Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cork City council guilty of crimes against art?

Options
  • 09-07-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

A few years ago a public house in Parnell Place was done up with a really impressive mural type painting covering its entire facade. Regrettably the Cork City council claimed that the art work was not in keeping with the other buildings and did not comply with regulations and the owner was ordered to paint over this beautiful artwork which was a terrible pity.

Recently I was down in Emmet Place and saw a monstrosity there called "cow up a tree." This monstrosity is in a public place, in full view of the public - not even on private property and to the best of my knowledge it was allowed and possibly paid for by Cork City council.

With regard to the former example of art in Parnell Place, I would point out that the Cork City council have subsequently been found wanting with regard to planning decisions - there are plenty of ghost estates in the suburbs to testify to that assertion and recently I read that Cork City and County councils are to be investigated due to planning irregularities over the past 15 years. Irony abounds. Perhaps what was lacking in Parnell Place was the obligatory backhander.

It seems to me that decisions made by Cork City and County councils were contingent on whether or not a lobbyist was there to sweeten the deal. In a culture like this, it is hard to blame the briber when politicians have no interest in what is right or wrong but only whats in it for them. One suspects good planning applications were routinely rejected for lack of a bribe - which is why I never applied to build anything in or around Cork.

As for the cow up the tree, one wonders if this is the city council giving the two fingers to the people of Cork, - it would not be the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I liked the cow.

I also liked the Minecraft Pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Cork City Council are guilty of being inept.They cant even get the basics right.Its the day recently when I saw 9 fellas standing around a flower bed that I thought to myself that they are beyond sorting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really, really liked the cow. It's long gone too BTW.
    I also liked the Elvis mural - shame it was painted over.
    Planing in Cork city is a joke - Opera Lane exists in its present form.
    Thing is, I love R&H Hall building, the old tax/fas building and the bus station - many people hate these buildings. It is very subjective.
    I could show you pictures of a home made shanty structure at the back of my house which the cc planning department failed to do anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Recently I was down in Emmet Place and saw a monstrosity there called "cow up a tree." This monstrosity is in a public place, in full view of the public - not even on private property and to the best of my knowledge it was allowed and possibly paid for by Cork City council.

Recently? Cow Up a Tree came down at the start of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

That cow up the tree was complete crap..and the money they paid for it. madness..

Cork City Council are a bunch of muppets.. Yes the only thing they are interested in is making money with doing as little as they can complete wasters, on all accounts, planning, housing the whole lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What was not to like about the cow?
    It was funny.
    It looked great.
    It provided a nice seating area.
    I entertained tourists and locals alike.
    It got people talking about art.
    I was well made and seemed vandal proof.
    It gave a great focal point to the place.

Maybe we should just decorate our city with flowers and lifelike statues of dead people ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I still think that planning in Ireland is a joke - Cork City Council aren't special despite the so called Opera Lane being the blandest, most soulless example of a new street with zero vegetation and no street furniture imaginable. It is an outdoor shopping mall and truly horrible. Although people probably would have objected to anything creative, though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was reading there recently about the great designs that were done for the revamp of the parade. Those lights are suppose to be based on sails since cork is a harbour.. Right yeah..

Really you like the cow, cant say I thought much of it looked like something you would paper mache at home and perhaps if you had to hand it in for a exam.didnt see the funny side of it, just cost a fortune to have it there..

Vandel proof id say they just could not be arse.. It is a shame that they don't let some of the good graffiti artist loose on the city brighten the place up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Anyone else see the huge colourful mural taking up the whole side of that arty building on Patrick's Quay (opposite Merchant's Quay)?

It really brightens the place up. I hope this isn't covered over for not being 'inkeeping with the other buildings'. There's some cool art on the walls leading down the alley next to it too.

The artwork on Half-Moon Street is nice too, portraits of various authors and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Gamayun wrote: »
    Anyone else see the huge colourful mural taking up the whole side of that arty building on Patrick's Quay (opposite Merchant's Quay)?

It's called Camden Palace Hotel and yes it's beautiful, also the ones down Pine street

Advertisement