Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS for Alarm panel and phone line

Options
  • 09-07-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

anyone ever put a ups (battery backup) on an alarm panel?
    I have a Guardtec from Network Security which is a simple enough wireless panel and then my phone with UPC, cisco 3950 modem.Neither draw a whole lot, i'd like a ups that would keep them going for a min of 8 hours and ideally 48. Basically survive a power but while we were away and keep active and be able to dial out if necessary.

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations
    hick

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The battery in the panel should hold the system up for 24 hours.
    Holding the panel up for longer just requires a bigger batter , perhaps housed in a power supply beside it.
    The UPC modem is another thing, It would really depend on the current consumption of the modem.
    Bear in mind if there is a power cut UPC will quite possibly be down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

thanks for the reply. power went out recently and the battery didn't last more than 15 mins in the panel, only for I had the installers code I would of had to get them out to reset.

Both have minimal draw with no more than 45 Va between them. point taken on the UPC being down in the area, but I'm happy to safeguard against my own power loss

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Sounds like the alarm battery needs to be replaced .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Well with 15 minutes you definitely need a new battery in the panel.
    Most of the suppliers in the sticky would stock mains UPS that would hold up the modem.

As Koolkid said .. If the mains goes . UPC will be useless . With a UPS the modem will have power but no ip connection . It will however prevent the system from alarming due to a line fault .
    You could get a gsm unit and have that as a backup to the UPC .

• Advertisement

If an alarm is set & a line fault occurs it will flag an alert but it will not cause an alarm.

Not on UPC unless you're using IP with an external server . The Alert wouldn't happen immediately

Im aware of that, it was more that this was giving the impression that an alarm would activate on a line fault.
    Evolution1 wrote: »
    It will however prevent the system from alarming due to a line fault .

Sorry mad bad should have been clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

As Koolkid said .. If the mains goes . UPC will be useless . With a UPS the modem will have power but no ip connection . It will however prevent the system from alarming due to a line fault .
    You could get a gsm unit and have that as a backup to the UPC .

A polling GSM I hope.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    A polling GSM I hope.

Gsm is just as vulnerable as a UPC line
    Although GSM requires no physical tampering .

Gsm is just as vulnerable as a UPC line
    Although GSM requires no physical tampering .

Please note the word 'polling' in front of GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Morkel28

Why not you buy some solar cell that will help you to generate the power even there is a shortfall of the power.And also its a long term investment and you can protect your home and business while there is no power there.
    Learn more about private security companies

kub wrote: »
    Please note the word 'polling' in front of GSM.

Hasn't mentioned if his system in monitored so polling would be useless ...

Hasn't mentioned if his system in monitored so polling would be useless ...

Of course you are correct, if someone is self monitoring a system then obviously they would not need to be too concerned as to the point of such technology.

Advertisement