dough or head out for a walk through the forest or just mess on the floor. (thats exactly why i had kids cause i never grew up, hehe).
    A loves helping me cook but gets bored after a while when were done stirring so think she's going to be just like her mammy.

I dunno really... It kinda makes itself! Sourdough is a great one that way, I just leave it growing away in a dark room in a big bowl. I take some out when I am sticking on the oven for something else and throw in the flour/water to top up the bowl. Kenwood machine kneads it, so it's just chucking it in the oven and putting on a timer. I've great plans to build an outdoor pizza/bread wood oven out of old bits of glass and some mud in the back garden in a few years. Right beside my imaginary jacuzzi! :D

I couldn't bake or cook when I was pregnant. Even the thought of it made me want to puke. I was eating food out of plastic bags the whole pregnancy.

Was just looking at that stage 2 milk. I didn't bother changing the last time, because there was no price difference, but now it's a euro cheaper. Tempted. Hmmm.

No still not tempting me to bake at all. Im such an out dorsey . im never at home id have to wait by the oven then. . That may change over winter i suppose.

I changed milk last time due to the price difference too . In aldi though its all the same price (as far as i could see the last time. But they only do SMA , which i use so alls good. ill probably still change anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Suucee wrote: »
    Ah cyning that poor lil woman. Hope you get sorted soon with her .

I have given Luke baby rice cakes and he's well able for them. He loves his grub. he's such a hungry divil but A is the same even now.
    Haven't tried any other finger food. He's not yet 6 months. although he does seem able but id be worried about the gluten. Guys would it matter giving a bit of gluten now. he will be 6 months at the end of this month he's 23 weeks now.
    or dairy for that matter. would have to put a lil butter on it.

We have figured out the soother is causing the problems at night so trying to really restrict it as had been trying feeding him , not feeding him, night light on / off, music on / off. But it seems to be a case of wanting the soother then loosing it and he still cant find it.
    He was at a stage where he wanted it constantly but now have really limited it. so no longer gets it in the car (although had to compromise there and take the sun sheild off so he can see out. i also straightened he's seat a little so not as reclined, i use a rear facing suit suitable from birth as wasnt able to deal with the weight of the other one so sold the whole travel system, anyway i had it at the furthest recline so brought it up one today and he was delighted)
    I dont give it at all in the sling and he falls asleep himself no problem and dont give it going to bed (he chats himself to sleep) or after dream feed.
    But struggling for other naps during the day.
    Last night he went to bed at 7.15 was asleep by 7.45 at the latest. Not a peep until OH went in at 11 for dream feed. and slept until 6.15. thats the best ever for him.

Sorry to jump in, have a February baby and as there is no thread I follow this one. I'm a coeliac and the current recommendations on gluten is to introduce it between 5 and 7 months, especially if there is any family history.

I'm doing blw and started this time at 23 weeks as my little madam couldn't wait til 26 - she could hold all the food and at 28 weeks now eats everything we eat. I introduced gluten in the form of weetabix at 23 weeks, hope that helps

Sorry to jump in, have a February baby and as there is no thread I follow this one. I'm a coeliac and the current recommendations on gluten is to introduce it between 5 and 7 months, especially if there is any family history.

I'm doing blw and started this time at 23 weeks as my little madam couldn't wait til 26 - she could hold all the food and at 28 weeks now eats everything we eat. I introduced gluten in the form of weetabix at 23 weeks, hope that helps

Ooh thanks for that info. I suppose 3 weeks really isnt much but id say he'l love it. Its so hard trying to decide what to give them when there not allowed egg, dairy or gluten before 6 months. It does leave you limited.
    No food allergies at all in our family so hopefully it stays that way. Might give him a bit more choice now.

Am I the only one not started on solids yet?

Pwurple that's great about the allergies you must be thrilled :)

S is flipping covered in that stupid virally rash today at least that means she's getting better.

Ooh and I make a super simple yeast bread: fire ingredients in mixer, mix, leave to prove for an hour, stick back in mixer shape in loaf shape leave for 20/30 mins bang in oven for 40 and it's done. Really simple once you've done it a couple of times!

Cyning you're not really far behind us tbh. We only started Lilly on a bit of baby rice in the evenings last week to get her used the spoon. Just started yesterday to give her a bit in the morning aswell. She's only getting a teaspoon.

Cyning you have a receipe for some sort of healthy muffins don't you? Would u mind posting it? Tom has gone off all his vege and healthy food the last while. Thr only thing he will eat is bread and scones! Want to try different for him. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Spinach and cheese muffins! Love them here: I find throwing the spinach in the food processor and the onions to make them much smaller the best: hubby loves them too! http://www.babyledweaning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9995

I sometimes throw some grated carrot in there too.

Advertisement