Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are neighbours taking advantage?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,
    could do with some advice outside opinions etc.
    situation is as follows
    recently we bought a house with garden which was not overlooked. at the back of house there is a narrow stripe of council land which is the behind the rest of the houses on the row also. council will never take it back and it appears that the other few houses have taken the bit behind their house as part of their own garden.

anyway between when we viewed the house and when we moved in the neighbours beside us have taken over the stripe behind our house. the pervious owners probably gave them permission as they were apparently good friends and it wouldn't bother him as he was moving on.

they have planted shrubs etc.
    we feel this is unfair and very opportunistic of neighbours. we haven't said anything to them as they seem nice and its horrible falling out with neighbours

would value opinions of what to do, do we have right to be annoyed etc.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

did they just plant it or fence it off as part of their garden ? If it's the former why would you care about planting?

I take it you mean the strip is at the back of the garden not the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shipsey

thanks for reply.

yes stripe is at back of our garden.

they have put green house on it and lots of small trees and shrubs

they are there a lot and we can plainly see them which affects our privacy. I also think that we should have the opportunity to use the stripe as they are using their own part and ours.(I know it doesn't belong to any of us.). Also
    we bought a house that was not suppose to be overlooked at the back and this is not the case.

I also worry that if we want to sell the house in future it could be off putting to potential buyers.

what do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Two words,cheeky ba$tards.I would ask the auctioneer for an explanation from the seller as to why they have taken control of this ground from the time you viewed the house.

Some fcukers can never get enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

are they using the bit behind their garden also? If so, then I would think you could nicely state that you would like to use the ground behind YOUR house for some gardening yourself, its not an allotment. Alternatively contact council and ask why are people using land beind your house that they own and littering......
    But I prefer the ask the auctioneer line for starters, especially if its all been done since viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Other than the fact that they are overlooking your garden, Im not really sure what you are expecting to get from this? Its not your land; you dont have any claim over it and you dont really have any right to tell the neighbours that they cannot use it because you want to. Perhaps put up a fence or something to sort out the privacy issue, but other than that I dont really see the issue or how it will be resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

You could possibly inform the council. Its not your land, or your neighbours, and you have no rights to it (except through adverse possession).
    Id be having a chat with the council to inform them that someone has adversely taken possession of their land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Scortho wrote: »
    You could possibly inform the council. Its not your land, or your neighbours, and you have no rights to it (except through adverse possession).
    Id be having a chat with the council to inform them that someone has adversely taken possession of their land.

Correct. It's not yours and it's not the neighbour. Let the council decide on the matter. The fact that yopu bough a house not overlooked is of no consequence if any developement behind you is within the planning regulations. Of course if the council did leave the piece of land idle it could become an attraction to anti social elements

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Stand naked out in you garden, so that when they go to the land they can see you.
    That will give them a shock and they will me mindful of your privacy after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Regardless of the legalities of who owns what...this is a VERY cheeky move by your so-called "nice" neighbours. I would ask them to remove their stuff as you intend using the bit yourself (they have no more right to be on it than you do). If they react any way negatively, ask them would they mind if you used the bit behind their garden and when they say "yes" then they are proving your point for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

In fairness if they had a word with the previous owner of your house and the PO said "no bother you use it, I won't use it at all" and then they put some work into it and a greenhouse etc. then how were they to know that the previous owner would sell up. Just offering an alternative scenario.

That said if you wanted to use it yourself like a lot of other people have done then you should mention it to them as the more effort/work that they put into it the worse it will be when you tell them to take a hike.

If they just took it then that was cheeky and you should tell them to F*** off as it will affect the value of your house going forward with the reduction of privacy.

Its a bit awkward for you either way.

• Advertisement

In fairness if they had a word with the previous owner of your house and the PO said "no bother you use it, I won't use it at all" and then they put some work into it and a greenhouse etc. then how were they to know that the previous owner would sell up. Just offering an alternative scenario.

That said if you wanted to use it yourself like a lot of other people have done then you should mention it to them as the more effort/work that they put into it the worse it will be when you tell them to take a hike.

If they just took it then that was cheeky and you should tell them to F*** off as it will affect the value of your house going forward with the reduction of privacy.

Its a bit awkward for you either way.

The OP really has no right to tell them to take a hike or anything of the sort. Its not their land, and if privacy from council land is a concern then its up to them to put up a fence or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Build a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Build a fence.

- which is about 10ft high and blocks out all the light to the grounds.

Adn whilst you are there, drench it in weed killer.:D

djimi wrote: »
    The OP really has no right to tell them to take a hike or anything of the sort. Its not their land, and if privacy from council land is a concern then its up to them to put up a fence or something.
    The OP has as much right to use it as they do legally and morally more right. I'm assuming the neighbours have moved in here recently mind, between the viewing and the contract signing.

I would not just let this lie if this is indeed what's happened.

If they've always been there and it was clear at viewing time then I'd say tough on the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It isn't a mid morning national radio show host living beside you is it OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

OP there is a simple solution. Get yourself some deckchairs and table and a BBQ and go out to the strip of land every day and chill out.

IF your neighbours ask wtf you are doing tell them the land does not belong to them. you can also start digging holes everywhere saying you plan in the future to do something . keep repeating until the get the message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

In answer to the question in your title - yes, they're certainly taking advantage.
    You could inform the council, but it's likely that they won't take action unless the need the land for something specific. In some cases the council are happy for lands to cede to others through adverse possession as it removes any maintenance responsibilities from them.

I would discuss the issue with your neighbours - I mean even they must know they are being cheeky about this, and as you say they are effectively using 'their own' strip and 'yours'.
    You are right to be concerned about the potential impacts on selling your property in the future. It's best to deal with this soon rather than let it drag on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

OP. I don't understand where you say "other neighbours have taken it as part of their garden"- do you mean that they have extended their boundary wall/fence to include this land as their garden, or do they jump over the wall/fence at the end of their garden and "potter about " on this land?

What do the deeds of your house say about this land? Is your end of garden clearly marked/defined?

It seems from your post that something has changed since you viewed/purchased the house- as a result, the estate agent may shrug their shoulders.

I think the first step is going back to the estate agent and possibly your solicitor to establish who exactly owns the land and what rights, if any you have to either use it, or have it left untouched.
    Depending on the answer, progress with your neighbour. If they feel you will progress the matter with the council, they may think twice around establishing any claim to "your" part, but really, everyone should be staying away from that land if it's not theirs to begin with as it could create insurance complications if anything happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

it s council land ,
    Build a fence to get privacy,
    it,ll probably have no effect on your house value ,unless theres a large building on it.
    POLITELY tell them how you feel about, they may think you do,nt care .

When you buy a house you have a right to a land inside the boundary.

You cannot presume to own anything more than that.

Sometimes there,s spaces between buildings which people take over ,
    on an informal basis,
    if someone wants, total privacy buy a detached house or cottage .
    SINCE most land in ireland is empty,or agricultural land ,
    people usually get away with it.
    Unless someone makes an formal complaint.

murphaph wrote: »
    The OP has as much right to use it as they do legally and morally more right. I'm assuming the neighbours have moved in here recently mind, between the viewing and the contract signing.

I would not just let this lie if this is indeed what's happened.

If they've always been there and it was clear at viewing time then I'd say tough on the OP.

The OP has zero right to use it, legally or morally. The OP can kick up a fuss with their neighbour if they wish, but the bottom line is they have no right to demand use of, or dictate who can use, a plot of land that neither party owns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 shipsey

thanks for all your replies, you have all given me food for thought both the very practical suggestions and the more creative ones.

to answer some of the queries you raised in your replies,
    yes the other houses seem to have fenced off the council land behind their house as part of their garden. the next door neighbours has built a large shed on their bit.

I think I will talk to auctioneer tomorrow and see what he says.

I feel we do need to let them know how we feel about it. I am dreading it though as they are the type who came in to introduce themselves the first day and welcome us. they also put the bin in our drive when we haven't been home.

we are here two months and haven't said anything not wanting to rock the boat so they probably think we aren't going to/don't mind - and in the two months they have been doing a lot of work on it although a part of it they do use for old broken bits and pieces and rubble.

really hate these type of situations and is the first time finding ourselves at odds with neighbours
    thanks again- any other words of wisdom - keep them coming they are much appreciated - even the ones that don't agree with our view point:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ha that's a classic strategy, be really nice and you're unlikely to say anything, they know they're taking the piss, and as soon as you say something, I guarantee you'll see another side to them.

But so what, do what you have to do, I couldn't have that, nope time to stop caring what they think, because they don't care what you think.

The OP has zero right to use it, legally or morally. The OP can kick up a fuss with their neighbour if they wish, but the bottom line is they have no right to demand use of, or dictate who can use, a plot of land that neither party owns.
    It's not just a single plot. It's one "plot" in a row that have more or less all been taken over by the adjacent respective landowners. One of those landowners has grabbed 2 plots for himself though. If it were me I would occupy the plot myself until such a time as the council took it back in charge.

I wouldn't just let this slide myself, you might be ok with your neighbour doing what his has done but I wouldn't be. I'd start making use of the plot myself and if Mr. Neighbour keeps using it then I'd start using the plot behind his property to see how he feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

It's not just a single plot. It's one "plot" in a row that have more or less all been taken over by the adjacent respective landowners. One of those landowners has grabbed 2 plots for himself though. If it were me I would occupy the plot myself until such a time as the council took it back in charge.

I wouldn't just let this slide myself, you might be ok with your neighbour doing what his has done but I wouldn't be. I'd start making use of the plot myself and if Mr. Neighbour keeps using it then I'd start using the plot behind his property to see how he feels.

Just fence it off as others have done, let him know what you're doing, but tell him you're doing it, as in don't ask if it's ok, just say this is what I'm doing so you'll have to remove your stuff.

But do you not get my point that it doesnt really matter what people have been doing with the plot as it doesnt belong to the OP or to any of their neighbours? Yes its annoying what has happened, and the OP is of course free to kick off if they want to upset their new neighbours and cause a ruckus a few weeks after moving into the place, but the bottom line is that it would cause a row over a plot of land that neither party has any rightful claim over. Its not really any different to someone body starting something over who can use the green in the middle of the estate; the only difference being that this plot of land lies adjacent to their garden.

The only issue is the one of privacy, which can be easily sorted by erecting a fence at the end of the garden.

But do you not get my point that it doesnt really matter what people have been doing with the plot as it doesnt belong to the OP or to any of their neighbours? Yes its annoying what has happened, and the OP is of course free to kick off if they want to upset their new neighbours and cause a ruckus a few weeks after moving into the place, but the bottom line is that it would cause a row over a plot of land that neither party has any rightful claim over. Its not really any different to someone body starting something over who can use the green in the middle of the estate; the only difference being that this plot of land lies adjacent to their garden.

The only issue is the one of privacy, which can be easily sorted by erecting a fence at the end of the garden.
    Legally neither party have a right to use the plot. Agreed 100%.

This is not that black and white though. The neighbour's have taken the p!ss here getting stuck in just as the house was being sold. They saw their opportunity and pounced. The OP should pounce back and start using the plot themselves.

The OP's neighbour's don't care what the OP thinks/feels. OP needs to tell them that they'll be wanting to use the plot behind their garden just like every other house on the row INCLUDING the neighbour in question.

Legally neither party have a right to use the plot. Agreed 100%.

This is not that black and white though. The neighbour's have taken the p!ss here getting stuck in just as the house was being sold. They saw their opportunity and pounced. The OP should pounce back and start using the plot themselves.

The OP's neighbour's don't care what the OP thinks/feels. OP needs to tell them that they'll be wanting to use the plot behind their garden just like every other house on the row INCLUDING the neighbour in question.

I would be inclined to say have a talk to the neighbours, but no more than that. I just dont see it being worth starting a war with your new neighbours the first few weeks you move in over a plot of land that neither party owns. What happens if at some point in the near future the council turn around and take it back, and you are then left with no land and neighbours that you dont get on with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

quiet word with the neighbour should sort it out.

simple question to them ..... do they want to use it or do they want you to report the matter to the council - which will result in them having to remove whatever they put up and other neighbours will loose their strip of land because they got too greedy....I'm sure the other neighbours wont want to loose their "free" strip of land, so might put pressure on your neighbours to hand it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's probably a good idea to have a chat with the auctioneer before doing anything else and make sure you're fully informed. Remember that you could be living beside these people for a long time so if you do speak to your neighbours about it then use a bit of tact. Being on bad terms regardless of who is to blame is never pleasant so bear that in mind before approaching them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

This thread is full of useless high-horsery comments and internet hereos.

The first step is to discuss the matter with your neighbours in a non-confrontational or accusatory manner. You will likely be living beside these people for years and it's best to keep things civil.
    e.g you can say that you've noticed that many of the neighbours have taken the plots behind their property into their possession and that you are considering doing the same with the plot behind your house. No need to accuse them of 'grabbing your piece. You could initiate the discussion on the basis of asking them the history of the plots, how long some of the neighbours have had possession of them, if the Council have ever entered into any communication wet them - stuff like that.

If they point black refuse to 'move out' of the plot behind your house, that's a different matter, but I wouldn't worry about this initially. They will be just as keen as yourself to maintain good neighbourly relations I'd imagine.

Advertisement